HWBOT Community Forums

[Ivy-Bridge] IHS removal extreme Test

der8auer

koScgl.jpg

PC-Watch published a test few days ago about changing the TIM on Ivy Bridge CPUs. 5-10°C better was the result. But what about LN2? I tested it for you!

My test is based on the test of PC-Watch: IHS removal, change the TIM and glue the IHS back on. First I tested the CPU on air to see the changes. To show the full profit I used LN2 aswell.

Step 1: Pretesting on air

Setup:

Intel Core i7-3770K

GIGABYTE Z77X-UD3H

4 GB G.Skill 2133 9-10-9-28

Scythe Katana 3

Gelid Extreme

der8auer Fusion rev3

qBVDFl.jpg

For the test on air I clocked the CPU to 4200 MHz at 1,224 Volt and tested for 20 minutes using Prime95 large FFTs. To avoid mistakes I mounted the Scythe Katana 3 times. After 20 mins the maximum temperature reached 83°C. I straight noticed that Core 0 was a lot cooler than the rest.

ITvfJ.jpg

Step 2: IHS removal

Ivy CPUs are not soldered anymore as PC-Watch already showed. Using a razorblade the IHS was removed after a couple of minutes. Cleaning the chip I straight noticed that the stock TIM is realy bad quality and already completely dry. That's not how a thermal paste should look after few months.

SBpWul.jpg7SKKCl.jpgW8JMwl.jpg

Step 3: Change to GELID Extreme

GELID Extreme seemed to be one of the best pastes in the past for extreme overclocking. So I put a little bit in the middle and spread it over the chip.

gvZmal.jpgKMtyvl.jpg

Step 4: Glue the IHS back on

The IHS is not only protecting the DIE - it's also important for the correct mounting. So I decided to glue the IHS back on to the CPU PCB using some normal silicone glue. To get the correct pressure I put the CPU back in the socket and left it there for about 24 hours.

aaDY0l.jpgAN10kl.jpgqul76l.jpg

Step 5: Retesting on air

I used exactly the same settings and also 20 minutes of prime 95 to get a compareable value. The difference in cores 1-3 is about 5 kelvin. But core 0 is much cooler with about 8-9 Kelvin. I'm sure this is one of the reasons why the CPUs clock much higher with only core 0 active.

SeEQU.jpg

Step 6: Let's get the LN2!

I tested this CPU already last week on wPrime to get a comparable result. 6293 MHz were 1024m stable. More voltage did not result in higher clocks.

[hwbot=2281599]submission[/hwbot]

Now after using the GELID Extreme between IHS and DIE I was able to push the CPU to 6385 MHz. Almost 100 MHz more and ranked 4th here on HWBot
:)

[hwbot=2286149]submission[/hwbot]

Benching wPrime32m I could push the CPU to 6437 MHz - ranked 2nd global!

[hwbot=2286147]submission[/hwbot]

Conclusion:

I would not recommend this to 24/7 users. 5-9°C more is not worth losing the warranty of a 300 € chip. However extreme overclockers can get some extra MHz changing the thermal paste
:)

Note: This is just a shorted and translated version of my original Test at PCGHX Forums: http://extreme.pcgameshardware.de/extreme-kuehlmethoden/218944-extreme-test-wlp-wechseln-bei-ivy-bridge.html

Edited by der8auer

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys :)

Good work :). So how far off is the die from the IHS? Did you do a mounting test to see how much paste is needed?

I don't know whether this is just an issue with my IHS but the inner surface is not as planar as it could be. The edges of the DIE have a little more space to the IHS than the center. That's why I used "quite much" thermal paste. The result shows that it can't be that bad :D

Very nice! Now remove it again and try LN2 without IHS :)

I think with IHS is actually the best way because:

- the mounting mechanism presses on the IHS to make sure the CPU is perfectly mounted

- without IHS, you will need a perfect mount to avoid cracking and optimal contact

Imho, the way der8auer did it is the best approach.

I think with IHS is actually the best way because:

- the mounting mechanism presses on the IHS to make sure the CPU is perfectly mounted

- without IHS, you will need a perfect mount to avoid cracking and optimal contact

+ you have to remove the entire mounting system of the socket. Otherwise the pot would not even get in contact with the die, but would rest on the metal frame due to the reduced height of the CPU.

Moreover Intel just seems to have raised the forces for the ILM to a minimum of 317 N (maximum at about 600N !). For applying those forces a heavyweight monster-pot giving pressure onto a few square-centimetres of brittle silicon is not the best idea i think.

@Roman: talked about the topic at the EOS - few days later it is done :D Thanks for sharing your experiences with lots of pics!

Edit:

Why kelvin?

Since in sience temperature differences are always indicated by using the kelvin-scale. (fyi: 1 degree celsius equals 1 Kelvin)

Edited by McZonk

Why kelvin?

Using Kelvin makes the entire thing more scientific.

Actually telling differences in temperature in Celcius is just wrong. Kelvin is the correct measuring unit for it :) That's how university changes you :D

@ Chris: Yea I know :D Just could not resist trying it.