HWBOT Community Forums

The official You've Got The Xtreme Power! thread.

G81

First of all, more than one person has the necessary modifications for the competition. Maybe you don't have ... but then you'll just need to find a way to get them. Unless you consider overclocking as something where everything has to be available at your disposal at the very moment you think of it?

Secondly, there are more than one stages in the competition. If you can't win in the 3D one, go for 32M. I always hear people being happy when this benchmark is included in a competition. It's tweakable, right?

Thirdly, I also noticed that most of those who complain haven't been competing in ANY competition in the recent past. A lot of noise and a lot of complaining for sure ... but never actually trying. Maybe it's easier to blame the competition in the beginning than not being the winner at the end?

Fourth, if you read the rules carefuly, MSI is the first manufacturer to not limit the VGA card brand for the 3D part of the competition. This was a HUGE problem in previous competitions and made a lot of overclockers go mad. Sadly enough, when a manufacturer does an effort to solve the problem, the noise-makers fail to see this.

I'm learning a lot from these few replies already ... " ;) "

I noticed the lack of limits for VGA. I also notice it just says "Please use MSI X-power";) Honestly my jaw dropped when I saw this. Kudos go to MSI for that one.

You gotta realize it only takes one crappy competition to put a bad taste in people's mouths. I'll say no more, and no I have never competed in a hwbot contest other than your 01 contest, which I'm not done with. :)

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, more than one person has the necessary modifications for the competition.

Yeah, it's 3 :D

A common secret shared between 3 friends.

Maybe you don't have ... but then you'll just need to find a way to get them.

Yeah, since it's not something we can figure out ( it's a combination of software & hardware mod ) we'll just hire a hot blonde chick to blow our way to the mod.

Or... maybe we should all hook up with somebody in a manufacturer to obtain things that others can't.

Secondly, there are more than one stages in the competition. If you can't win in the 3D one, go for 32M.

Stage 1 is taken away from the very beginning, that I can guarantee you.

The second stage is a more plausible competition, but we all know that the big guns with the cold slow fix also happen to be lucky to have crazy clocking CPUs that make things pretty easy to hit a top 5 spot in the 32M stage too.

Can't wait to see the outcome of this contest ( yeah yeah :D )

Thirdly, I also noticed that most of those who complain haven't been competing in ANY competition in the recent past.

I refuse and boycott unhealthy competitions, so that is correct, I didn't take part in a contest held on HWbot as of yet.

Maybe it's easier to blame the competition in the beginning than not being the winner at the end?

Some people feel the desire and feel like they always have to be the winners, so yes some will not participate in a contest they feel they won't win.

Other people just don't participate in contests that seem to be or just are unfair and flawed.

Fourth, if you read the rules carefuly, MSI is the first manufacturer to not limit the VGA card brand for the 3D part of the competition. This was a HUGE problem in previous competitions and made a lot of overclockers go mad. Sadly enough, when a manufacturer does an effort to solve the problem, the noise-makers fail to see this.

Sadly they FAILED once again, since the requirement of this contest, the motherboard isn't available in most places on this planet and might not be available even after the competition ends.

Also the fact that:

1.Some ( non-sponsored ) people can get the board earlier than the rest is an unfair factor, as you need time to learn the motherboard and its pecularities

2.A lot (?) of people already have or will get a sample from MSI shortly ( and it might as well be a "cherrypicked" sample too )

Before I get misunderstood, it's not about who's the receiver of the "private" goods and mods from the manufacturers, I couldn't care less about the person who's taking that advantage.

I'm against that action from the manufacturer ( giving something that really sets an overclocker apart from the rest ).

Sadly for you, more than the '3 friends' are in the know.

I also notice that you're already certain you can't win and won't compete. Why you are trying to make a lot of noise here, I don't know. Also, I appreciate that you confirm what I mentioned in another thread over at XtremeSystems (and was heavily argumented against):

2) "Average joe would compete if competition is more fair"

Not really. The main incentive for people to join a competition is when they think it's possible to gain something from it, or: that they are convinced they can win. Perfect examples can be found in this competition: Elmor states the system isn't maxed out because of the 31k scores, Hipro5 didn't submit as well as Gomeler who states that Andre binning 36 cards in the GBT HQ is too much for him. I don't believe anyone who states that he would compete if the playing field was more fair. Yes, they'd compete, but only if the percepted playing field is unfair in their advantage.

