HWBOT Community Forums

R5: HWBot Marketplace

der8auer

Personally I feel that if an item is sold, the selling price should still be visible. It gives potential buyers/sellers a chance to see what a fair value is for an item.

One thing I find very annoying in huge FS forums is that if i search for something, I get a bunch of threads where there is no such item listed for sale in the first post at all - is it possible to use the search engine in such a way that it only searches the first posts, signature not included?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree on the price part. Fixed it in the rules (§12)

Normally the vBulletin search engine does not include the signature in the results so if you're searching for HD7970 it will only display postings which also include this item. It will include the complete thread tho - not only the first post.

Sounds good, you should also consider following:

~

4. Discussing price in a thread is not appropriate and may result in removal of the post and/or sanction.

completely disagree. keeping offers in thread shows transparency as to who is bidding and how much they are offering. it stops vendors bullshitting buyers by saying "oh yeah i've already been offered x more by omeone else". it also allows users to keep tabs on the going rate for specific items.. assisting them price items also stops some vendors from pulling sales because they thought the item was worth more or pulling because of stupid abuse in thread about overpricing.

i'd also add i like forum sales with both a reserve and an instant. if i'm trading out kit to buy something else it's far easier to put my bottom line down in the reserve and anything on top is gravy. eg:

Item 1: Corsair H100 WC unit

Aprox 1.5 yrs old, quiet pump, consistent performer. Only selling cause I wanted a custom loop with GPU.

Includes all fittings packed and labelled.Original unused fans. Radiator cleaned out with compressed air.

Clean CPU plate. Original packaging. Ready to go

Res 70

Ins 85

Post set @ 15

Item 3: 2 x Western Digital WD Green 1TB WD10EZRX

1.5yrs old, light use, each was 1/2 full.

res 40ea pp

inst 45ea pp

inst if you buy both is 80pp

Post one set 10

Post for 2 set 15

The way XS is set up only the OP can reply to the thread, keeps it clean as it keeps conversations to PM's.

However one drawback to the way XS is setup is that the OP can not edit his posts, which sucks if you make a mistake when posting.

i just don't like the idea of everything being via pm. for starters massman would get bombarded to raise the cap on pm's lol. if items take a while to come through from a vendor a friendly 'hey m8 your not replying to my pm's" bump in a thread can often get the wheels back in motion. and if a sale turns nasty vendor verdict has a place to be aired without new threads being opened in other areas of the forum. sale mods watch the sale section etc. (i've heard more stories about sales going bad on xs with almost nothing a buyer can do than in any other trading section on a forum).

I'd rather have the conversations in the thread itself as it keeps the deal more transparent. Also editing the first post keeps the thread clearer. Mods can see changes anyway if there would be any problems.

:ws:

One thing I find very annoying in huge FS forums is that if i search for something, I get a bunch of threads where there is no such item listed for sale in the first post at all - is it possible to use the search engine in such a way that it only searches the first posts, signature not included?

the easiest way with VB is to ask vendors to clearly state what they are selling in the title: FS 7970 Lightning

then when someone wants to do a search in the FS subforum they just tick thread titles to avoid every non sale conversation.

Overclockers has always kept negotiations to PM. Price and particulars are best worked out personally.

If negotiations are open, and one user sees another griefing over the price, it complicates matters for the seller. If one person griefs about the price in PM, someone else may come along and just offer asking price. That is cool.

