HWBOT Community Forums

R5: Pro OC V2 - Pro OC Cup introduction

Massman

AMD definitely has a place in Pro OC - just the fact that they have the fastest IGP/APU as well as the highest raw clock frequency (something which nowadays still attracts the most audience to overclocking) proves that. They don't have a very dominant place, though.

Oh, and no one is ever forced to bench or buy anything :)

Exactly. Intel chips have the most horsepower, but not everything here is about that - max frequencies for example. The current ram frequency WR is done on an AMD APU, too. CPUZ has been in the game since forever, ignoring that fact would be more company biased than anything else I can think of.

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bad news for me AMD CPU...

I don't consider CPUz and Mem Clock as benchmark... I know is personal... and regardless I used very good Phenoms 955, 965 and 975 before... Istill prefer Spi or other 2D benchs than CPUz and Memclock.

Regardless I don't like suicide screens CPUz... also don't want to bench APU (blargh)... neither to move the mouse to know if my Spi 32 still running or death... lol

Will keep benching Intel CPU and AMD and Nvidia cards ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Fyi,

A small heads-up for the participants of the Pro OC League. The announced Pro OC Cup, heavily discussed and debated in the thread at the forum will kick off on March 1, 2013. At that date, you will be able to register your Pro OC Team at the competition and select the members that will be joining you on the quest to become the best of the best. The team registration will be open until April 1, exactly one month later, after which date it will no longer be possible to either create a team or join/leave the active Pro OC team for the rest of the competition. After the competition ends, you can of course change teams, create your own or just leave the entire Pro OC Cup alltogether.

The main reason why the competition will start next Friday is actually quite simple. The basic set-up of a Pro OC Cup is five stages in three months. Starting in March, the competition will continue in April and end in May. As Haswell will be launched on Computex at the beginning of June, we can kick off the next season with the new Haswell architecture. Starting one month later, in April, would leave us either the choice to allow Haswell in the last month of the competition or disregard the newest and fastest CPU technology on the market. Two not so great options, to say the least.

As I'm writing this, we are still putting the last finishing touches on the various pages related to the new Pro OC Cup. These will be finished by thursday and go live with a whole bunch of other features and bugfixes - essentially a month's work. The competition details such as stages and their limitations are 90% set in stone and will be revealed soon. This first cup will mainly feature the benchmarks and hardware the Pro OC guys are already running so the change in terms of hardware range won't be that big.

More information soon!

http://hwbot.org/newsflash/1933_revision_5_pro_oc_cup_to_kick_off_on_march_1

You are right, this is definitely going ahead. Of course I'm still interested in hearing opinions on how to make the Cup more interesting :).

I. C.

good luck with that i guess, not sure we will do any comps to be honest as the boys are not happy with the change and lack of flexibility

- full year quarterly bench schedule

- forcing benchmarks

- forcing platforms

Is actually

- meet up once or twice a quarter is fine

- same benchmarks like you are running now

- same platforms you're running now

How much "freestyle" do you honestly believe you are doing right now? Last weekend, you guys ran an Ivy Bridge with 7970 graphics cards through a series of benchmarks that have been around for five to twelve years. The only difference with that is that it'll now be:

- limited in time => at some point, there is a winner

- picking a couple of combos to focus on every quarter

couple of maggot bags and dead horse? :D

Add a Farmers Union Iced Coffee and you have everything a growing (outwards) man needs :D

I am interested to see how this plays out. Like Dino, I am disappointed that there is no place for freestyle benchers from the current pro league.. I fear the fun and hobby factor will be lost among many of the really passionate (not to mention long term) guys who bench what they want, when they want, with whatever hardware they choose.

Not everyone in the current pro league has 100(0) CPUs to bin, cannot get 4 free VGAs at a time.. it is asking too much of these users.. I cannot go back to the OC league because I work for MSI, so unless I have missed something.. I am out.. casualty of change I guess..

Add a Farmers Union Iced Coffee and you have everything a growing (outwards) man needs :D

I am interested to see how this plays out. Like Dino, I am disappointed that there is no place for freestyle benchers from the current pro league.. I fear the fun and hobby factor will be lost among many of the really passionate (not to mention long term) guys who bench what they want, when they want, with whatever hardware they choose.

Not everyone in the current pro league has 100(0) CPUs to bin, cannot get 4 free VGAs at a time.. it is asking too much of these users.. I cannot go back to the OC league because I work for MSI, so unless I have missed something.. I am out.. casualty of change I guess..

Currently, the stage list is configured as follows (95% certain it will be like this):

• CPU-Z CPU Frequency
  • SuperPI 32M
  • Wprime 1024M
  • 3DMark Fire Strike Single GPU
  • 3DMark11 Full Out

Fyi, for the first season we'll allow older scores to be used for the stages. This allows Pro OC members to re-use some of the big scores they set in the past couple of months. After a couple of Pro OC Cups, we'll have a Pro OC Ranking based on the performance in the X last cups similar to how the ATP Tennis Rankings work.

I don't really understand your complaints. I mean ... I do, but I don't think the complaints are significantly different from how it is now or are inherently insuperable. The inability to bin 100s of CPUs does not change, whether it's a League or Cup. Not having access to 4 graphics cards will not change whether you're in a League or a Cup. You can still bench whatever you want - it just won't reflect your personal ranking. Looking at the exposure from Team.AU last weekend, I see all the focus is on the benchmark results and none (except for my news post) is on the League position. If that is the freestyle both Dino and yourself are talking about, it doesn't change either.