From what I see it, only those who will not want to put an effort in the competition will have an issue here. Let's say worst case scenario: the board lands on your desk 5 days before the end of the competition. If I were you, I'd make sure both CPU, memory and VGA are pretested on a different mainboard in the three (well five actually) weeks before the end of the competition. This way, you can mount everything up and use similar settings to max the board when it arrives.

Again, the only thing I read from your posts is the next-in-line overclocker who wants to win big by doing little effort. I've been around the OC community for years now and I can see a growing trend of overclockers making pitiful excuses not to join a competition. Either the competition wasn't good, or the hardware was 'the worst ever', or engineering samples did the trick or any other reason that just doesn't matter. I find it funny that in times where some people are shouting as loud as possible that overclocking is just to have fun, they are also making the excuses as if they were professional athletes.

You can be angry, annoyed or hurt by what I'm writing here, but at least I'm giving a honest reply here.

Sure it's just me.

Can I win ?

Let's see...

Let's assume that I managed to get ahold of a decent 980X that is capable of running 3D Mark Vantage at 6GHz and SuperPi 32M at 6.3GHz.

Let's also assume that everybody else sucks at tweaking SPi32m and I'm the Buddha of tweaking, so I manage to get a good position ( 2nd, 3rd, 4th ) [ unless you think that there's a chance of a guy with a 6.3GHz CPU beating a 6.55GHz CPU :P ].

Vantage is pretty much a hit & run benchmark, and the few things that can have a little effect on the score are common knowledge between the overclockers ( I'll be surprised if the good benchers don't know these ).

So... I have a CPU disadvantage ( let's ignore the fact that it doesn't really matter in a single socket & single GPU configuration ) and also a VGA disadvantage ( 1100 - 1150MHz GPU vs 1200+ GPU ).

Now, honestly do you think I can win ?

The point is that you don't get the point.

I really don't care about winning a contest and its effin prizes. They can have them, I really don't give a sh*t.

I also don't give a rats as* if Andre ( nothing personal dude ) or Jen Hsun or MSI's owner wins the competition.

But I can't become a hypocrite and pretend that I understand that this competition is fair.

Fact is I wouldn't take part in this competition no matter what, even if I could win without breaking a sweat.

So if you're looking for personal motives & reasoning, there are none to be found.

p.s. I took part in GOOC 2009, 3D Mark2001SE, it was nice and unlimited on all ends, and despite the fact that I could choose to have a go at the Multi-GPU stage where Hipro5 wasn't competing, I went after the single-GPU stage for the sake of competition, fun and showing & learning stuff.

And I've even decided back then to let Hipro5 go even if I ended up on top ;)

Having doubts ? Ask him if I gave him a hint to catch up with me after finding something interesting ;)

Edited by BenchZowner

Sadly for you, more than the '3 friends' are in the know.

I also notice that you're already certain you can't win and won't compete. Why you are trying to make a lot of noise here, I don't know. Also, I appreciate that you confirm what I mentioned in another thread over at XtremeSystems (and was heavily argumented against):

From what I see it, only those who will not want to put an effort in the competition will have an issue here. Let's say worst case scenario: the board lands on your desk 5 days before the end of the competition. If I were you, I'd make sure both CPU, memory and VGA are pretested on a different mainboard in the three (well five actually) weeks before the end of the competition. This way, you can mount everything up and use similar settings to max the board when it arrives.

Again, the only thing I read from your posts is the next-in-line overclocker who wants to win big by doing little effort. I've been around the OC community for years now and I can see a growing trend of overclockers making pitiful excuses not to join a competition. Either the competition wasn't good, or the hardware was 'the worst ever', or engineering samples did the trick or any other reason that just doesn't matter. I find it funny that in times where some people are shouting as loud as possible that overclocking is just to have fun, they are also making the excuses as if they were professional athletes.

You can be angry, annoyed or hurt by what I'm writing here, but at least I'm giving a honest reply here.

Why is it when K|ngp|n throws a competition, other than his Dominance cooler one, that plenty of people compete? Sure its a low clock, but he puts no cooling restrictions on. Usually he doesn't allow ES either. No manufacturer restrictions......and on and on. His last 01 comp had TONS of activity until the last half which was expected. All the guys who maxed their personal scores out were forced out due to scores and the strong were left standing to battle.

What's hilarious about his competitions is that he offers ZERO money for them. I also don't remember anyone crying "unfair" either. Face it man, you guys are not throwing the competitions with the rules the community wants. That doesn't mean everybody wants the rules to swing in their favor. :)

PS: Sorry for bringing your name into this K|ngp|n, but you are the best example I got. :)

Fair competition =

If you want Xpower only move the date so everybody can get one and have a few days to pretest it and insulate it properly.

