HWBOT Community Forums

TridentX + Z77X-UD5H: Set TRRD=7

Leeghoofd

good ones are green but he has black pcb also. i have a green based PCB as well but it doesnt clock that well, just under 1300

I assume you verified that 'just under 1300' is indeed the limit of the memory kit and not the board, right?

Just set up my rig again to see how high the blue BBSE kit can go with the new F6x BIOS. Test settings:

- DDR3-2400 divider

- C8-11-8

- 1.85Vdimm

- Vref all auto

- loose 2nd/3rd subs

- cpu around 4500

So, started testing:

- 100 BCLK BIOS to OS-> 32M stable

- 100 to 102 BCLK in OS -> fail after 1 loop

- 102 BCLK BIOS to OS -> 32M stable

- 102 to 104 BCLK in OS -> fail after 3 loops

- 102 to 104 BCLK BIOS to OS -> fail after 5 loops

- 104 to 100 to 104 BCLK BIOS to OS -> 32M stable

- 104 to 106 BCLK in OS -> fail after 5 loops

- 106 to 100 to 106 BCLK BIOS to OS -> can't boot/post

After that I had to clear CMOS and lost all capability for running 2400/104. It's now crashing at the 1st loop. Same settings in BIOS, same methodology, same everything. Given that fiddling with memory timings does not change the stability grade (loose/tight all result in early crashes) and that a certain method of power cycling does help, I think it's an electrical compatibility problem rather than BIOS at this point.

//edit: just a couple of minutes ago I was stuck at loop1 failure and after fiddling with auto/normal vref setting and power cycles, the memory is running 32M stable again :).

//edit2: soft reboot request in OS gave me a hard reboot instead; back in OS ... loop1 failure

//edit3: did 104 -> 100 -> 104 in BIOS (including power cycles) and it's running 32M stable again. Did not change any voltage or timing.

//edit4: soft reboot request in OS turned into hard reboot instead (again); back in OS ... loop3 failure.

maybe i should have posted this or i might not have here, but F6X and F10X use a different bootup sequence which bypasses some things which limit the samsung's speeds, The BIOS isn't meant to be a beta BIOS in line with the others, just to fix 1 or two problems. The(person who made the BIOS) already knew it would have a negative affect on some other types of memory.

The inconsistency thing is a bit odd too, like you said, a different boot up sequence works. Like if I set 2600mhz with the samsung ULV and then goto 2400 then it will fail to boot, but if i go back in and change the multiplier to 26x no issue it works. I have to clear CMOS and load a saved profile for the 24x to work, and if it doesn't then apply the settings again and it works. It seems that it is fine with booting and such unless you go into the BIOS and change a memory setting. Of course with BBSE it prob is different, but this might be good for booting with higher multipliers for screenshots and such, but this boot sequence will just be engaged when the board recognizes samsung ULV. Otherwise it wont be like this in future BIOSes for your BBSE.

Edited by sin0822

all I am saying that it hold more weight if you didn't say it was on F6X, because F6X has known issues with some memory, and thus it will just be put into the issues that only exist on F6X, and basically be thought of as only occurring with F6X. That is what i am saying.

massman, try same settings but pull trfc to 95 or below. I dont think i have EVER ran my bbse that loose, but on UD5, trfc above 95 gave me headaches. during giga 4.5 32m comp, i used trfc 70.

also, are you sure you arent "overvolting" your bbse? my kit is very particular about voltage. 1.875 it will pass 1.880 fail on up5.

2nd

i found more 32m stability with bbse when i left imc voltage setting @ auto. i use vtt 1.2. I would use 1.15 imc thinking the .05 rule still applied and the voltages were tied, but when left at auto it actually worked better.

im not doubting your testing ability, im just relaying what i experienced in hopes it finds you a solution.

F6X was better for booting PSC. once i found i couldnt 32m the way F5B would (or at all), i flashed back.

settings i can boot easily with on all air:

1.2v VTT

auto IMC

1.875 vDIMM

2400 memory multiplier

107.15 bclk

memory timings top to bottom

8-11-7-21-33-4-4-16-19-7-75-4-16-1-2-2-A-A-1-1-1-1-4-1-4-4-4

these would be my sort of tight air baseline.

I tried F6a bios, it was a headache to get ram stable even though it boots higher

stick to F5b i reckon

for my runs with PSC last night i had to get timings right, very tight or it would not even post LOL strange but it requires a lot of experimentation to get it going well

for 1300-1328MHz last night i did

2.1vdimm -50C (had trouble getting colder). in my first bench with RAM at -150C i could do 7-10-7 but last night i couldnt get 1300 to even post

DIMM slots 1&4 were clocking a bit higher and easier to have my ghetto pot installed

