HWBOT Community Forums

MSI GTX 680 Lightning...its here

Hazzan

More like hardware tools actually. The voltage was controlled by accessing the vrm controller directly via i2c over usb and then using internal software from chil to send commands to it. But yeah, in the end it's not a viable option for end users.

^that's it, sounds simple enough:D

Ok well not really but hopefully it gets sorted out.

Ok, could be :) Tho 2.2.3 works pretty nice, but I didn't test it on ln2 ;) Whole different story ofcourse.

I have test 2.2.3 extreme on cold and easy you can have the 1750mhz... and don´t need to mutch voltage... the proble is you can´t up more then 1750mhz on afterburner (limite +550), so all we need for now is one flash how work with abe 2.2.3 how have default clock on 1500mhz (+550 it´s enauf)!

Elmor you can tel me if the voltage set with abe only aply for 3d mode? Today i will try a diferente solution

Edited by Billy-The-Kid

looks like my card did not get the CB/CBB fix memo. the coldest that I can drop too in stupid mode or with load is -22 /-30 and Google is not giving me good answers today so I will just ask:

is everyone sitting with 680's and low cb/cbb issues or am I just very lucky?(again)

^that's it, sounds simple enough:D

Ok well not really but hopefully it gets sorted out.

Me too.

I have test 2.2.3 extreme on cold and easy you can have the 1750mhz... and don´t need to mutch voltage... the proble is you can´t up more then 1750mhz on afterburner (limite +550), so all we need for now is one flash how work with abe 2.2.3 how have default clock on 1500mhz (+550 it´s enauf)!

Elmor you can tel me if the voltage set with abe only aply for 3d mode? Today i will try a diferente solution

Not sure since I used other solution, but I don't think so unfortunately.

looks like my card did not get the CB/CBB fix memo. the coldest that I can drop too in stupid mode or with load is -22 /-30 and Google is not giving me good answers today so I will just ask:

is everyone sitting with 680's and low cb/cbb issues or am I just very lucky?(again)

What kind of CB/CBB issues are you having? Meaning what happens exactly. Do you have bios with only P0 power state (=always 3D mode)? Otherwise you'll get single color screen after Windows desktop is loaded at those temps.

The "unlocked" LN2 bios that MSI sends out with ABX have all power state's active.

ah man that sucks. where is the light at the end of the tunnel? I am not high enough up the food chain so I have not tested or maybe they are still busy with all the requests and will get a chance. I did however find a few bios versions thanks to the g00gle. All of them do have the "P" states just like yours and provide nothing special in the form of much extra volts etc one even provide less vgpu than the bios that was shipped with the card :) The numbers .3A .F8 .F7 .39 and one other but i can't find where i documented the number, again nothing special otherwise there would have a screenshot or something.

worthy to note: the F8 bios has a "Quite" fan profile in case anyone interested in having you PC not take off at start up :)

What kind of CB/CBB issues are you having? Meaning what happens exactly. Do you have bios with only P0 power state (=always 3D mode)? Otherwise you'll get single color screen after Windows desktop is loaded at those temps.

The issue's experienced with the card tested are mostly the single "color" screen but not only when the desktop loads. if the card is colder than -25 (with no load) it will do the "color" screen, hell even during the 3d11 physics test if the hand is to heavy.

Then anything colder than -30/-35 is no screen at all and if you reboot at this temp the vga card is not initialized, sigh, get the heat gun warm up to -22 (reboot reboot reboot yay. had a blast!)

Would something like the bios with only P0 help or is classic cold bug, time to get a new card?

all suggestions welcome.

will get more ln2 on Monday and try again "shrug" maybe 3rd time lucky.

Only 11 days to go :(

I haven't had CB or CBB with the 680L yet, although haven't gotten much colder than -60 or so. A few minutes after I start pouring I keep running into issues with driver crashing whenever it switches power states. I can get to desktop every time but just can't get any benching done on it yet.

I'll have to see about the new bios, constant p0 state sounds like it will fit the bill.

Guest cowgut
ah man that sucks. where is the light at the end of the tunnel? I am not high enough up the food chain so I have not tested or maybe they are still busy with all the requests and will get a chance. I did however find a few bios versions thanks to the g00gle. All of them do have the "P" states just like yours and provide nothing special in the form of much extra volts etc one even provide less vgpu than the bios that was shipped with the card :) The numbers .3A .F8 .F7 .39 and one other but i can't find where i documented the number, again nothing special otherwise there would have a screenshot or something.

worthy to note: the F8 bios has a "Quite" fan profile in case anyone interested in having you PC not take off at start up :)

The issue's experienced with the card tested are mostly the single "color" screen but not only when the desktop loads. if the card is colder than -25 (with no load) it will do the "color" screen, hell even during the 3d11 physics test if the hand is to heavy.

Then anything colder than -30/-35 is no screen at all and if you reboot at this temp the vga card is not initialized, sigh, get the heat gun warm up to -22 (reboot reboot reboot yay. had a blast!)

Would something like the bios with only P0 help or is classic cold bug, time to get a new card?

all suggestions welcome.

will get more ln2 on Monday and try again "shrug" maybe 3rd time lucky.

Only 11 days to go :(

Did you try the other dvi conection?

i did try that on my dcII(shammy mentioned it) now less cbb so its ok to restart but still best to use dice with a session first for tests i still have still cb -43c .

pll did nothing for cb but did help for higher clocks at same voltage,try to use that to heat the pbc up?

now i can atleast reboot ok and no issues (like you) i had before.

might be hard to get elmor clocks at these temps but at least its not standing around with a torch all the time

With hard mod its better since card is at 1.23v in 2d so its faster to warm

You guys know that some cards are getting stuck in 3d mode,that would be great if we can find out whatsup....issue for some but good for others???

as for the setting performance level 0 with INV i did try that but ran slower and crappier in my tests

Edited by cowgut

• Crew

why can't we just hardmod it? If MSI give us the mods then it's OUR fault if the card dies.

But if they give us ABX it's 'THEIR' fault the cards die (according to the people).

So why not give us the mods and let us break our own cards! It will be so much easier and they won't be held accountable for any damage.

Pleaaaaaaase. This LOC will totally be broken if no one can compete at full strength

Yes but let us be allowed to void warranty :D. I want to do it

Totally agree,

I would gladly trade my warranty for a P0-state-only BIOS with constant voltage and a boost clock of 500Mhz from base.

But then again, I understand if this is probably difficult for MSI too since they have nVIDIA watching their every move...

and get good scores at this limit?

well now you see that is relative to what you think is a good score :D

My answer: yes you can push the card to a point past what the reference cards will do and NO you can't push enough to make the score count for anything on the bot or for LOC!

why can't we just hardmod it? If MSI give us the mods then it's OUR fault if the card dies.

But if they give us ABX it's 'THEIR' fault the cards die (according to the people).

So why not give us the mods and let us break our own cards! It will be so much easier and they won't be held accountable for any damage.

Pleaaaaaaase. This LOC will totally be broken if no one can compete at full strength

Completely agreed!

thanks bud, worked like a charm on the one card but unfortunately until there is a proper solution to control the beast this and my other cards are still a pile of ... well you fill in the blanks ;)

Right, when using higher voltages and lower temps you might notice black screen issue similar to AMD cards. There's an easy fix though, just make sure you use VGA output and not DVI (DVI -> VGA adapter, only works with one port).