Limit the GPU clocks to lower than cold slow & OCP frequencies so everybody can have a go.

There it goes.

People will buy the Xpower.

People will think they have more chances to win.

Nobody will have to share the cold slow mod.

Why is it when K|ngp|n throws a competition, other than his Dominance cooler one, that plenty of people compete? Sure its a low clock, but he puts no cooling restrictions on. Usually he doesn't allow ES either. No manufacturer restrictions......and on and on. His last 01 comp had TONS of activity until the last half which was expected. All the guys who maxed their personal scores out were forced out due to scores and the strong were left standing to battle.

What's hilarious about his competitions is that he offers ZERO money for them. I also don't remember anyone crying "unfair" either. Face it man, you guys are not throwing the competitions with the rules the community wants. That doesn't mean everybody wants the rules to swing in their favor. :)

You're using a flawed analogy.

What you are describing are community-based competitions. The ones organised by Vince are the same concept as the monthly OC challenges we have here at HWBOT: the point is not to win, but just to have a bit of fun pushing each other to post better scores.

For some unknown reason, things change when manufacturers are involved. Suddenly, things have to be as fair as possible (note: nothing has to be fair in community competitions) and any disadvantage will be called in to explain a loss.

The irony here is that on the one hand, people state that they will not part-take in a competition organized by a manufacturer because the financial input outweighs the gain when winning, whereas they are willing to spend the same amount of money on a community competition. Strangely enough, the outcome is mostly the same in both competitions: you will probably not win any money. So what is different?

For your information, and this is probably the most ironic of all, I've heard tons of people say that "they would compete if the prize money was much bigger" as that would make the input smaller than the possible output. Turns out - this is just another excuse for not competing.

I can think of a few reasons why people refuse to compete in manufacturer competitions, but I should keep those for myself as it will (again) upset a few people. I do think, however, that some people have to start putting things in the right perspective.

Now, honestly do you think I can win ?

It's my point exactly ...

Limit the GPU clocks to lower than cold slow & OCP frequencies so everybody can have a go.

Limit the clock frequency?

Let's not waste LN2 then and just say stock VGA clocks. That should be fun, yeah! Also, it will perfectly display the act of 'overclocking', yeah yeah! Ah, yes, and this will not make people cheat and run at higher clocks, yeah yeah yeah!

Excellent plan.

Fair competition =

If you want Xpower only move the date so everybody can get one and have a few days to pretest it and insulate it properly.

There it goes.

People will buy the Xpower.

People will think they have more chances to win.

Nobody will have to share the cold slow mod.

fair enough , but Limit the GPU clocks is not a good way. Some guys will cheat gpu clock, especially this is a "money" contest.:)

Edited by AndreYang

You're using a flawed analogy.

What you are describing are community-based competitions. The ones organised by Vince are the same concept as the monthly OC challenges we have here at HWBOT: the point is not to win, but just to have a bit of fun pushing each other to post better scores.

Wrong.. Your monthly overclock challenges are on ancient hardware. Vince's comps are as modern as the manufacturer contest. Vince puts up some pretty nice prizes, but if you got to buy the hardware thats best, the prizes aren't worth the purchase. The point is the rules attract people. Plus Vince is a manufacturer of ln2 cooling equipment. :)

For some unknown reason, things change when manufacturers are involved. Suddenly, things have to be as fair as possible (note: nothing has to be fair in community competitions) and any disadvantage will be called in to explain a loss.

I can't speak for everybody so here is my take. There is a thing called fair and IMHO if the competition is sponsered by a manufacturer by god it should have fair rules. For hwbot comps, fair isn't limiting clocks. Fair is 1.) The hardware is available by the start date of the competition. 2.) No freaking ES gear!! How hard is that? 3.) Employees of said sponser shouldn't be competiting for winnings.

Lemme use Andre for example. The reason why is because he is known for spending HIS money to extensively bin CPU's. So you restrict to the stated rules above. If Andre finds a 6.5ghz 980x through his binning process to win the comp. Who can bitch? Well lots of people, but they are gonna bitch anyways because they envy anyone who can buy things they can't. Was it a fair competition? Yes it was. Everyone played the same lotto to find a good CPU. In my example Andre just happened to buy more tickets. ;) What isn't fair is if a manufacturer gives a bencher a tray full of ES CPU's and a stack of ES cards to win the comp they are throwing. Really that's just shitty business ethics.

