HWBOT Community Forums

R5: UGP/GTPP fix for exotic categories

Massman

For a long time, HWBOT should be changed and not earn many points to "obscure" rankings,

If someone says:

But I struggled to get a result ... but alone in the ranking... competing alone against himself (or even... almost alone)...

I would say... this overclocker chose the wrong hardware.... and must go for more popular hardware.... because nobody can compare scores... if there are no scores to compare.

So, to me:

No more easy points ... no more 60 points for who competes alone ... no more nothing for no competitive rankings (who benched alone or almost alone)

And more (if is possible.... even I believe will not change)... IMO

No more cups and medals for who compete alone or almost alone... .

So you will see lots of overclockers... "obscure hardware hunters"... that ever got lots and lots of cups, medals, and 2 points + 2 points + 2 points + ... take their real place in the ranking)...

I am against also to give 2 points for doing nothing... as people and more people just running alone in stock frequencies without no effort... getting points only to click the benchmark and run.

For me, it should only get earn points and also cups and medals after a certain number of participants (for example, 10).... but even it not change, is just better than before ...when overclockers earned lots of points for doing nothing.

I think this way to Global and even to Hardware points.

Thanks HWBOT finally have understand that it is totally wrong overclockers gaining many points by doing nothing and running at stock.

Edited by rbuass

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well.. I see this change pleases Rbuassy

Meanwhile... 80% or more of EVERYBODY else is pissed off.

Yours truly most certainly is.

WTF do I have all this this hardware for? I might as well sell it all,get IB-E and call it good.

Maybe... if 80% looks for obscure and non competitive hardware to get points and cups...

Here mate... is "overclocking ranking"... and imo must be measure the ranking by effort + skill... and best ranked must be who squeeze the hardware to the max.... and not for who looked for obscure hardware ever to get easy points, cups and medals...

So... this change was needed.

"get IB-E and call it good"

It depends... imo, only if IB-E are not earning easy points alone ;)

Edited by rbuass

Maybe... if 80% looks for obscure and non competitive hardware to get points and cups...

Here mate... is "overclocking ranking"... and imo must be measure the ranking by effort + skill... and best ranked must be who squeeze the hardware to the max.... and not for who looked for obscure hardware ever to get easy points, cups and medals...

So... this change was needed.

"get IB-E and call it good"

It depends... imo, only if IB-E are not earning easy points alone ;)

I'm thinking.."Why bother with points" tbh

Why even bother? srsly

WTF do I have all this this hardware for? I might as well sell it all,get IB-E and call it good.

I think you mean 80% of people are fine with it.

This change has had over A YEAR from initial discussion to public discussion and people have always been free to state their opposition.

If people are ONLY coming out of the woodwork now, then where the bunny have you all been?

This is change that has been long overdue IMO.

Whatever the percentage, Schmuckley has a point. But aren't we missing out on the fact that this is a hobby. As with any hobby there are various degrees of how you experience your hobby.

It depends on a lot of factors:

Time: what gets left after work, homework, familytime

Money: if you're a college student or already have a job

Dedication: some can have a high level of addiction, for others it's more of a casual thing.

Interest: some do it for fun, for the thrill of competition, to collect cups and medals, to collect points or pure interest in the HW and SW.

The result is that you can't start labelling people. The community - which we may think is big, but compared to other hobbies (on a global scale) is peanuts - should therefore belong to everyone, whatever their main drive to overclock and irrespective of ones financial capabilities.

Why would we take away the joy of someone getting their first gold cup with 2 points simply because he benched some obscure HW at stock settings? I'd say well done. One doesn't know how long that person had to search for that item, how much time it took him to save for a decent powersupply or an SSD. So who are we then to critisize that person and take away his joy.

If there is no openness in all this, people will start to drop out. You'll end up with only a couple of fanatics and the entire community will eventually die out. These persons should realize that the major manufactures of HW don't care about them. If you think they do, think again. Yes there are always friendly employees at ASUS, Corsair, MSI, ... but in the end those guys have to report to their manager. And all they care about is sales (and if they don't, the shareholders will ;-) ). Thus the bigger the community, the longer it will last.

