HWBOT Community Forums

MSI Big Bang Xpower discussion thread: Overclocking results and discussion

Massman

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very good shot..

my cpu limit bclk is 226Mhz in Xpower...

I do not test another mobo about bclk.

You tried it like this?

--- boot into bios

--- set all correct multipliers and memory timings I want to use with 230MHz BCLK

--- set BCLK to 220MHz

--- save bios

--- boot into bios

--- set BCLK to 230MHz

--- soft reboot = I can boot at 230MHz into windows

When you crash and board shuts down, you will need to do the same procedure.

UPDATING FIRMWARE OF OC DASHBOARD

In case you have problems with the OC Dashboard not showing the correct values and not applying voltages, here's the way to solve the issue.

Step1: connect the OC Dashboard to any given system using the USB connector. I prefer Windows XP as Vista/7 gave me some unclear issues. Normally it shouldn't be a problem, but ...

Step2: Install the driver for the newly detected USB hardware. You can download the drivers here.

Step3: Open the flash utility and load the new firmware into the application (embedded + open file). The utility and firmware can be found here

Step4: Now press 'connect' and then 'start'. The firmware should now be updating. Once done, fill the thermos and start benching.

The firmware update is just to make it work with the XPower. You can still use the same Dashboard with the other boards.

NOTE: flashing at own risk. Don't think there's any risk involved, but just for the record: I will not cover your hardware damage.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Massman.. For some reason my corsair dominator gt memory wont run past 850mhz..

No matter how low or high I set the multiplier.. It shows up as 1066 by default but the other boards rampage lll / ud9 read as 1333mhz and I can go higher.. Whats the deal you think.. vtt does'nt matter.. 1.55v dram voltage doesnt do anything 1.80v and even the vcore up to 1.9v. Memory just wont run past 850mhz.. weird.. Pcie frequency 110

I wonder whats going on? bios? :)

Thanks so much for the reply! :) Yeah, it's really weird.. Noticed it when I first installed windows.. froze up at 4ghz lol..

As long as I keep my memory below 850mhz I'm good.. I looked for a bios update on their website but nothing.. Apparently I have the latest one unless the one you posted here is newer.. Maybe I'll just re flash or something.. cheers man and thanks!

My best guess is that it's a bios that has been tested to co-op perfectly with the Kingston memory that was used. Bios options (eg: voltages) are the same.

In my experience, the voltage options are good enough for Gulftown. Make sure you use the OC Switches at the bottom of the board to unlock higher voltages (like 1.7V+ vcore)

Thanks Massman, Just confirmed.. Same problem.. Cpu will run pi at around 6200mhz give or take but when I raise the memory beyond 850mhz it just locks up right away.. I guess I'm going to try that bios. thanks for posting!! I'm using the dominator gt 2000mhz memory by corsair. Timings are 8-8-8-24 88