MSI Z77 MPower

oc_windforce

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then I guess the chip itself is dead

Awww good news, I thought there might have been really something wrong:p

Thanks for the help Christian, guess I can stop wasting time trying to fix it and actually figure out how to make PSC run on this beast!

The new E1/L1 seems to like low volts so should be good on cold as 2 out of 3 are doing 5Ghz 32M <1.32v

During my short PSC experience with MPower I learned one thing - after each hard crash it's best to fully reflash the BIOS otherwise board starts spitting '55' out on random. Other than that, the experience was exactly the same as, say, on ASUS.

By the way, there is no such thing as new stepping. E1/L1 is just the way new CPU-Z (from 1.64 up, I reckon) detects IB chips.

During my short PSC experience with MPower I learned one thing - after each hard crash it's best to fully reflash the BIOS otherwise board starts spitting '55' out on random. Other than that, the experience was exactly the same as, say, on ASUS.

By the way, there is no such thing as new stepping. E1/L1 is just the way new CPU-Z (from 1.64 up, I reckon) detects IB chips.

Thanks for the advice Sam, will keep this in mind as 2600 seems pretty hard to even boot whether I am on 1:13 or 1:9.

2500 c7 twcl7 seems pretty doable, trying twcl 6

I got the same thing on my mpower Loud, anything over 2500 was just nope. And even with that timings were crap and voltages had to be sky high. Even with cold mems I only got 6-10-6 2400.

I can't do any more testing for you though, because:

lPv5zCA.jpg

@ l0ud - You try Tertiary first.. then setting secondaries? I was able to get them dialed down for some of the runs I did previously.. had to set them first though, and tighten secondaries down after...kinda funny, but it worked. Must be training issue with tertiary detection/settings. What BIOS you on now?

Maybe try a silicon grease next time, and just wipe off the top of the DrMOS before mounting the heatsinks. If you run on air after that just wipe it from the DrMOS area. If you have any eraser use it to absorb the grease(its ultra absorbent).

Yep, same as with every board I bench. First time I have had anything like that happen. Could have just been a random thing, it benched for a few good hours before that with just the memory clocking issue.

I wonder if the vaseline insulation is making the DrMOS die faster of some sort. The reason I'm asking is because I've heard a lot of complaints from the Australian bench scene about MSI boards dieing way too quickly (XPower, MPower, ...) with PWM blowing up, but fact of the matter is that I have never had an MSI board burn out like that. Even though I've had condensation on the PWM more than once. I never use vaseline, though, just paper towel.

First board that burns out like that for you?

*snip* fact of the matter is that I have never had an MSI board burn out like that. Even though I've had condensation on the PWM more than once. I never use vaseline, though, just paper towel.

First board that burns out like that for you?

You may onto something there MM.. I would tend to agree that MSI PWM seem 'allergic' to a good slathering of Vas. I dont use it for anything other than mem and PCI-E slots on them now.

*only MSI i have lost was due to moisture.. and had vas on the PWM.. Since then, I run 'dry' with only minor bit of frost king around the socket and towels... been through +6hr sessions with +40% humidity, with more MSI boards than I can count and not had another issue since..

this took 1.94v on the memory, far more than is needed on other boards, and when I tried to tighten up the secondaries and tertiaries, constant fails after loop 9.

Hí Loud. I have similar problem as you, my BBSE is not as stable as on asus or gigabyte and I often have not exact in round or even instant black screen when running 32m. Samsung works ok but still not really good stability.

961815.jpg

This is my best 5G time so far, but after that - 55 code on boot (wasted at least 5L ln2 trying 32m)