7-11-7-25(22)-10-4-4-8-12-6-74-4-16-1-A-A-15650(doesnt do shit)-122(doesnt do shit)-1-1-1-1-4-A(1 in OS)-A(4 in OS)-4-4

really bad wazza as i was just trying to get one run and keep at it but just didnt have the legs, kept crashing early. i think i will try again with -150C on RAM(gotta redo my ghetto RAM pot). Maybe 7-10-7 will work, that would improve efficiency considerably as well....particularly in closing loops

my kit is the rubbish bin that fester had out of 8 sticks, james has insane bin for those two 1400 sticks, fester has some nice bin also. I'm happy with a door stopper kit that goes as hard as these do even though fester says they are average LOL. It's hard work though, still trying to figure it out. subzero RAM is an interesting challenge

screen00b.jpg

zen's BBSE kit is very specific with voltage. 1.88 or 1.885 in bios depending on board was basically perfect voltage and it would behave best once i used that

if RAM doesnt run like it should it's usually contact issue 95% of fixes have had contact cleaner and hair dryer treatment with success

i also do not let the board boot loop if it fails OC, just power down, reset.

i also look at the bios LED lights and if i see a flight to backup bios i power cycle right away, no point wasting time giving myself a headache

Edited by dinos22

massman, try same settings but pull trfc to 95 or below. I dont think i have EVER ran my bbse that loose, but on UD5, trfc above 95 gave me headaches. during giga 4.5 32m comp, i used trfc 70.

also, are you sure you arent "overvolting" your bbse? my kit is very particular about voltage. 1.875 it will pass 1.880 fail on up5.

2nd

i found more 32m stability with bbse when i left imc voltage setting @ auto. i use vtt 1.2. I would use 1.15 imc thinking the .05 rule still applied and the voltages were tied, but when left at auto it actually worked better.

im not doubting your testing ability, im just relaying what i experienced in hopes it finds you a solution.

F6X was better for booting PSC. once i found i couldnt 32m the way F5B would (or at all), i flashed back.

settings i can boot easily with on all air:

1.2v VTT

auto IMC

1.875 vDIMM

2400 memory multiplier

107.15 bclk

memory timings top to bottom

8-11-7-21-33-4-4-16-19-7-75-4-16-1-2-2-A-A-1-1-1-1-4-1-4-4-4

these would be my sort of tight air baseline.

Thanks for the input, man! Much much appreciated! :).

I'll check for Vdimm and 'overvolting', although I have tried that before too. In the "'51' debug code - any fix or workaround?"-thread I also mentioned that I could work around the 51 problem by pumping 1.9V for POST and then lower it to 1.85V or 1.8V in OS for 32M stability. For now, I'm using what Leeghoofd says he used on the Gene to run 2600C8-11-8 32M. I do remember having to tighten up the Flares when looking for stability. Thanks for the reminder! Fyi, this is what I ran the Flare kit at when the UD5H would randomly boot up at 1300: http://i46.tinypic.com/24exjth.jpg

Just tried the settings you suggested on F5b and anything above the DDR3-2200 divider would just return an overclocking failed warning. I'll give it another go later today

• Like 1

Thanks for the input, man! Much much appreciated! :).

I'll check for Vdimm and 'overvolting', although I have tried that before too. In the "'51' debug code - any fix or workaround?"-thread I also mentioned that I could work around the 51 problem by pumping 1.9V for POST and then lower it to 1.85V or 1.8V in OS for 32M stability. For now, I'm using what Leeghoofd says he used on the Gene to run 2600C8-11-8 32M. I do remember having to tighten up the Flares when looking for stability. Thanks for the reminder! Fyi, this is what I ran the Flare kit at when the UD5H would randomly boot up at 1300: http://i46.tinypic.com/24exjth.jpg

Just tried the settings you suggested on F5b and anything above the DDR3-2200 divider would just return an overclocking failed warning. I'll give it another go later today

on UD5 + Flares I would start at 102bclk and walk it up .5 bclk at a time to avoid the hard shutoff with the 2400 multiplier + high bclk. for 2600 multi, I would have to start flares at 1.72 volts, let it post, re-enter bios then up voltage to 1.82v again in bios save and exit for 2600 32m stability.

Dino is right about my bbse ram kit though. UD5 = 1.885v UP5 = 1.875v to tame the sticks.

if f6 bios performs (is stable to pass 32m predictably and consistantly) and keeps booting like it does now.... man that would be sooooo killer.

Edited by zeneffect

so you guys got this figured out yet? im working on some stuff that might cause heads to spin... just gotta find a imc that will cooprate with me at 2800 c7. currently 2750 is the limit for me for flares in dual chan before the imc gives up.

dino and fester got "the next step forward" working so im not sure if its the board rather than the combination of components and approach to overclocking.

• Crew

my 2nd cpu clocks memory much better than previous. 1250 8-11-9 is now possible where previously it wasnt at all. So its like youngpro said, some cpus are just better at clocking memory than others.

"just gotta find a imc that will cooprate with me at 2800 c7" you talking ln2 clocks here right :o

my 2nd cpu clocks memory much better than previous. 1250 8-11-9 is now possible where previously it wasnt at all. So its like youngpro said, some cpus are just better at clocking memory than others.

"just gotta find a imc that will cooprate with me at 2800 c7" you talking ln2 clocks here right :o

yes, no other way to do it :)

heh way to bring it back on topic sin :P

so massman, any luck with flares?

I have some screenshots on an USB drive that kinda shows the problem. Booted up with the Gene at 2666C8-12 1.85V easily whereas any GBT failed at 2600Cx. I'll upload them later.

By the way, at Campus Party we tested some really crazy memory that could boot up at 2800C8-12-8 on the M5E, but also failed at 2600 on UP5.

Did you ever test your kit on a M5x?

• Confused 1