HWBOT Community Forums

[GIGABYTE-Z77] DDR Issue report

Hicookie

slew + ddr pwm frequency. i couldnt even get 2800 to post before.

hi

and you raised or lowered ddr pwm freq ?

I managed to reach 2790mhz with my 2400 c11 ADATA sticks, and I think I could squeze more out of them but raising trrd and trtp even more dont help. More volts either. Or maybe its the limit of the IMC ? post code is reaching 4f then 69 or something similar then a reboot and stuck at 15 for a long time then shutdown.

anyway oc touch buttons dont work regardless of bios setting. Do i need anything special to get them to work ? ( ratio buttons did work, bclk ones never )

hi

and you raised or lowered ddr pwm freq ?

I managed to reach 2790mhz with my 2400 c11 ADATA sticks, and I think I could squeze more out of them but raising trrd and trtp even more dont help. More volts either. Or maybe its the limit of the IMC ? post code is reaching 4f then 69 or something similar then a reboot and stuck at 15 for a long time then shutdown.

anyway oc touch buttons dont work regardless of bios setting. Do i need anything special to get them to work ? ( ratio buttons did work, bclk ones never )

lowered ddr pwm freq to 250. you need to install the oc touch drivers :)

F5o has been good with my Samsung Green 8GB kit. So far 2400 with 10-12-12-28 and 1.68v is 1000% coverage stable in HCI Memtest (DOS) version. I haven't tried lowering VDIMM yet and it is set as auto.

I have to have the slews at 4 to get past code 51, but though my above settings are stable, it looks like some more work is required to get the board to consistently POST without either doing the 15-03-15 loop or doing a 51. It sometimes needs a couple of loops to get the POST done and then it's rock solid.

I think there might be an issue with the tertiary timings. Some like tRRDR should only go up to 8 maximum I believe, but the UEFI lets me set them up to 16 and I don't think it's actually working as in Mem TweakIT, anything higher than 8 just either sticks at 8, or in the case of tRRDR, shows as 1 which causes stability issues. I couldn't work out why my settings were 1000% coverage stable in HCI Memtest, LinX stable with maximum memory, Memtest stable overnight but kept falling over within seconds in Prime blend. I found it was because I had set tRRDR at 9, and Mem TweakIT was showing that as 1. Lowered it to 8 in the UEFI, and not only does Mem TweakIT show that, but Prime blend is also rock solid now.

Only thing is that even though tRRDR is rock solid at 8, it causes more issues with POSTing, but eventually once it POSTs, I can reboot and start up without any POST issues, unless I go in and need to change anything, and then it is a matter of rebooting till it takes the settings.

Tried a value of 3 mate ? that does at least make most of my kits stable...

Still manual intervention required to allow the Corsair 2800c11 to be stable, but we are indeed on the right track with this board !

Thanks, will try that and report back. I think the main issue seems to be that settings which are stable (Prime Blend 24 hours, Memtest e.t.c) are having difficulty passing POST and it requires multiple boots to get the system up and running, despite playing with skews and what not. I tried the same settings in an ASUS board and with the same timings, subtimings and VDIMM, there were no POST issues and everything was perfect.

I'm loving my Z77X-UP7 though and these new UEFI versions are definately getting better and better.

I hope you guys can give me a little advice. I recently put together this board with an i7 3770K, Patriot Viper Extreme Series (PXD38G2400C11K) set to 11-11-11-30. I followed the OC guide (from this site) as a base; however I did not notice that the LN2 switch was set to Low freq (on my board). This set the multiplier to 16 and trust me it messed me up for about an hr until I realized what the issue was. The odd thing is once I set the LN2 switch to normal and posted into the bios I was able to see the correct CPU speed CPU freq and so on. I then set the XMP profile for the mem and configured the rest of the bios (raid and so on). no overclock at this point. Then I saved the settings rebooted and I got a post code 64 and then nothing, the system would not post. If I set the LN2 switch to low freq it would post. I have swapped memory, CPU's and done everything I could think of to resolve this issue. I can get the system to post with the LN2 switch set to Normal if I hit the reset button a few times, it will post; however that is not right. I have tried all the bios's from Gigabytes site as well. F5F, F5J and F5 give me the most consistent results. The strange thing is once I can post the system is very stable and can run Prime95 all day long. I can also do a very stable 4.8 Ghz overclock as well (once I get the system to post). Strange thing is I don't get the post 64 code at all with LN2 set to low freq. The system works very well in that configuration. Just runs under clocked. Any advice would be appreciated. I have the 2666 Corsair Platinum Mem on the way as well and will try that. I may have a bad motherboard. All the components currently used came out of a very stable 1366 i7 configuration, this build was just an upgrade to new cpu and chipset.