So to all my fellow OC'ers I would say, have some respect for each other. Take a minute to try and see the world through a fellow OC'ers eyes, or think back how you got involved in OC'ing to start with ... It'll give you some much needed perspective.

Edited by Teemto

Usually the guys who are fine with the decision don't even post because they have nothing to complain about. That's why it looks like that ;)

Like I said before several times: This change was a wish by the community and announced ages ago.

Why would we take away the joy of someone getting their first gold cup with 2 points simply because he benched some obscure HW at stock settings?.

IMO because is a Overclocking League and should evaluate the "quality" of the overclockers.... and is a "RANKING"

What is the value of a gold cup? ​​... If anyone even competing alone win one without any effort... competing alone.

What is the value of the points of hardware? ... if anyone, even competing alone makes get 14 points and 7 golden cups without effort, competing alone (PCM05, CPUz, PiFast, Spi1M, Spi32M, WP32, WP1024).

Here is the league overclockers and is not house of charity.

In my opinion, this change represents a great improvement, but still I would be more tight to distribution points.

For me ... earn points only for those who deserve it .... and not for those who missed five minutes to press the "click" and run...

Most of this guys spent more time to look for easy and obscure hardware to get their easy points and cups... than to bench and squeeze the max of the hardware.

You can search that will find hundreds of overclockers with lots of points and cups ... running in stock ... making points and winning prizes without any effort.

I even know many overclockers who works that way... and is best ranked than good overclockers.

Edited by rbuass

Wow I sense a lot of frustration. If I would follow your reasoning I could state that it's not fair that certain persons get 'funded' by manufacturers or stores. As not everyone has that benefit, this also gives an unfair advantage, would it not? Yet as I've stated everyone plays this hobby as they want it. And yes I too get the advantage of being able to do some binning at a friendly store or borrow some of their hardware, for which I'm very grateful. But that doesn't make me want to disrespect those that don't have that

luxury.

You also don't seem to get my point. With such an attitude you would probably ban half of those that have ever entered a HWbot submission. In the end your frustration would lead to your own demise as you would end up with a very tiny club. Which would result not only in a loss of sponsorship by the manufacturers but in a loss of investment into overclocking related HW all together.

IMO because is a Overclocking League and should evaluate the "quality" of the overclockers.... and is a "RANKING"

What is the value of a gold cup? ​​... If anyone even competing alone win one without any effort... competing alone.

What is the value of the points of hardware? ... if anyone, even competing alone makes get 14 points and 7 golden cups without effort, competing alone (PCM05, CPUz, PiFast, Spi1M, Spi32M, WP32, WP1024).

Here is the league overclockers and is not house of charity.

In my opinion, this change represents a great improvement, but still I would be more tight to distribution points.

For me ... earn points only for those who deserve it .... and not for those who missed five minutes to press the "click" and run...

Most of this guys spent more time to look for easy and obscure hardware to get their easy points and cups... than to bench and squeeze the max of the hardware.

You can search that will find hundreds of overclockers with lots of points and cups ... running in stock ... making points and winning prizes without any effort.

I even know many overclockers who works that way... and is best ranked than good overclockers.

Why must you suck the 'fun' aspect out everything?

It's a hobby. If it went totally the way you just stated, there would be only about 30% of the members left here, and would be limited to only the most current gen hardware.....................as long as you already have it.:P

@ Teemto -:celebration:

No mate... is not about me...since I was includded in Pro League... and it's not about "Pros".

The points and cups should be earn for those who fought to get them, and not for those who bought (or borrow) hardware that nobody has.

How can the points and cups be important... if overrclockers get it without effort and also without overclock?

But in my way of view... points and cups should be the goal to overclockers that want to climb in the ranking...and not for overclockers that only "click and run" benchmarks.

Nor disrespected anyone or mention any overclocker.

