HWBOT Community Forums

under what category does my cooling rig belong?

well as the title says,i need to know under what category my cooling rig belongs...

simply put,its an air conditioner that has its evaporator submerged in antifreeze.now i think it should be under water cooling,but the air conditioner is technically a phase change cooler...

if you need to see it to understand,here is the build log: http://www.carbonite.co.za/f29/my-kinda-crazy-cheapo-cooling-rig-36459/

Uh,well now this has become confusing...

There's been numerous discussions about this, basically because certain users can set up a WC loop with ambients sub-zero.

The general rule came down on the side of:

- As long as the coolant in your loop is water, stick it under water cooling.

- If you add anti-freeze to your cooler or something which freezes below 0, it comes under sub-zero.

- You are allowed to use a TEC/phase change water chiller on a pure water loop and still keep it as water cooling.

If ever the coolant touching the CPU goes below 0C, it becomes sub-zero.

All-in-one liquid coolers use ethylene glycol, which technically is liquid below zero, so as long as they are unmodded it still comes under water cooling.

Edited by borandi

Ok. I think I got more confused,the coolant tends to remain just above 0,but its sporadic at best. The coolant is (as all antifreeze is) a mixture of water and in my case ethylene glycol.also I'm pretty sure that the mixture I used can't go sub zero ,as it tends to freeze (due to a poor ratio of water to antifreeze,because its cheap).

Howeaver,I see your point,If it is phase change,then what do I do about a submission I have made using this setup under watercooling,can I change it or do I have to delete it and resubmit?