HWBOT Community Forums

Raspberry Pi OC ?

Dreadlockyx

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sat down and explained WTF java was to it in very small words. Open whatever it was, to be specific.

I expect the calc to take a bit, it's more than I'm not sure it's getting to the calc in the first place.

pi@raspberrypi ~/benches $ ./benchbot.sh

preparing file for linux

jar /home/pi/benches/hwbotprime.jar

skipping META-INF/MANIFEST.MF <> cpuid-linux32

skipping META-INF/ <> cpuid-linux32

skipping org/ <> cpuid-linux32

skipping org/hwbot/ <> cpuid-linux32

skipping org/hwbot/bench/ <> cpuid-linux32

skipping org/hwbot/bench/BootStrap.class <> cpuid-linux32

skipping org/hwbot/bench/PrimeBenchmark.class <> cpuid-linux32

skipping org/hwbot/bench/PrimeBenchService.class <> cpuid-linux32

skipping org/hwbot/bench/PrimeRunnable.class <> cpuid-linux32

skipping META-INF/maven/ <> cpuid-linux32

skipping META-INF/maven/org.hwbot/ <> cpuid-linux32

skipping META-INF/maven/org.hwbot/hwbotprime/ <> cpuid-linux32

skipping META-INF/maven/org.hwbot/hwbotprime/pom.xml <> cpuid-linux32

skipping META-INF/maven/org.hwbot/hwbotprime/pom.properties <> cpuid-linux32

Prepared: /tmp/cpuid

could not finish execution because of error(s).

*** Error : /tmp/cpuid: 1: /tmp/cpuid: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")

--------- HWBOT BENCH 0.1.0 ----------

Processor detected:

Estimating speed...

I canceled after 10m or so and played with the OCing bits, ran it again 5m ago. The cpuid error makes me wonder if it's hung rather than just taking a while.

If it never moves I'll pull the open java thing out and try the official one.

EDIT:

Hey! Finally gave up on estimating speed, 0GHz!

Now it's running one thread. This'll take a bit, further reports as events warrant.

2.EDIT:

Running pleasantly warm to the touch with a GPU RAM heatsink thermal taped to it and an annoying 80mm fan aimed in its direction. Don't remember what clock speed I set, don't know if it was successful either :P

Edited by Bobnova

Be sure to download the latest version if you try again, I've added encryption & save ability to hwbotprime. If you dont' see a save button, download new version here:

http://downloads.hwbot.org/downloads/hwbotprime.zip

@Bobnova:

Do you have the vanilla or beefed up version of raspberry pi? Dennis has the version with 512mb ram, maybe it will not run on 256mb.

The estimating speed part was pretty slow, 10 min is "normal". I made some changes to the code a few days ago so that it just reads the speed from a OS file, it's pretty much instant now. The benchmark itself gives you regular progress updates, but slows down near the end. But yeah it took me +2 hr with the cpu OCed to 1 GHz :). Crazy if you see that the same work can be done in 30 seconds on a modern pc.

What OS/Java version do you have? I have Raspbian hard float ABI installed.

Java version:

dennis@raspberrypi ~ $ java -version

java version "1.7.0_07"

OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea7 2.3.2) (7u7-2.3.2a-1+rpi1)

OpenJDK Zero VM (build 22.0-b10, mixed mode)

http://hwbot.org/submission/2350613_devroush_hwbotprime_arm1176_s_2h_39min_19sec_5ms

Edited by Devroush

Trying the new benchbot and new Java, just started the bench.

As I type the above I just got the first update!

Looks like it's working.

Further updates as events warrant.

Thanks guys!

EDIT:

http://hwbot.org/submission/2353479_

I like this benchmark, giving a link to use for people SSHing into CLI is awesome.

Edited by Bobnova

New hwbotprime version optimized to run better on ARM platforms:

http://downloads.hwbot.org/hwbot.prime-0.3.zip

Runs much, much faster by splitting up the workload in batches of 8x amount of cores instead of starting all workers at once. Speed is identical on x86 processors, but 100x faster on ARM. Currently trying to get it running on my 200Mhz ARM v5 NAS. :)

• 3 months later...

looking forward to explore the Raspberry-pi in different ways than I'm doing now, but it will have to wait until I get back to Belgium in august. richba5tard, who wrote/writes the code of this benchmark anyway? I've been having the same idea for quite a long time but never came to finish something. Maybe I'll try to write/add openCl functionality, some Java wrapper libraries have appeared but I'm not sure if they allow the same functionality as native OpenCL C/C++ applications. Until now I didn't found OpenCL to be as platform independent as they claim it to be. Code compiled for one system seems to act different on other machines, even though the openCL program is only compiled at runtime.

The benchmark is opensource, currently in alpha stage:

https://github.com/frederikcolardyn/benchbot

The benchmark and UI is written in java (to be able to run everywhere), the hardware detection is in C and accessed through JNI. I'm currently writing the JNI bridge and compiling the C code for each platform separately.

HWBOTPrime is tried and tested on win 32/64bit, linux x86 32/64bit, linux ARM (raspberry pi and a netgear nas), Amazon linux EC2 servers, Mac OSX, etc, etc. It's very nice to have a cross platform bench. HWBOTOpenGL will be much harder to be cross platform though, that project is currently on hold until HWBOTPrime is completed.