HWBOT Community Forums

GB Z77X-UP7 - lower RAM overclocking

Blue Storm

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, just did some measurement - the 1.25V or 1.40V is just read-out not actually setting that voltage. If I load the XMP here (1.25V) it will just be default (1.05V) real.

Nothing to worry about, in other words :)

Yea,as I noted in my previous post,Vtt is always 1.05V.

XMP set Vdimm 1.65 and Vtt 1.35,but in Windows Vdimm is 1.680V (UP5).

11203275.jpg

11203277.jpg

Edited by stasio

Guest Bullant
It looks that it still has problem with PSC...when I set 2600 or 2666 multiplier with 11-12-11 2T which was stable on UD5H or P8Z77-V Pro I have 51 on post display...the settings are the same

//By the way...XMP with Dominators Platinum 2400 CL9 working also very good

Thanks for taking the time to check mate.

Tested 6-layer board and went well over DDR3-3000. More layers = more complexity = need finer tuning. That and some other stuff.

OH great!

Banana is better than chocolate, because you prefered bananasplit next to chocolatemouse?

Pieter, sigh, seriously that is one dumb conclusion you've reached.

- You do know there is a lot more parameters, dont make such a bold statement.

Furthermore no, more layers is NOT same as more complex, in fact it is much more simple as less other components or traces block the path, hence; you can cross through layers.

OH great!

Banana is better than chocolate, because you prefered bananasplit next to chocolatemouse?

Furthermore no, more layers is NOT same as more complex, in fact it is much more simple as less other components or traces block the path, hence; you can cross through layers.

I feel like pulling a Tin on you.

OH great!

Sigh. Yeah ...

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a new BIOS with much improvement:

http://www.mediafire.com/?st532240qeslhwi

BIOS F5G

It adds read and write slew

It helps CL12 compatibility

Here are the new settings and what seems to be the best for different types of modules:

newseeting.png

So start with level 2 and then increase for different levels of stability and such for samsung and PCS, samsung will for instance give you instance 51 on level 1 if you go too higher over XMP multiplier, but change to level 2 and it will not 51 and it will boot.

Just to clarify: F5g BIOS is not the one for improved PSC/BBSE overclocking - it's just the one fixing the tCL=12 incompatibility issues. The Slew Rate finetuning is mainly to help with bootup/post procedure but won't add additional overclocking headroom.

Afaik PCB/BBSE bios is coming later.

F5f is working out well for memory overclocking here:

16218-physics.jpg

the slew rates give me higher headroom on samsung and PSC from my findings, F5F can give you the same headroom on samsung IMO.

but yea this BIOS isn't mean to help PSC or BBSE, however the increased slew rated helps a lot with PSC, gave me an extra multiplier to work with, but it does help boot with higher multipliers which is part of the battle.

F5F detects my samsung modules and changes its slew rate on the fly however the slew rates are very helpful for both samsung and PCS, and I think they should be an option for users to change, as it can benefit and what if the board doesn't detect it?

Edited by sin0822

What is the BBSE problem you speak of, this board runs BBSE without a hitch no need for fixing that as PSC is what is really broken.

Did not test MFR/CFR/Samsung so can't comment on that but just need PSC 2600+ to work and work well and that is all that is lacking imho.

Oh - BBSE is working properly? Like in DDR3-2600+ C8-12 on air cooling? It's been a while since I tested BBSE memory on the UP7, so I might have missed the improvements made :).

Good to hear!

• 2 weeks later...

BBSE has been working since at least F3.

F5J seems to work pretty well with PSC. was giving some crucial ballistix a run @ 2600 8-12 and it seems to be pretty solid for the most part. only issue was getting 2600 multi to work, would always 51 no matter what, however I can 2400 multi then bclk up with no issue now :)

*edit*

switched to sammy... bios settings wont take unless cmos is cleared and set on the initial boot. set c11, still stuck @ c10. i need to re-flash and test this again because i think it works fine with psc and may be a samsung issue.

*edit edit*

reproduced issue with PSC, reflashed, issue went away.

Edited by zeneffect