HWBOT Community Forums

gulftown ES vs Retail

diezel

I just got a terrible ES chips ( :( ) and very good retails too

You have to be lucky when you buy a new (ES or no ES chip).

I think is the same...

Further...there are a lot of risk when you bench a ES chip cause there are no warranty.

Is my opinion

I see no point making a difference between ES and Retail - it was always that way and why it should be different now? sooner or later retail will be better, no 975 or E8600 ES could keep up with the best retails...

I am fully on massman's side in this discussion, he pointed it all out already.

i like to see that the es scores get no point's. just like diezel says, look @ the 2d top. i only see es @ the top. I5 is released a long time ago and still nobody get a better retail cpu. we are afraid this stays the same @ gulftown. then we must buy cpu after cpu (950 euro's) to get a nice one. than we can stop our hobby immediately. A nr. 1 score wil be imposible. where is the competition going than? only the guy's whit good contacts whil be @ the top...

thanx, Johnny.

Let's just hope that the golden A0's are very very slow clock for clock ( which they have in the past) and that the retails will outperform the early samples!

I would strongly advise against buying these - they might not last very long.

• 2 weeks later...

here's my opinion on the whole es chip debate

- es chips are usually cherry picked from either intel or amd to show potential of production stepping...

- some es chip will oc as good as some golden retail cpu

- the reason its always the same people getting es chips or special treatment by the oem to test some product is because they are the best at what they do.... oc'ing

but to be fair to everyone since there is a big debate everytime this subject is talked on the public place why not rank the es chip result into 2 category

- un-official max cpuz screenshot etc... enter all benchmark possible in hwbot.... no hwpoint added....

- official es chip hwbot database .... give out points relating to the es chip database based on different benchmark run by different user ...

now the difficult task if it is even difficult to do .... monitor wich cpu is an es chip or retail ... what kind of validation process would be taken to make sure no one cheat etc....

i hope my opinion made sense

Just got word from Elmor. Apparenly his Q3FE/Q3QP A0 stepping has a coldbug and is not hitting over 5.5G Vantage.

So, the difference between A0 and B1 is that A0 dies faster and the fact that we know some A0 have no coldbug. Should be ban CPUs because they have no coldbug?

Guest cowgut

what if it was another piece of killer overclocking es hardware that the top guys could not get but some little guy did and he tore up the bot? would that be ok?

es are not to be sold hwbot should not promote breaking the intel law.lol j/k there

Guest cowgut

wow rich i just looked at that,damb that guy done good.

woohoo for the little guy!

btw

es is a ok with me someones got to pop those chips so we get decent retails.

@Massman,

if you are so lucky that you buy that GPU than you desurve it. but not everybody can get his hands on a GOOD es. so it's unfair to me!

yes, i think so too. Only Benchers they are rich, sponsored or both of them, have a Chance.

But thats not an Core i7 980XE A0/B1-Problem. Its the same Problem with each Hardware. ;-)

these early ES samples are available to everyone who knows where to find them. They are rare, but can be bought.

A step further than that... I just bought a Q3FE es because it was the only chip I could get my hands on as stock is not due in Australia for 2 weeks. I wasn't priveliged or connected to get that, it was the only thing I could buy!