HWBOT Community Forums

GB Z77X-UP7 - lower RAM overclocking

Blue Storm

*CONFIRMED*

F5J works with PSC. I still havent managed to get the 2600 multi working (yet) but bclk up to 2600 is a breeze.

pscfix.jpg

done with PSC Flares on air. Crucial Ballistix couldnt cut c8 2600 on air at vdimm or subtimings I was happy with but could pull it off as well none the less. going to test the Dominator c8 2000's next but I don't forsee any issues.

this is 100mhz better than what I could achieve previously on this board. afik, this may be the first screen shot posted with PSC working at 2600 on UP7 as well.

now somebody who has some pull at Gigabyte.... please PLEASE PLEASE MAKE AN OC BIOS BASED ON F5J!!! just increase vcore to 2 because 1.85 limit does not top out a chip. 2.1v vdimm is already available.

@ massman

to clarify my previous statment. 2600 bbse has always worked for me with 8-11-7-21. we all know this song and dance though as it is not comparible to other's kits supposedly.

Edited by zeneffect

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

the truth is that it takes many BIOS revisions before a feature like slew rates goes into a final release BIOS(just look at how long it took after they added the user ability to change CPU PLl OV until it went into final BIOSes), beta's validation process is much shorter than that for final version, which starts possibly before some betas for that final lettered BIOS are done.

They can do tweaks here and there, but from here on out i don't think we will see BIOSes released at the rate as in the past, that doesn't mean there wont be improvements. There can easily be requested a BIOS with slews and higher vcore, I will put in a request for like F5j with over 1.85v vcore.

• Crew

Don't get me wrong here, this reply is not specifically targeted at Gigabyte. But I fail to understand why a company releases a high end benching motherboard with a to me untested bios. Why not release a stable bench bios and then continue to work on S3 and other stuff that daily users need.

thanks sin, f5j has "other" problems as well, but they are workable.

a major one being you have to clear cmos for settings to take every so often. i find this alot when switching between psc and samsungs.. takes like 3 or 4 cmos resets before its back to "normal"

f3oc works well with bbse as Aristidis has also confirmed. 2600 multi works if you fanagel the dram voltage settings. once you get a good post its advisable to save the profile as in my experience, it wont work sometimes if you set manually to the same settings, but tends to work 98% of the time when you load a working profile.

Edited by zeneffect

• Crew
BBSE's working fine with S3 bios problem is only with PSC's

Is that a special F3 bios for benchers ?

@SIN: Yes Steven I referred too S3, sleep resume and co for daily users.( Ari got me wrong :P ) I meant develop a stable bios for daily users, most won't need +2400MHz speeds, but make 100% sure XMP profiles are bootable (ASUS sets some timings a tad looser to get it booting )

Then focus on a Bench bios that supports a wide variety of dimms...

Edited by Leeghoofd

he should change it to 32 phase human because he really is amazing posting BIOses everywhere, I don't even think i could keep up with that.

Yea its the same issue as with some test BIOSes i get where the DRAM multipliers don't work, usually happens with BIOSes that have no validation and are just to change something.

A power cycle is very important, that is one reason after F6X for the Up5 the BIOS engineer put in a mandatory power cycle, but he told me to always shut down the PSU and clear CMOS after every BIOS flash, and it fixed an issue on an early version of F6X where the multipliers and voltage wouldn't work for dram, other slot might work too. He also changed some things in that F6X for the UP5 for stasio, but after that it didn't get into the final versions of the BIOSes, he said something about how if a user or XMP picks a higher DRAM multiplier, i think 2666+ CR will be set to 2 automatically and DRAM voltage will be increased. This isn't that odd as both the M5E and OCF increase VTT/SA voltages when you goto higher dram multipliers, but yea its not increasing DRAm multiplier.

• 1 month later...
Kinda off-topic.... how do you get full MHz all the time with this board? I've disabled C1E etc but desktop still runs at 1600MHz. I'm using BIOS F3. Same settings as my UD3H/5H and they display MHz fine

Cheers!

not sure if this is your problem but that occured to me when i used xp, with an energy saving setting called - full power ( lol ) then put it back to - normal / desktop and cpu worked above x16 easily