HWBOT Community Forums

[General] - Any question too big to remain unanswered but too small to start a new thread for ...

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the new mobile site implementation, there is a red banner at the top which says "switch to mobile site". When clicked, that should use a relative URL, not absolute. A relative URL when clicked will return you to the same page you were on before you clicked it... Currently, when I switch to mobile it returns me to the homepage instead of the same page I was on before. Not a big deal, but an annoyance.

Also, the rankings for the xoc are including the professionals now. Not sure if that is intended. I went from 3rd to 6th in the US... Kingpin, splave, and gunslinger from pro of are ranked above me now.

Probably temporarly until people choose to go into the new R5 PRO league or not.

With the new mobile site implementation, there is a red banner at the top which says "switch to mobile site". When clicked, that should use a relative URL, not absolute. A relative URL when clicked will return you to the same page you were on before you clicked it... Currently, when I switch to mobile it returns me to the homepage instead of the same page I was on before. Not a big deal, but an annoyance.

Added to buglist anyway.

• Crew

Along with calculation algorithm that makes global points for obscure HW less rewarding will there be a change to MoBo rewards?

I mean - a 5.2 HTPP for any obscure MoBo model while there are hundreds of them - that's HW grinding in a more ugly way than rare CPUs/GPUs (these are at least fun).

Maybe stack such results on a per-chipset basis like Memory results?

This will force members to bench and push the boards to the limit along with more boints for really good results.

Hi

Please change my nickname from Nikwell to AsadSAAD

Thanks

Done.

Along with calculation algorithm that makes global points for obscure HW less rewarding will there be a change to MoBo rewards?

I mean - a 5.2 HTPP for any obscure MoBo model while there are hundreds of them - that's HW grinding in a more ugly way than rare CPUs/GPUs (these are at least fun).

Maybe stack such results on a per-chipset basis like Memory results?

This will force members to bench and push the boards to the limit along with more boints for really good results.

Not planned, but actually a good suggestion. I'll add it to the backlog to discuss with Dennis to see how much effort this will be!

• Crew

GENiEBEN, I don't want to take all the points. I just see an unbalanced side - take 20PC and it's more likely that the most awarding submissions will be the MoBo ones. Without overclocking.

What I want is more points for better overclocking. If your first at stock, it ain't fun. If your #2 among 30 results - you are good, really good. If this result is #3 among all boards with this chipset (and it's a popular one) - you're a hero. But not if you post a stock ECS G31 board result.

Recent memory board is a demonstration of my view.

Sorry if my opinion hurts your feelings and take it easy :)

Edited by Antinomy

How you define better? I can oc it 1Mhz and claim it's better than the guy submitting it stock so I want double the points.

Exotic CPU's get you 60 points, mobos get you 5 points. How much lower should it go to make it fair for non-grinders that can't get their hands on as many mobos? Sorry but I personally like investing in dead stuff, reviving it, validating then throwing it. More fun than paying $600 for a mobo and trying to be first.

In popular CPU categories you can do over 100% OC and still get 0.1, id like that fixed too if we are on the subject.

Whats easy about motherboard reference clocks anyway? I know it takes me sometimes 3 or 4 hours before I give up on a random free board I get. Hell I've spent 2 hours trying to eek out .01Mhz more on a board without OC features through various software clock generator programs to try and take first place. I've been beaten by others doing the same. Does that mean its poor overclocking? I applaud everyone of those guys grinding out TPP on odd hardware, at least its not another 7970/3770k setup. Why is there always such a giant push to make sure everyone gains points the same way. Some overclockers really enjoy trying to make the most points using the very least amount of cash. Its not for everyone, not as glorious as 7Ghz 3770k but why trample the guys doing that?

As a sidebar on it, it gives motivation for people to fill the database with the more uncommon motherboards, which I like for research purposes. Its a much better bet that a mobo doesn't have OC features if the motherboard valid is done at stock.

And finally, like Genieben said above, I think its much more appalling the way a 6000Mhz valid for e8600 gives you 0.1 points.

• Crew
Exotic CPU's get you 60 points, mobos get you 5 points.
A CPU gives you 41,6-52 depending on SSE/2 support. A board gives you 5.2. That's 8-10 times. But if you take 100 boards and 100 CPUs what is the possibility that you get points at stock with the boards and CPUs? I think about 90% of boards won't be present on Bot and 95% of CPUs will be.

Just for example - I don't like the idea that a guy who robs a scrap store and runs 10-20 junk boards outperforms a guy who has found a rare CPU and benched it. OTOH cases with tight competition among boards should be rewarded. The board models

I understand your point on E8600 but this is a different case. Feel free to raise it ;)

The e8600 is definitely a different case and I don't even mind that it is that way. It makes a natural progression from people benching e8600 because it isn't worth anything to other chips. I see the same with motherboards, right now because the reference clock is worth some points guys are grinding points out of motherboards. Why is that bad? Eventually the amount of free/stock points in motherboards will make it less worth it and getting those points will become harder and harder and people will move to something else. The same natural progression. Why is gaining points grinding motherboard reference clocks so evil?

Its hardly ludicrous, I mean an entire piece of hardware for 5 points? That guy stealing 10-20 junk boards, still needs to have both the chips and the RAM to run those boards and take the time to load O/S and work it to get the points. That guy with rare CPU will have done the benches on air, and phase and LN2 and have the chip sold on eBay before the thief got through all 20 boards.