Open price negotiations in thread encourage thread crapping and piling on, often by people who aren't even personally interested in purchasing.. If the price is bad, tell the seller via PM. Someone else may be fine with the price.

really, if a seller puts an item up and a random complains about the price it really complicates this that much? surely the seller either drops his price because it was excessive, ignores the complainant or justifies the price with good reasoning which in turn likely benefits the sale. even ebay shows buyers how the auction is going.

i would guess that without open bids far more bs from sellers lying, about how much they have been offered by another pm, to drive prices than you would be aware of. simply because you are honest very much does not reflect on the rest of the world.

thread crapping and piling crap on invites loss of FS section privileges for users and quickly dries up... but this is my opinion.

i see where your coming from but perhaps i care less for peoples feelings :cool:

seller attempts to sell overpriced item > 10 people come to correct price > seller modifies price > first page Ta-daa but thread bumped at least 10 times.

without open offers on items market price is a crap shoot and invites overpricing. unless a buyer/seller is right on the ball they will not know what price an item is worth and it is far more likely to be marked up. numerous reasons come to mind as to why this would happen but the end result is less good deals being made available, less sales are made and more rude pm's are sent between interested buyers and disgruntled sellers.

on the surface i have no doubt the forum appears tidy but in reality there is far more conversation and opinionated distain between members than would be permitted in open forum.

overpricing indicates profiteering or a vendors wish to take his sale to ebay.

from a moderators perspective i can understand closing forum chatter and making things as hands free as possible.. plain and simple it's easier but it's not the best way to run a trading forum.

in all fairness to hwbot, it's members and most of all the voluntary hard work the mods put in, i'd be looking to do it right the first time or not do it at all. sale sections are a hot potato and can turn into a nightmare. maybe this thread should ask for volunteers / numbers to moderate a fs section before working on the in's and out's?

(to add: i'd love to but honestly don't know if i would be able to spare the full amount of time something like this deserves).

Overclockers has always kept negotiations to PM. Price and particulars are best worked out personally.

If negotiations are open, and one user sees another griefing over the price, it complicates matters for the seller. If one person griefs about the price in PM, someone else may come along and just offer asking price. That is cool.

Open price negotiations in thread encourage thread crapping and piling on, often by people who aren't even personally interested in purchasing.. If the price is bad, tell the seller via PM. Someone else may be fine with the price.

We kind of accept open negotiations but no price bashing. If someone offers a 7 GHz Ivy for 1000$ o.n.o. (or near offer) I don't want to see postings like "hey this CPU is available for 300$ boxed and new". Negotiations like "what about 950$?" are okay tho.

It keeps the value of the hardware much more transparent. You can still PM a seller and tell if it's 500$ overpriced.

i'd also add i like forum sales with both a reserve and an instant. if i'm trading out kit to buy something else it's far easier to put my bottom line down in the reserve and anything on top is gravy. eg:

Item 1: Corsair H100 WC unit

Aprox 1.5 yrs old, quiet pump, consistent performer. Only selling cause I wanted a custom loop with GPU.

Includes all fittings packed and labelled.Original unused fans. Radiator cleaned out with compressed air.

Clean CPU plate. Original packaging. Ready to go

Res 70

Ins 85

Post set @ 15

I'm not realy a friend of this kind of selling. This is kind of like bidding on ebay which we do not want to see on forums. Therefor we keep it as fixed price. You can start your offer with the fixed price of 85 and lower it within few days if you can not find a buyer.

Okay, let's try to get this going. Please add one more rule: only overclocking related items can be sold. This means: no speakers, no dvd burning software, no teddy bears and so on. This is a site for overclockers, not Ebay :).

I'll check with Der8auer and GENiEBEN to get the section started - also will check for a new moderator who would only be checking the classified adds. Oh, right, and also add the rule: banned at the buy and sell means HWBOT account suspended ;).

Okay, let's try to get this going. Please add one more rule: only overclocking related items can be sold. This means: no speakers, no dvd burning software, no teddy bears and so on. This is a site for overclockers, not Ebay :).

I'll check with Der8auer and GENiEBEN to get the section started - also will check for a new moderator who would only be checking the classified adds. Oh, right, and also add the rule: banned at the buy and sell means HWBOT account suspended ;).

Rule added. :)

General rules:

1. Start a topic in the corresponding section and select a proper thread title. Title must include a location tag like (UK/US/AU/CA/EU). E.g.: [sale] i7-3770K (UK)

2. Pictures of the Items are required to start a topic. In addition you have to handwrite your HWBot-username and date on a piece of paper and place it next to the items. The date on the picture has to be the same as the date of your topic.