CPU=i7 3770K

Mem=PXD38G2400C11K

Cooling=custom built TEC cooling system (CPU stays at 8c)

Power Supply= 1300 ABS

VGA= 2X Hydro Copper 680's

VGA Power Supply= 650watt

Quick OC bios settings.

Mult 48

Bclk 100

Mem 2400

Vcore 1.35

Just to clarify, this issue happens with no over clock. As soon as I flash the bios, reboot then tell the system to load optimized defaults the system hangs on Post code 64. After a few power resets it will post. then I can get into the bios and configure the rest of the settings. I have better luck (less post code 64 hangs) if I under clock the mem; however like I said with nothing configured in the bios I can still get this issue. I have also used Dom Gt 2000 men from my old 1366 build as a test (only two sticks), same issue.

Sounds like the 51 post code error you guys were getting. Except that is a mem code and code 64 is cpu DXE init

I hope you guys can give me a little advice. I recently put together this board with an i7 3770K, Patriot Viper Extreme Series (PXD38G2400C11K) set to 11-11-11-30. I followed the OC guide (from this site) as a base; however I did not notice that the LN2 switch was set to Low freq (on my board). This set the multiplier to 16 and trust me it messed me up for about an hr until I realized what the issue was. The odd thing is once I set the LN2 switch to normal and posted into the bios I was able to see the correct CPU speed CPU freq and so on. I then set the XMP profile for the mem and configured the rest of the bios (raid and so on). no overclock at this point. Then I saved the settings rebooted and I got a post code 64 and then nothing, the system would not post. If I set the LN2 switch to low freq it would post. I have swapped memory, CPU's and done everything I could think of to resolve this issue. I can get the system to post with the LN2 switch set to Normal if I hit the reset button a few times, it will post; however that is not right. I have tried all the bios's from Gigabytes site as well. F5F, F5J and F5 give me the most consistent results. The strange thing is once I can post the system is very stable and can run Prime95 all day long. I can also do a very stable 4.8 Ghz overclock as well (once I get the system to post). Strange thing is I don't get the post 64 code at all with LN2 set to low freq. The system works very well in that configuration. Just runs under clocked. Any advice would be appreciated. I have the 2666 Corsair Platinum Mem on the way as well and will try that. I may have a bad motherboard. All the components currently used came out of a very stable 1366 i7 configuration, this build was just an upgrade to new cpu and chipset.

CPU=i7 3770K

Mem=PXD38G2400C11K

Cooling=custom built TEC cooling system (CPU stays at 8c)

Power Supply= 1300 ABS

VGA= 2X Hydro Copper 680's

VGA Power Supply= 650watt

Quick OC bios settings.

Mult 48

Bclk 100

Mem 2400

Vcore 1.35

Just to clarify, this issue happens with no over clock. As soon as I flash the bios, reboot then tell the system to load optimized defaults the system hangs on Post code 64. After a few power resets it will post. then I can get into the bios and configure the rest of the settings. I have better luck (less post code 64 hangs) if I under clock the mem; however like I said with nothing configured in the bios I can still get this issue. I have also used Dom Gt 2000 men from my old 1366 build as a test (only two sticks), same issue.

Sounds like the 51 post code error you guys were getting. Except that is a mem code and code 64 is cpu DXE init

Hey you are the same guy who posted this in the help threads on OCN. Okay i think your issue is the ME firmware or the board itself by default setting your LN2 switch to 16x instead of not. IMO flash to a much earlier BIOS, like F3 or one of the F2 BETAs, hopefully back then the ME firmware revision was different. However try flashing back then with the switch in the position for not 16x, like boot in change your switch and then flash. Then flash to F50 or f5G or whatever, even try F5, but first flash back to F3(or earlier). I think all the F5s might have the same ME firmware and thus it isn't overwritten when the BIOS is flashed. I have seen the boards loop to 64 sometimes with the newer betas that aren't validated.

If that doesn't work then you might want to RMA the board as somehow it was initially programmed with the switch in the wrong position. lol

you guys killing me with those 2600 c8 bbse results. I have a trident 2k c9 kit confirmed BBSE from the S/N number and I can't get it to work even at 2400 c10 lol. any hints on bbse clocking with this board ? f3xoc bios is good for ln2, stable and with the black slots i can clock my samsung sticks over 2700mhz. F5o is a bit better for mem clocking and has more settings ( slew rate ) but if it crashes once, then I need to reflash to get it work again...

only thing i can suggest is better bbse :(

if it cant do 2400 c11 then most likely, there is no hope for them. i would imagine you know what the voltage limits and timings are supposed to be so the only thing left is the sticks themselves.

if you can put up your settings and mabye we can spot something that was overlooked?