What changes is that you can now easily team up with some friends, put the available together and bench for a couple of specific targets. You can try to get in contact with possible hardware sponsors (vendors, shops, distributors, ...) and points them to a competition that has an end date; just like a competition should have. You will, after a couple of cups, be able to point to your Pro OC history (we will keep track of wins, stage wins, etc) and show how you did in past editions.

You work for MSI, apparently. My advice? Set up a team featuring a couple of enthusiastic/promising overclockers from a forum, invite them to the office and see if you can do something with the gear you do have available. If you don't win, so what ... it's just for fun, right?

Currently, the stage list is configured as follows (95% certain it will be like this):

• CPU-Z CPU Frequency
  • SuperPI 32M
  • Wprime 1024M
  • 3DMark Fire Strike Single GPU
  • 3DMark11 Full Out

Fyi, for the first season we'll allow older scores to be used for the stages. This allows Pro OC members to re-use some of the big scores they set in the past couple of months. After a couple of Pro OC Cups, we'll have a Pro OC Ranking based on the performance in the X last cups similar to how the ATP Tennis Rankings work.

I don't really understand your complaints. I mean ... I do, but I don't think the complaints are significantly different from how it is now or are inherently insuperable. The inability to bin 100s of CPUs does not change, whether it's a League or Cup. Not having access to 4 graphics cards will not change whether you're in a League or a Cup. You can still bench whatever you want - it just won't reflect your personal ranking. Looking at the exposure from Team.AU last weekend, I see all the focus is on the benchmark results and none (except for my news post) is on the League position. If that is the freestyle both Dino and yourself are talking about, it doesn't change either.

What changes is that you can now easily team up with some friends, put the available together and bench for a couple of specific targets. You can try to get in contact with possible hardware sponsors (vendors, shops, distributors, ...) and points them to a competition that has an end date; just like a competition should have. You will, after a couple of cups, be able to point to your Pro OC history (we will keep track of wins, stage wins, etc) and show how you did in past editions.

You work for MSI, apparently. My advice? Set up a team featuring a couple of enthusiastic/promising overclockers from a forum, invite them to the office and see if you can do something with the gear you do have available. If you don't win, so what ... it's just for fun, right?

I started writing a big wall of text but its better to discuss it in person heh.. I'm coming to Taipei at the end of next week. We'll have to catch up for a beer and chat :) by that time it will be up and running and people can see it in action.

I don't think the Pro League is the problem neither changed.

I worked hard to keep good ranked there, "always", even without to have any hardware sponsorship (I have no CPUs, VGAs and motherboards sponsored, and this is the most important, IMHO, to belong Pro League).

What is the problem to me?

According your phrase:

"Set up a team featuring a couple of enthusiastic/promising overclockers from a forum, invite them to the office and see if you can do something with the gear you do have available. If you don't win, so what ... it's just for fun, right?"

My answer is...

Yes... I always overclocked for fun BUT, NOT ONLY FOR FUN...

To me, and maybe to more guys, is not only for fun.... because all help I got to do events, competitions, presentations and so on.... becomes after to have a good "curriculum".

I don't know if you understand my point of view, but regardless 100% of football players in the FIFA, play football for fun, but after to turn a good player and professional, work "as professional + for fun".

So, I see no problems to overclock for fun + to brake records + to be well ranked.

Change Pro League, to me, and remove all points and scores (please, is only my opinion) was not the correct way, because HWBOT could do the Pro competitions and also keep Pro League.

We followed Rev. 4, according hwbot for what?... to see our points completely removed.

So... after to work hard last months, and to be reached #3 for about 1 month, I lost the desire to continue fighting for a lost cause...then I was about one month out, and without to send scores ... and no more encouraged to keep working.

Also... there are very few Pro Overclockers, if you compare to Extreme and Enthusiast, and not all Pro Overclockers will find 3 or 4 partners... for example, I have no one partner to join a Team, regardless I have lots of friends in Hwbot.

I know for HWBOT, will not change anything if I leave, and I really wish the best for the League and all people here, and I will not keep complaining here... so... I accept hwbot decicion, but I do not agree is the best choice.

Let's see how it works.... I hope hwbot is right, and I am wrong.

Sorry the broken english

Edited by rbuass

[quote=Massman;228459

- meet up once or twice a quarter is fine

Sure - only problem with this theory is that everyone in TeamAU is a minimum of 2000kms apart. We dont even have two people in the same city....One guy in Chch NZ, One guy in Syd, One guy Melb, One guy Adelaide, One guy Brisbane, One guy in Perth, One guy in Jakarta and me in Malaysia. Check out a map, when we want to get together and have fun and kick some ass it collectively (and personally costs) us signifcant time and ca$h....

If we are lucky we can do it two or three times a years as a subset of the team, and maybe once a year together.

With the ability to competitively bench removed, we are only left with drinking and taking the piss out of Fester - surely there has to be more to life that this!!??

Honestly see the change as a disincentive........

Hey peiter.

Long time no chat. I am runing my own company now so havnt got much time for oc these days. Will only be when we all catch up now. I can tell you pretty confidently that team.au wil not participate in the f1 style oc league. We all have families and real life reaponsibilities that focusing on benching is not a reality for us. I wish you the best with the f1 style league but i doubt it will be as successful as you think.

Now we have dreamed for an f1 style comp to return but i believe removing the pro league to make way is not the right way. F1 league should be run seasonally as a competition NOT a league.

We will not stop benching regardless what happens here we will continue to bench what we want when we want. We dont define ourselves by a ranking on a website.

Just an opinion.

We all know you will do what you think is best. Lookong forward to catching up again. Hopefully ill have time to catch up at computex.

Edited by uncle fester