HWBOT Community Forums

Who got you started in overclocking?

Jimba

(Sorry if a thread like this has been created,if so please merge this thread)

Just wondering how all of you guys got started with your overclocking adventures?

For me it was just a natural progress when i started getting into computers and hearing the term "overclocking" said. I didnt know what it is so after some searching i got a understanding.

I think it was around 2008 when i did my first overclock on a E6550 with the stock intel cooler. I had no idea what i was doing so i just increased the FSB a little and it booted so i tryed higher. I had heard of these programs called "benchmarks" so i decided to run a program called 3d mark vantage and i got a score so i overclocked my CPU some more and got a higher score..soon i was hooked.

It wasn't until i think a few months after that i discovered a place which i know as xtreme systems where i saw some guys using exotic cooling to get really high scores (later found out to be LN2) after that i started to follow the exploits of a Australian guy called "dinos22" from reading his exploits i became more interested in overclocking and computers in general.I said to myself "i want to be as good as dinos22 one day" and i still continue aiming for that goal today,to be as good as my overclocking idol. (I need to get to LN2 level first)

As i gained more knowledge about computers and overclocking when i had the opportunity to build my own system at the end of 2010 i picked components which where good at overclocking (except for the ram,i had a limited budget)

today i continue to overclock and am building a bench system designed for that purpose.

So what where your starts in overclocking?

I didn't cus of Dinos22 for sure. But he always inspires me in my way of trolling xD

Edit: I started long time ago, mainly to get more fps in games...

Years after years I lost the need to play games and became a modest extrem overclocker ;)

Edited by Eeky NoX

I like to think I started because I got a very good Athlon X2 3800+ when I built my first computer and wanted to see if I could grab some records, but I think I would've started even if I ended up with a shitty CCBWE chip back then. As most others, the real beginning was that I wanted more performance for less $$$.

Y'all wrong, this got you into OC:

I think that was uploaded in 2002 by THG.

That is a 1st gen Asetek VapoChill, the evap and mounting system, was horrible.

I overclocked before that though, but my first singlestage was from the other Danish phasechange company, Prometeia, later known as ChipCon..... Mach I, I bought that one, pretty much same moment as s478 was launched, first generation Northwood were quite fun, but I bought the wrong system ;)

Bought 100FSB, 400QDR 2200mhz, while having PC3200 ram, which was FAST back then! My APACER ram... I should have bought the 533QDR 133FSB processor, because I would actually use my ram to their rated speed or even overclocked them, but I was misguided by the forums, that back then, had near no knowledge on OC.... OC was something of which you tried and error, not like now, that you just buy a pre-oced setup :)

Mhh... nobody, infact I didn't find someone to share this hobby, until 2002/2003.

The first experience was, in 1998, when this new mysterious Celeron Mendocino 300A come out... I was 12, so I needed it to play better with my PC :D

So, Abit BH-6, SDR PC100, and CPU immediately set on 450MHz instead of 300 :D

It enjoyed making fun of my friends which bought a PII 333MHz (which was slower than a Mendocino@450), which cost more :D

Little bastard I was:nana:

Edited by |ron

• Crew
Accidentally started with a MMX 150mhz, was playing with jumpers and voila 250mhz. OFC that was for gaming purposes, anyone that says otherwise lies :D

Having discovered that I kept doing it for every platform I have owned since then.

the p mmx started at 166mhz bro. :P

"Casual" overclocking via jumpers on P133 to insane 166 MHZ was only inspired by myself wanting some free MHZ.

you could figure that out with some brain and reading the instructions on the pcb...

In early times that could save you a fortune so I kept this way of overclocking for quite a while.

Getting nutty about extreme OC - I blame it on shamino, hipro, victorwang, sampsa, pedro rocha and freddyama I had the chance to meet during cebit 2007...

The "oc-scene" back there was somehow different from today. much less mfc-influenced even abit and gskill hosted the events - and more relaxxed to each other.

the "big players" like asus, gb or msi haven't had a clue of public-oc-sessions on cebit back then...

And when I was responsible organizing 400L LN2 for shami and Foxconn and CoolerMaster and tyrou the year after that...well I was already a part of it...

...having GC2008 with AMD 1m "record" (lol) and giorgioprimo + saaya...just took it over the top :cool:

Victorwang, fredyama, sampsa, pedro rocha at cebit 2007?

Yes it must have been 2007 or maybe 2006 not sure - there was Abit powered by hipro with a cascade and shamino (+coolaler) at g.skill with a freaky subzero ram cooling (did he knew already it would become popular 5 years later?!).

g.skill booth babes must have been the most silly I have seen EVER (original comment "you are just lurking around the booth since 4 days - don't you have anything else to do"...wanted to kill this b1tch right away...so brainless, so stupid...argh ^^

also I had a funny community at home: fr3ak, tyrou and jupiler (former admin of XS)...oh dear that is something that will never repeat and never get better.

not even a sauna can beat that - imagine 4-5 filthy, sweating fairground-nerds in 15m² sleeping room...no snorring or I was the loudest, not sure anymore ^^

wtf I must have missed all the fun, lots of meetings that year, and the following year^^ one after, 2009 you may remember me arriving late at the party :P

I meet Shamino, Coolaler, Hipro5 and alot of marketing folks that year, oh and think I meet Boris, Otter and Micha as well, they were using the box cooling, or was that the year after?

Anyhow, dont recall having meet Fredyama...

• 4 weeks later...

my friend built his own computer and it was stupidly cheap compared to an off the shelf.

so i was like, "hey, here's money show me how to do that!". so we went to a store, bought a bunch of parts and he showed me how to put it together. at the time i said "do you reckon this is the sorta thing where it'll be heaps of fun to pull it apart and put it back together again a bunch of times?" he said "nah no way"

idiot. ive been pulling it apart and putting it back together again with new stuff for the last 4 years now.