3. Sealed or closed boxes are not allowed. You have to show the item itself on the picture.

4. You must set a selling price for your items unless you want to trade only.

5. Make it clear if you are selling any damaged or broken items.

6. Do not push your thread more than once within 24 hours. For Changes please use the edit function.

7. Pre-sales are not allowed.

8. Fixed price only. No price upping or bidding like on ebay.

9. Post information about the estimated shipping costs - especially for international shipping.

10. Post information about payment details. E.g.: PayPal or international bank transfer accepted.

11. Do not start threads which only contain links to other marketplaces.

12. Do not delete sold items or remove the price from the original posting. Mark these items as "sold" instead.

13. Use the report button if there are any postings which violate these rules or if a posting is suspicious in any kind of way.

14. No price bashing.

Forbidden items for trading:

- Software/games which require an active account.

- Software without key which is required to install it.

- Any kind of accounts or licenses which are related to plattforms like EA Origin, Blizzard Battle.net, Valve Steam, Ubisoft Uplay or any other similar plattforms.

- Virtual items. E.g. gold for online games

- Engineering samples

- Items which are not hardware or overclocking related

- Firearms

- Pets

- Alcohol, tabacco or any other narcotic substances like drugs

- Any other illegal items which are contrary to the law

Disclaimer

Be aware that we will delete any postings which do not comply to the rules written above or which are suspicious in any other way!

Always remember:

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

HWBOT ASSUMES NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY BAD DEALS.

BUY/SELL/TRADE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

By posting in the forum, you agree that you have read and understand the rules as set forth above. Violations will not be tolerated! These rules are subject to change without notice, so please make sure to visit this post frequently to stay up to date.

For any problems feel free to contact the moderators.

HWBot-Staff

Im a veteran of the ocau system, been trading there for years. I also have experience with XS and a little with kingpin now. Things id like to see different, are no 7 day rule, as sometimes you get replacement in rma and have replaced it in the meantime, and no heatware, i have one but have never used it.

And encouragement to post overseas at the buyers cost, it sucks when something comes up and the seller wont post to you, despite you paying for post

I don't see a problem selling a new product e.g. if you got a HD7970 sealed from RMA and don't want to use it anymore - so no 7 day rule here. A higher quantity of new products would be a problem tho.

Feel free to use heatware but we will not make it mandatory for now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Crew

der8auer, I agree to Bruce - the "Forbidden items for trading:" could be shrinked to one statement:

- Items which are not hardware or overclocking related
don't want to see any BIOS reflash services in MoBo section (instead of the actual boards) and/or dozens of SATA cables sales. Or any Apple stuff (not a hater).

Anything that can be used to clock for Bot is O.K.

And hey, why are ES banned? What if I want to buy an old CPU that was only produced as ES (say, Pentium Pro 133 or Pentium XE 3.0)?

Will there be subsections for certain hardware so you don't have to list 20-40 fan sales to find a few MoBo or CPU sales?

der8auer, I agree to Bruce - the "Forbidden items for trading:" could be shrinked to one statement:

don't want to see any BIOS reflash services in MoBo section (instead of the actual boards) and/or dozens of SATA cables sales. Or any Apple stuff (not a hater).

Anything that can be used to clock for Bot is O.K.

And hey, why are ES banned? What if I want to buy an old CPU that was only produced as ES (say, Pentium Pro 133 or Pentium XE 3.0)?

Will there be subsections for certain hardware so you don't have to list 20-40 fan sales to find a few MoBo or CPU sales?

I don't think your delineation has a consistent logical theme. Kind of seems like a bit of personal opinion about what is OK and what isnt. Closet cleaning sales can be good to pick up cheap stuff like cables.

For ES, doesn't matter if its new or old... It is still owned by the manufacturer, so it probably wouldn't be good to allow people to sell things they don't own.