HWBOT Community Forums

1090T and MSI 790FX-GD70

Massman

Working through the remaining boards here at the lab, this time I'm testing the MSI 790FX-GD70. Nothing special at the moment, just testing the basic compatibility to see if there are major flaws.

SETUP:

- AMD Thuban 1090T

- MSI 790FX-GD70, bios variable

- Twintech 9600GT

- 2x 2GB OCZ Platinum DDR3-1600 CL8

- Antec TP 1KW

setup.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Last night I've attempted to open up the 200/266/333 memory dividers for Thuban using the 790FX-GD70. The modifications should've gone perfectly, being that the options are added as well as the registry settings for them (IIRC). Only problem is that selecting the bios option gives me the 1:2 divider and not the lower ones ... as if there's a limitation set to the lowest possible divider is 1:2.

The bios doesn't crash when saving the option, though, so I'm reluctant to say there's such limitation and maybe just something I've missed.

mem-options.jpg

As you can see, three times 1:1 (added just one string to make it easy for myself) for 200/266/333 registry setting. I also removed th 1:2 just because I was able to.

Another important note for all those who want to get the most out of their system

Nah. It's something a lot more stupid.

When setting unganged mode, you basically make the mem config 2x 64bit, so you need to have both DCT's configured. So, if you set unganged mode and want performance, you need to set the DRAM mode to 'both' and manually fix both DCT timings. If you don't, one DCT is set to SPD timings, I think.

Fixed my issues, so I asked MSI to implent a bios option that allows end users to set both by only typing in the timings manually once. a 'linked' option.

~ Massman - DDR3 @ 904MHz - 1011.2 marks MaxxMem

• 9 months later...