HWBOT Community Forums

gulftown ES vs Retail

diezel

I think legal actions can be taken if you buy stolen property, even if you don't know it's stolen.

its called Receivership..and yes 9 times out of 10 they will do you for receiving stolen goods

at least in my country they do

You can buy it on eBay ;).

These CPUs are not legally obtained mate... Intel will agree with me... They are made for testing only, not for selling them on ebay. If i buy a watch from a thief that makes me legal? Of course not... AY made a WR with an ES these days with the cpu at 6518. Can you find a retail cpu on hwbot that ocerclockes that high or even close...?

The buyer does not sign any contract or nda, or other such legally binding contract Chris...now could it be that the chip is considerd "stolen" :confused:

It's the seller who is unethical, not the buyer IMHO.

receiving "stolen" goods IS illigal mate... Almost everyware... and allowing this attitudes you force people to be illegal in order to compete with the ones who own illegal HW.

I haven't heard of ANYONE that's gone to prison because of buying a CPU on ebay. As long as Intel doesn't do much about these chips (they could buy them themselves, for instance...), there's not much of a problem.

I bet everyone in here have either used some sort of illegal cracks and downloaded copyrighted material from the net. That's not any better than buying stuff on ebay.

Let's turn benching in "We go to Asus's HQ, test 20 Q3FE's find the best one and publish various scores with it".

Soon some people will be running 980X ESs @ 6.5GHz Vantage and the ones with or without money will be forced to running Vantage at... 5.6 or 5.8GHz at best...

Guess we can tell people to go buy 50 illegal ES's from ebay if they want to have a chance at competing...

I haven't heard of ANYONE that's gone to prison because of buying a CPU on ebay. As long as Intel doesn't do much about these chips (they could buy them themselves, for instance...), there's not much of a problem.

I bet everyone in here have either used some sort of illegal cracks and downloaded copyrighted material from the net. That's not any better than buying stuff on ebay.

And because some have illegal software we all must buy illegal hw, maybe steal some cars and houses why not kill someone... And in sports we should give drugs to the athletes so they will get better scores ;)

And because some have illegal software we all must buy illegal hw, maybe steal some cars and houses why not kill someone... And in sports we should give drugs to the athletes so they will get better scores ;)

Still, the legal issues are not a problem, if Intel starts to make lawsuits to those who buy the stuff on ebay, then we can discuss. But as long as it's practically legal to do this there's no reason to block these chips.

My point was that you do illegal stuff if there's a minimal risk of being caught. As long as Intel and AMD do nothing about ES chips in circulation, the risk is even smaller than if you download an mp3 file.

My comments are also based on the fact that this is actually illegal, which I'm not convinced is right.

Still, the legal issues are not a problem, if Intel starts to make lawsuits to those who buy the stuff on ebay, then we can discuss. But as long as it's practically legal to do this there's no reason to block these chips.

My point was that you do illegal stuff if there's a minimal risk of being caught. As long as Intel and AMD do nothing about ES chips in circulation, the risk is even smaller than if you download an mp3 file.

My comments are also based on the fact that this is actually illegal, which I'm not convinced is right.

so hwbot encourages users to be illegal if they want a WR or even a place at the top 40. As far as i see it, there is no fair play here and no rules. If you can find and buy an ES cpu and you don't mind risking getting caught, then you will be at the top of the rankings, or else if you wanna be legal and play nice, you will not have a chance (the 300hw points limit makes it even harder ;) )

ES's are cheaper on eBay than the retail...

Again, just look for them and they are there :)

And they can die in the blink of an eye too.

You keep saying buy an ES, do that and that.

They're cheaper ( yeah... 750-850$ vs 999$... no warranty vs warranty... )...

Why don't you overclock your ES with dry ice or liquid nitrogen and use the necessary voltage to hit the clock frequencies required to compete at the top level ?

Come on, aren't you the brave one who bought an ES and keep encouraging the people to buy and overclock ESs ?

ES's are cheaper on eBay than the retail...

Again, just look for them and they are there :)

Are there enough for anyone to buy? Or only the crappy ones that they didn't fit the expectations of the seller on OC? ES cpus are not enough for everyone to buy like the retail edition. Some people bought many ES parts. tested them, kept the best for themselves and their team and sell the crappy on ebay. ES are really limited in number and hard to be the first who tests them ;) So we all must find people who are responsible for the leaks and test them first so we can keep the good cpus. And you call that fair competition... lol

I dont overclock my CPU on DICE or LN2 because:

a) I dont have an LN2 due to the safety regulations in my country with Dewars i have to pay £150 to get it serviced which i cannot afford at the moment,

b) My pot is made for LN2 being 4.5Kg not DICE and as such cannot run properly on DICE.

c) My ES is no longer with me and has been passed on.

d) I DID overclock my ES to 5.3GHz on Water if you care to look and it is working PERFECTLY under 100% load at stock frequencies and volts as it should :)

Thats just like buying a Retail CPU euklidis, you take the luck of the draw when buying one, you may get a good chip you may not.

