HWBOT Community Forums

MSI Big Bang Xpower discussion thread: Overclocking results and discussion

Massman

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, So I tried the same thing on the xpower as well.. it clocks high for sure and is really stable.. Once again, the memory wont overclock though.. This time it's the gtx2 I wonder if I need to pump more voltage into it.. I'm at 1.80v - 1.90v on the mem. Maybe I should try 2.0v

Mass tell me, what is Your vote for benching ; UD9 or Big Bang ? At this time I testing the first one, but You are test so mouch MSI, and You post some scores with GB, well ? What product is better ? Ofc We are don't look at price at this time ;) I have good experience with MSI at air, but not good like burned cpu power section on sub zero. About GB what I can say; last product, like UD7 is almost indestructible imho.

I hope You can say smth to me about my question.

Edited by DEVILEK

It's a good question.

I had the UD9 for about a week on the desk here when I realized it was the rev0.2 PCB, not the rev1.0. Therefore, I decided not to push the board to the limit, because any of my findings could be swept from the table pointing to the rev0.2 ... even if the findings are correct. I heard a rev1.0 arrived at Leeghoofd's place, so I might be doing a re-test in the next couple of weeks.

What I've experienced with the XPower is that there might be some issues after a couple of intensive benching. I can't pin-point the exact problem, it's as if the components get tired and want a rest. On MOA EU, for instance, we had to re-do the insulation maybe seven times spread over the two days, which is quite a lot. At home, I had a similar issue after around 4-5h benching.

The UD7 was most certainly a decent board. The first revision of the UD7 board was a very good Bloomfield board (imho), but I'm afraid it's not really ready for the Gulftown (had some issues when I tested it months ago). The 2nd revision is build like the UD9 and Hicookie's already proved it's working very well with Gulftown.

One thing you have to note though: for 3D, the UD9 might be a tad slower because of the NF200 latency. For 2D benching, the Xpower is certainly capable of matching the UD9 and UD7. For 3D Vantage (high load, multithreaded), the UD9 will probably yield an extra few MHz due to PWM design. As far as I know, that's only around 6.2GHz and only for Vantage ... 3DMark06 CPU test was the same here.

If you don't have to pay for the boards, you might as well give both a try, though. In the end, it's mostly about personal preference. Some like GBT, some like Asus, some like ... a challenge :D

The ud9 is definitely cool! It's alot of fun to work with as well. I still like the x-power better.. Sometimes at -185c the ud9 decides it does'nt like that and wants to shut down.. Not cb.. It just decides to.. :D I dont know what the deal is but it's not my favorite. The rampage lll and the x-power are really great besides my memory issue. I'm thinking it may just be my mobo. I hope not.. Although the Sr-2 with 2 x5680's is really great though. :)

I just picked up another xpower and lots of my memory issues are gone... so I think its just a matter of the board you get.. I can tell you I had lots of issues with the other at default clocks.. thought it was my memory... but nope.. definitely the board... End of the month I should have my 2nd Sr2.. So I will be doing some ln2 action with that baby...

Good news.. I can pretty much run every benchmark on the xpower now.. Even 3dmark 06 I just tested at 6170 mhz with ht on.. xp gives a crazy score of about 14500.. Also, sometimes the temperatures jump around and I cant seem to get anything to work under LN2.. But then when I re apply thermal grease and start over, the temperature stays pretty consistent.. Maybe the cpu is'nt seated right?

So now I get this new xpower board.. and its just terrible.. great at stock clocks.. but now anything above 5.4ghz... memory issues... gtx2, corsair 2000 cl8, nothing fixes it... chip is good... multiple bios's, and still can't get over this hump... The same chip did 5.8 vantage with no cb... I can boot into 6ghz.. just can't do anything else ... Pretty much stumped... looks like a bad board... waste of my time...

Sorry to hear that brotha.. Mine is acting normal now.. Really weird stuff going on.. It just wont run super pi 32m. That's about the only benchmark my xpower wont run.. Well, at least every xpower board is special or different in their own way.. Cherry pick the xpower boards

:D

Sorry to hear that brotha.. Mine is acting normal now.. Really weird stuff going on.. It just wont run super pi 32m. That's about the only benchmark my xpower wont run.. Well, at least every xpower board is special or different in their own way.. Cherry pick the xpower boards

:D

Try with higher VDIMM: 2-2.1v;)

yestrerday we tried to launch 3-way sli on xpower .. nothing , it see only 2 cards . same thing was with 3/4 cards in crossfire. (5970+5870 or 5970+5970) .

there was only 1 boot , when its was 4 CF enabled , after this - it detects only 1 card. we tried different OS .

anybody have such troubles ?

• 3 months later...

oh very cool man that sounds good :D

1800 required sub timings all to be set to max values :( but it passed, 1.375vcore 1.35vtt 1.74vdimm and 2:10 x20 (5/10)

here are current settings that fail 32m at 7th line every time

ATDu5.jpg

Tryed hammering volts to it 1.4vcore 1.4vtt 1.775vdimm and it causes crash at 2nd line which is worse than before.

Anything stand out? I know the ram can do it, does 1033 7-7-6-19 no problem on r3e.Thanks!