But really my major objection is just why HWBOT and, it seems a good many benchers in general, want everyone to gather points in the exact same way. There seems a calculated and enthusiastic rush make sure that everyone only benches popular chips and GPUs and does it subzero. If you do not wish to bench those you are punished by making sure there is no points in it, or in this case to combine a bunch of scores and make your investment in time and money worth less. Punishment for not getting with the program and overclocking something more popular. Of course, I have the same objection to this new calculation for exotic chips, another example of trying to make sure everyone gets with the program. Two great examples of places that enthusiast (air) benchers can still make some points soon to be destroyed. If it comes down to it, if motherboards should be grouped by chipset, chips and gpus should be grouped by core. Its pretty much the same argument and everyone with points in say Celeron D 310 CPUz would have their points combined with those that have points with Celeron D 340 CPUz.

In the end, if both of these alternative methods are so easy there should be no reason why you or any other overclocker can't compete and grab the same points for themselves. Its not real overclocking after all and would take minimal effort to grab all those free points.

My opinion doesn't mean that I believe the system has no flaws. Laptop motherboards are somewhat problematic, even identifying them sometimes. I can concede that perhaps a system that doesn't award points to OEM boards, or perhaps groups anything that wasn't available retail gets grouped into chipset categories might work and perhaps even solve some of the complaints about motherboard thieves that grab loads of junk boards. ;)

• Crew

Nice point, but I think you don't get mine.

I see the same with motherboards, right now because the reference clock is worth some points guys are grinding points out of motherboards. Why is that bad?
Right now it's worth an unbalanced high amount of points. Your conclusion is false - the way it is now is like splitting VGA cards by models and vendors - usual MSI, MSI Lightning, Asus usual, Asus DC, EVGA, EVGA Superclocked and so on. And this is only for a 7970/680. Same goes for the other GPUs. That's the way MoBo are right now. Just imagine such a situation and your next statement
Eventually the amount of free/stock points in motherboards will make it less worth it and getting those points will become harder and harder and people will move to something else.
is so naive. Do you realize how many different videocard models from different vendors using same GPU are there? The same applies to systemboards, there won't be much less free/stock points.

Some time ago HWBot staff decided to tighten VGA to not differ cards by memory size (only by mem type) meaning all 256/512/1024MB cards with same memory and GPU fall in one category. I think same should be applied here with the same reasons. Or at least slightly less rewarded.

And I run obscure hardware so I do know that this:

If you do not wish to bench those you are punished by making sure there is no points in it, or in this case to combine a bunch of scores and make your investment in time and money worth less. Punishment for not getting with the program and overclocking something more popular
is not quite so since rev. 4. When rev. 3 came out, it hit old school hardware heavily (making benching it useless). And it got fixed in rev. 4 and 5. It's in nice balance with the rest. But motherboards to my opinion are not.

I don't think your comparison to video cards is completely accurate. In my opinion, the comparison I made in my original post to processors is better. I do see your point about the boards being split by vendor and it making an artificially high number of categories within the one benchmark. I still think its the accurate way to go because their is so much completely different features to boards, even those among the same chipset. Why did they tighten those VGA rules? I wasn't inside the room with those that made the decision but I suspect that it had alot to do with the fact that an MSI card XYZ was in most ways the same as Asus card XYZ. Sure some were binned better and so forth or had this feature or that feature but when it came down to nuts and bolts they were pretty much the same.

It isn't the same for motherboards, with wild variations inside the same chipset in some cases. The entire point of having categories is to make sure that hardware is compared against hardware that is comparable. Lumping all boards together inside one chipset does not do this. Advocating for this to happen is the exact same as pushing to have Celeron D (Prescott-256) chips (for example) all put together in the same category. They are all the same core, some probably even came from the same silicon, but arranged by binning by Intel. Therefore there should only be a Northwood skt 478 category or one SandyBridge category. Why would you want to put a DFI P35 T2RS in the same category as a Foxconn P35AX-S? It runs against the very reason to have comparable hardware against comparable hardware, the only thing they have in common is the same chipset. The only thing a Celeron D 310 has in common with Celeron D 345 is the Prescott 256 core.

Nice point, but I think you don't get mine.Right now it's worth an unbalanced high amount of points.

I think you are the most wrong with this statement. Motherboards have only one benchmark, just reference clock. Even if you went out and found 100 motherboards (which is enough of a challenge, in all my hardware hoarding I've only managed 62) that no one had bothered to put up you would end up with 520 TPP. Unless your getting those boards for free you are likely much better off finding 100 CPUs and running the 10 benchmarks available to CPUs. Even at stock, an Athlon 700 Pluto valid (for example) gives out 4.3 TPP, running a Celeron s478 310 at stock nets you approx 2 TPP per benchmark, or 20 TPP in total and far greater than the 5.2 TPP from motherboards. There are only 12 motherboards that even give more than 2 hardware points. 12!

And I think you are missing the greatest reason, they are a great entry device for people with either very limited or no budget that still want to feel like they are contributing to a team. Most hardcore overclockers don't bother with reference clock points, or use boards

that are pretty heavily contested (if there is such a thing) but the guy starting out, using an abandoned computer he found in his basement does. There are very, very, very limited avenues for new overclockers to explore cheaply as it is and changing this up will quash one of them.

As always, its just my opinion on the matter and as I stated before I could probably be convinced to either ban OEM/non-retail boards or lump them by chipset although I would still probably like to leave it alone given the choice.