@leeghoofd

good to see that you got psc working as well... that was soooo last month though :P

*edit*

on a side note... and waaaay off topic. I found something stuck to my sock that looks a whole lot like weed. should I smoke it?

Edited by zeneffect

My result above is with PSC Subaru...

nice result btw

if it cant do 2400 c11 then most likely, there is no hope for them. i would imagine you know what the voltage limits and timings are supposed to be so the only thing left is the sticks themselves.

if you can put up your settings and mabye we can spot something that was overlooked?

@leeghoofd

good to see that you got psc working as well... that was soooo last month though :P

*edit*

on a side note... and waaaay off topic. I found something stuck to my sock that looks a whole lot like weed. should I smoke it?

i say smoke it :)

@leeghoofd

*edit*

they can do this with x79

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2405222

i know its nothing special in timings wise but at least they can reach 2600mhz. maybe i should just throw them out .. were 2400+ 9 11 9 stable on x79 too. never got the chance to test them with ivy yet. will give them another spin then there will be a kit for sale ..

they can do this with x79

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2405222

i know its nothing special in timings wise but at least they can reach 2600mhz. maybe i should just throw them out .. were 2400+ 9 11 9 stable on x79 too. never got the chance to test them with ivy yet. will give them another spin then there will be a kit for sale ..

before throwing more money at the problem, please post up your voltage and timings. 2 (or 3, 4, 5, 10) minds are better than 1.

also what slots are you using? the orange or black? I get higher clocks in orange slots.

@ sin

it totally WAS NOT weed. I think i ended up smoking some month old broccoli last night.

before throwing more money at the problem, please post up your voltage and timings. 2 (or 3, 4, 5, 10) minds are better than 1.

also what slots are you using? the orange or black? I get higher clocks in orange slots.

@ sin

it totally WAS NOT weed. I think i ended up smoking some month old broccoli last night.

thanks for trying to help me out Zen !

so.

started to test the sticks one by one. first impression is that xmp profile is totally useless, even the rated freq is not working with it enabled. with xmp off the case is a bit better but only 2310mhz c11 boot with black or orange slots its similar. with f5o bios i managed to get them to boot at 24x multi, and now currently running 2500 c10 1m stable with 1.825v vtt vcsa 1.15v. now clocking them more and then try to tighten timings. F5o bios is strange still, sometimes it just sets everything on auto after a normal reboot lol

Thanks, will try that and report back. I think the main issue seems to be that settings which are stable (Prime Blend 24 hours, Memtest e.t.c) are having difficulty passing POST and it requires multiple boots to get the system up and running, despite playing with skews and what not. I tried the same settings in an ASUS board and with the same timings, subtimings and VDIMM, there were no POST issues and everything was perfect.

I'm loving my Z77X-UP7 though and these new UEFI versions are definately getting better and better.

So far, I've managed to get all those Tertiary timings down to 6 (from 8 before) with the exception of tRRSR (7) and tWRDR (8) and this is so far 12 hours plus Prime Blend stable with 6500MB RAM (95% of available).

I've tried relaxing to 5 but I then find Prime 95 Blend is stable, but then after a reboot and trying again it fails within a minute and so on.

So far then, I've got 10-12-12-28 at DDR3-2400 with 1.7V (1.692V actual according to ET6) and that is 24 hours P95 Blend Test stable with Tertiary timings at 8, and so far 12 hours P95 Blend Test stable with Tertiary timings at 6, with the exception of the 2 I mentioned.

Still going to continue tweaking and playing :)

Edit: Even though having the Tertiary timings at 6, as above, has been P95 Blend stable for 12 hours, after a restart, it fails within a minute. A restart later and it was fine again. Rinse and repeat, sometimes it lasts hours and hours, and sometimes it fails within a minute. More tweaking required :)

Edit 2: It may have something to do with F5o not applying settings properly. I've loaded my profile for 24hrs P95 Blends stable with Tertiary timings at 8, saved and rebooted, gone back into the UEFI and those settings are all correct. When I check in Windows though with Mem TweakIT, the settings are all different to what I have showing in the UEFI. When this happens, the only thing that seems to work is reflashing F5o and then all works again!

Edited by krich

BIOS F5g

G.skill Pis F3-17600cl7d-4gbpis ( good all the way to 1200C7-11-7 tWCL 8 tho)

G.skill Pis F3-18400cl8d-4gbpis (i was able to run them somehow @1300C8-12-8 on UD5 [bios- F15o ] but not on UP7 F5g

Both sets can't run XMP

51 error - CAS 8 a must in order to boot sets iso CAS 7 from XMP

P.S. F5o on UP7 is terrible for me (bios settings won't stick )