HWBOT Community Forums

So This is Why Asus Won't Support HWBot...

xxbassplayerxx

you guys cant see any good in this? what if its included with ASUS motherboards and gets more people to try benching? Bigger community is a stronger community IMO, what are we still less than %1 of sales to most companies? I dont think this is meant to be competition of hwbot. They could easily start an hwbot clone and with their financial backing, get the patents you are talking about and shut this place down lol no?

/end trolling

these are totally different things lol, OC knockout is like a head to head OC game, hwbot is benchmarking

Edited by Splave

you guys cant see any good in this? what if its included with ASUS motherboards and gets more people to try benching? Bigger community is a stronger community IMO, what are we still less than %1 of sales to most companies? I dont think this is meant to be competition of hwbot. They could easily start an hwbot clone and with their financial backing, get the patents you are talking about and shut this place down lol no?

/end trolling

these are totally different things lol, OC knockout is like a head to head OC game, hwbot is benchmarking

I'm not talking about HWBOT, the website, but the idea we launched in January 2011 (http://hwbot.org/forum/showpost.php?p=212183&postcount=21). That's essentially the proof-of-concept of what the ROG Knock-Out software is; that is the idea they copied ("stole" lol) and what Der8auer says we should've patented. I know why they are saying it's "an evolution of online sport" too - I used the exact same phrasing when discussing the idea internally with Frederik too :).

In my (humble) opinion there are three problems with this approach to overclocking - one is self-inflicted, two are fundamental to the concept - that could prevent it from kicking off like online gaming did. Those two fundamental problems is why we decided not to persue this type of overclocking at hwbot as it would take up a lot of resources (=time) to develop. Instead we added the Challenges, which is a non-realtime implementation of the same concept. To be honest, I'm really interested to see if the ROG team will be able to figure out a solution to those fundamental problems. They have a lot of talent on board, so I assume yes. They definitely have more possibilities to solve it than we had!

But I do agree with what you're saying: if this brings more people to overclocking and benchmarking, it can only be good for our community! :).

I'm not talking about HWBOT, the website, but the idea we launched in January 2011 (http://hwbot.org/forum/showpost.php?p=212183&postcount=21). That's essentially the proof-of-concept of what the ROG Knock-Out software is; that is the idea they copied ("stole" lol) and what Der8auer says we should've patented. I know why they are saying it's "an evolution of online sport" too - I used the exact same phrasing when discussing the idea internally with Frederik too :).

In my (humble) opinion there are three problems with this approach to overclocking - one is self-inflicted, two are fundamental to the concept - that could prevent it from kicking off like online gaming did. Those two fundamental problems is why we decided not to persue this type of overclocking at hwbot as it would take up a lot of resources (=time) to develop. Instead we added the Challenges, which is a non-realtime implementation of the same concept. To be honest, I'm really interested to see if the ROG team will be able to figure out a solution to those fundamental problems. They have a lot of talent on board, so I assume yes. They definitely have more possibilities to solve it than we had!

But I do agree with what you're saying: if this brings more people to overclocking and benchmarking, it can only be good for our community! :).

I agree that it should be a good thing for the oc comunity! I don't think I would be into it yet if it had not been for Lakeside2189 over at BE.

Just my 2 cents

Ken

This is more than just another step forward in competitive benchmarking....

In a manner similar to SuperPi....

No... Doesn't sound like a benchmark :D

Btw: http://rog.asus.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?153-OC-KnockOut

Looking at these forums I have the feeling that there are not many people using OCKO

Edited by der8auer