The irony here is that on the one hand, people state that they will not part-take in a competition organized by a manufacturer because the financial input outweighs the gain when winning, whereas they are willing to spend the same amount of money on a community competition. Strangely enough, the outcome is mostly the same in both competitions: you will probably not win any money. So what is different?

For your information, and this is probably the most ironic of all, I've heard tons of people say that "they would compete if the prize money was much bigger" as that would make the input smaller than the possible output. Turns out - this is just another excuse for not competing.

Let me tell you why I don't and then won't compete in these competitions. First, and the one that really matters is the fact I don't have the money to play the game right now. If I was going to go out on a limb and borrow money/sell stuff to enter, the prize that I have a CHANCE of winning better be greater than the money spent. LN2 included..... Until then I'll never take part in a competition unless I already own the required gear.

Second, I won't compete at hwbot competitions because of these very rules we have discussed in this thread and countless other on the forums. The likely winner is already picked by the manufacturer..... Until that changes I wouldn't compete if I was a millionaire. Its a principal thing.

I can think of a few reasons why people refuse to compete in manufacturer competitions, but I should keep those for myself as it will (again) upset a few people. I do think, however, that some people have to start putting things in the right perspective.

That's probably a good idea. Your perspective seems to be off center from the majority. ;)

Limit the clock frequency?

Let's not waste LN2 then and just say stock VGA clocks. That should be fun, yeah! Also, it will perfectly display the act of 'overclocking', yeah yeah! Ah, yes, and this will not make people cheat and run at higher clocks, yeah yeah yeah!

Excellent plan.

Why must you be so arrogant towards everyone? A low clock challenge with modern hw wouldn't be a bad idea for the hw challenge. :)

Definitely you can't limit clocks in this competition so I gotta agree. It however isn't fair to have access to the cold slow mod and compete in this competition. That's my smallest gripe though and I could live with that being allowed.

Why do I waste my time discussing things with you Massman? You're right, I don't compete in these competitions. I care about the community and its growth. Shit that goes on here discourages tons of up and comers who are just getting into this hobby. I don't know about you, but I'd like this thing to grow. Stuff like these competitions just give them a bad taste. That taste can be hard to wash out.....

Wrong.. Your monthly overclock challenges are on ancient hardware. Vince's comps are as modern as the manufacturer contest. Vince puts up some pretty nice prizes, but if you got to buy the hardware thats best, the prizes aren't worth the purchase. The point is the rules attract people. Plus Vince is a manufacturer of ln2 cooling equipment. :)

I'm quoting you m8, but the reply is for massman's previous post comparing Vince's competitions and the community competitions with the manufacturer's competitions.

Well, here's the key.

We spend money on both competitions, but in the community competitions you can buy whatever you want, and usually that's something that you keep and gain from purchasing it in the future.

For example, if I had to buy a X58 motherboard for extreme overclocking and of course to participate in Vince's competition for example ( which has no brand restrictions ) I would buy the eVGA X58 Classified since that's the best motherboard in my opinion and I would like to have it to bench for HWbot in the future and in general.

In the manufacturer's competitions that we've seen as of late we are forced to buy a specific motherboard of their desire.

Will that product be of any benefit to me after the contest ends ( regardless if I win the contest or not ) ?

Most of the times the answer is no.

So why should I spend the money to buy the Xpower in example and money on LN2 and "work hours" for a slim chance to win the 1st prize ( which usually is money, and to be precise just a little bit over what you're required to spend for the competition ) ?

You know, the majority of the overclockers out there are not seighs, millionaires, and pimps.

They are usually poor or just "economically ok" people who can afford to spend a few bucks on hardware/ln2 each month.

So if they're going to spend some money they'd rather spend them on something they'll use and benefit from everyday, not just for 1 day, a single competition.

Its a principal thing.

Right on mate, sadly there are far less people with principal and ethics nowadays.

And also right on about the way the newcomers and forthcoming ( possibly, if they don't get discouraged & disgusted by the mess we go through lately ) feel when they read these things.

How bout we just share the slow cold fix like sharing usually happens?