Just don't like seeing overclockers working hard to earn something ... while others earn without any effort and skill.

The question is...

Do you think is right an overclocker get a "obscure" chip... that nobody has... and get 7 gold cups, 14 points for only run in stock?

Do you think is right an overclocker get 120 points and 2 global gold cups to run Wprime with a 200 cores Xeon, competing alone?

Just my reply to the question is... "No"... without disrespect no one.

Edited by rbuass

The question is...

Do you think is right an overclocker get a "obscure" chip... that nobody has... and get 7 gold cups, 14 points for only run in stock?

Do you think is right an overclocker get 120 points and 2 global gold cups to run Wprime with a 200 cores Xeon, competing alone?

Does everybody have the opportunity to find these items also?

We're not talking ES items here, just regular everyday attainable hardware.

If you can find it, bench it. It's not the submitter's fault that nobody else has one yet.

Why must you suck the 'fun' aspect out everything?

It's a hobby. If it went totally the way you just stated, there would be only about 30% of the members left here, and would be limited to only the most current gen hardware.....................as long as you already have it.:P

@ Teemto -:celebration:

Why are you trying to overthrow everything, just because you do not like me and always against.

What about "be limited to only the most current gen"

Overclockers can use cheap CPUS and VGAs... E8600... Q6600... i7 920... for example...

Also a 9600GT or even a 8800GTX...and I am not talking about Sandy Bridges and Titans...

Is not about new gen... and YOU KNOW I am not talking about new gen.

Its about to deserve or no...regardless the hardware used is newest or old.

If you can find it, bench it. It's not the submitter's fault that nobody else has one yet.

Nobody told is a fault to bench obscure hardware,...

The fault is to give 14 points and 7 golden cups for it.... or even 60 points and Gold Global cup for competing alone...

Further... still worst if the hardware was benched in stock frequencies.

Rb, you have a hard time getting obscure HW, don't you?

Somebody has to bench it first.

Currently there isn't much value in being the second or third or fourth person person to bench HW, categories tend to stay empty.

With points ramping up quickly that may change, suddenly it's actually worth fighting for small ranking cups.

One of the most entertaining OC battles I've had was with TATaR1N in the 6800 256mb class. Not, by any means, a well populated arena. But it was lots of fun, with rebenching going back and forth and backups and such. And I could do it, because it didn't require a $1k GPU and a $100 power board and a $50 control box and binning half a million CPUs.

Anybody feel like going back to R2? I don't.

The question is...

+1 Mr. Scotty :ws:

Maybe you're one of the affected by this rule ... or not?

Affected or not mate to be honest I don't really care. I bench all stuff I get in my hands and have some fun that's all that matters, because taking this things seriously will get you nowhere... :celebration:

Rb, you have a hard time getting obscure HW, don't you?

Somebody has to bench it first.

Currently there isn't much value in being the second or third or fourth person person to bench HW, categories tend to stay empty.

With points ramping up quickly that may change, suddenly it's actually worth fighting for small ranking cups.

One of the most entertaining OC battles I've had was with TATaR1N in the 6800 256mb class. Not, by any means, a well populated arena. But it was lots of fun, with rebenching going back and forth and backups and such. And I could do it, because it didn't require a $1k GPU and a $100 power board and a $50 control box and binning half a million CPUs.

Anybody feel like going back to R2? I don't.

I never said that people should not bench obscure hardware ... Instead, I agree people must bench all hardware (popular, obscure, new or old).

But I don't think is correct people gain many points without competitors, effort and also without dispute...

Regardless of who is ... for me, must be worth points and cups when there is a dispute.

If by chance for the first score .... the second ... the third score ... to my point of view, should not count points ... but only when there is sufficient number of overclockers to characterize a dispute (and it is not the new Hwbot rule... I am not complaining... but only talking about what is my point of view).

Look ... this is my opinion ... never try to force things to be like I'm thinking.

I know some will be favor ... and some will think against.

But atm, to me, Hwbot are doing right, decreasing the value of easy points.