The more you test the more likely you are to get lucky. That goes for Retail and ES

Edited by Mutant_Tractor

And they can die in the blink of an eye too.

You keep saying buy an ES, do that and that.

They're cheaper ( yeah... 750-850$ vs 999$... no warranty vs warranty... )...

Why don't you overclock your ES with dry ice or liquid nitrogen and use the necessary voltage to hit the clock frequencies required to compete at the top level ?

Come on, aren't you the brave one who bought an ES and keep encouraging the people to buy and overclock ESs ?

+1 mate. 100% correct ;)

a) I dont have an LN2 due to the safety regulations in my country with Dewars i have to pay £150 to get it serviced which i cannot afford at the moment,

b) My pot is made for LN2 being 4.5Kg not DICE and as such cannot run properly on DICE.

c) My ES is no longer with me and has been passed on.

d) I DID overclock my ES to 5.3GHz on Water if you care to look and it is working PERFECTLY under 100% load at stock frequencies and volts as it should :)

come on mate. Do not act like you do ton know that ES parts do not pas a QC like the retail editions...

blah blah blah

Then what the heck are you doing talking here about extreme overclocking ?

You can choose to ignore or play the dumb, but you do realize that if you're an extreme overclocker who wants to compete at the very top... or heck, the top 40 which now thanks to this situation requires the user to have a Q3QP or Q3FE ES under his possession, and when you want to compete you have to go LN2 and to hit those frequencies you need to punch in 1.85V +... and that voltage is a killer with those chips.

Now don't play the smart-ass and the I can do that, I did that, I would do that, when it's not you who'll be the one to spend his so hard worked cash to get a chip that might be... a different stepping! a bad overclocker! a chip that will die in a few minutes, leaving you with a few good scores, a few mediocre scores or with no scores at all! and you'll have to spend another grand or so to buy another one with the same risks once again.

It's easier to say "Jump from an airplane" to another person and you feel like doing it when you're not the one jumping, isn't it ?

I love how you have resorted to personal attacks now BZ :)

All very grown up of you,

I hit 1.75V on that chip and it works perfect so dont go telling me that i dont know what im doing,

I find it VERY insulting that you think because i dont have LN2 in my posession cause i need a dewar service that i know nothing about extreme overclocking.

I don't see where I talked about your extreme overclocking knowledge or experience, all I said was that you seem to ignore than during extreme overclocking you pump in way higher voltages than you do yourself, and that those can kill your CPU even instantly.

If you want to continue suggesting people to buy those CPUs and punch such high voltages to get the desired clock frequencies good for you, but I'm not the hypocrite in this case.

Now feel free to bitch at me, I really, honestly do not care.

And i said that im hitting 1.75v which is i think everyone in this thread would agree is pretty damn close to 1.85v and i wasnt using LN2, so surely my chip should be dead correct?

This has gone WAY off topic anyway, the point is ES>Retail AT THE MOMENT

An ES 980X is just like a GS GPU, you get lucky and you just happen to get one, and just like a GS GPU someone has one you want it so you pay for it, Its like sports as well, if you want to be the best you make sacrifices you must agree with that, this is no different, if you want the best you have to be prepared to make sacrifices, Ask any of the worlds top overclockers, Nick, Hipro, Andre the will all have made huge monitary and social sacrifices to get where they are.

And FYI i am NOT pushing ES CPUs im just saying people who have them have every right to use them to their fullest potential.

And i said that im hitting 1.75v which is i think everyone in this thread would agree is pretty damn close to 1.85v and i wasnt using LN2, so surely my chip should be dead correct?

Normally I would just ignore this post, because I said that I'll ignore you, but to this I really have to reply :D

No.

It's not even remotely close to 1.85V.

Q3QP's can die at 1.75V, yeah, but not every single one.

But 1.85V and 1.95V+ that we need to apply for 6.3GHz+ are in a league of their own.

Pushing 1.85V or 1.9V for 3-5 hours or so is enough to kill most Q3FEs & Q3QPs.

Sure a few CPUs might last a bit longer or die at 1.95V, but the sad truth is that most of them do die after a few hours of extreme overclocking at any voltages starting from 1.85V and on.

Fair enough, thats a very well put together point BZ,

The longevity of these CPUs at those kind of voltages may be doubtable, but thats the same with most i7s as well, if your in around the 1.95-2v mark then obviously any CPU designed to run at ~1.2v is gonna have issues and probably break,

What voltage you choose to use is your own perogative, extreme overclocking is called that for a reason, two of which being its pretty darn cold and the other is that it is very risky. Ce la vie.