Sounds like a great idea

Not gonna happen ( I can fix that, give it to me and I'll leak it :D )

Chuchnit,

I hope you understand that the attempt of disproving the insight that competitions run at Kingpincooling, OCXtreme or any other global or local overclocking forum is not correct. To begin with, the OC Challenges are not just on ancient hardware because it's a characteristic of the series, it's because we want to keep the cost to join as low as possible. Not making it hugely expensive just to have something different that the hwboints each week. In addition, what Vince's doing with his competitions is, unlike manufacturers, not an attempt to create exposure for his own brand. He runs it on his forum, again, just to have a bit of fun. If I were Kingpin, I wouldn't like it if people considered me a manufacturer, to be honest ...

All in all, those competitions are community based. Definitly different from what manufacturers are doing; very, very different.

I can also see that you're using the same arguments as Benchzowner when it comes to not competing. Again, this is exactly as I pointed out on XtremeSystems, although there I was not lightly 'attacked' because of the analysis. But, okay, since you ask so friendly, let me point out this: the competition that was heavily under fire not so long ago (not mentioning the competition out of respect for MSI) was one where ES samples were explicitly forbidden. It's ironic that although the ES was forbidden that none of those who make loads of noise managed to submit one score. I heard a lot of excuses in the end ... yes. Having the ES or not makes virtually no difference in the outcome of the competition as those who are really into extreme overclocking (and willing to spend the hours necessary) are mostly on top. You can call that elitism, I call it reality.

Just in case you also didn't notice. During the Xpower competition, there's a more mainstream competition running for those who don't want to spend loads of money and still want a shot at a nice prize: http://hwbot.org/competition/msi_fun_oc_festival. It's really simple: lga1156, bclk and no ES.

Regarding the arrogance - I never try to be arrogant. I actually don't even consider myself arrogant. Sometimes I might use a bit of sarcasm to point out a flawed reasoning. But ... I'm really working on not using sarcasm again.

Oh, and I don't know what this is all about => "I don't know about you, but I'd like this thing to grow". I could use sarcasm again and say reply "no, I don't want it to grow, I just work way too much for a small paycheck because I like it". But I won't. I will just say "I want to make it grow too".

Let it go, Massman. We provide the infrastructure for manufacturers to hold competitions, we don't make the rules. If we are going to take all critic on manufacturer competitions personally we are going burn out from stress within a year. :)

The fact is that I don't take it personally ... I'm just not fond of people who make a lot of noise and present facts as a very simple (yet very clear) picture making everything they say look valid.

A lot of replies remind me of Belgian politics actually :D

Chuchnit,

I hope you understand that the attempt of disproving the insight that competitions run at Kingpincooling, OCXtreme or any other global or local overclocking forum is not correct. To begin with, the OC Challenges are not just on ancient hardware because it's a characteristic of the series, it's because we want to keep the cost to join as low as possible. Not making it hugely expensive just to have something different that the hwboints each week. In addition, what Vince's doing with his competitions is, unlike manufacturers, not an attempt to create exposure for his own brand. He runs it on his forum, again, just to have a bit of fun. If I were Kingpin, I wouldn't like it if people considered me a manufacturer, to be honest ...

All in all, those competitions are community based. Definitly different from what manufacturers are doing; very, very different.

Perception is reality. The perception by the majority is that these are not fair. I just gave an example of one competition that no one could complain about.

I see the motive in the hw challenge and I don't mean to discredit them. Classicplatforms and many others have a blast with those. Reading my post I can see that it seemed as if I was putting them down. That was not my intentions. :) It would be cool to mix them up a little. But I can't complain if you guys don't change a thing.

I can also see that you're using the same arguments as Benchzowner when it comes to not competing. Again, this is exactly as I pointed out on XtremeSystems, although there I was not lightly 'attacked' because of the analysis. But, okay, since you ask so friendly, let me point out this: the competition that was heavily under fire not so long ago (not mentioning the competition out of respect for MSI) was one where ES samples were explicitly forbidden. It's ironic that although the ES was forbidden that none of those who make loads of noise managed to submit one score. I heard a lot of excuses in the end ... yes. Having the ES or not makes virtually no difference in the outcome of the competition as those who are really into extreme overclocking (and willing to spend the hours necessary) are mostly on top. You can call that elitism, I call it reality.

Well sure I gave you excuses. Valid ones though. Me being broke right now is the biggest. I still stand by them though. Once things get better for me, I may compete, but the rules have got to change and I gotta be able to actually gain something from winning (if I did). If evga ever throws a competition here I'll compete just to make you happy. (I already own a classified :) )

Usually I would agree with you on the ES thing, but GT and Clarkdale re-wrote those rules. There is what, one 6.4-6.5ghz retail 980x in the wild? Please correct me if I'm wrong. How many ES are in that range. I'm talking about 32m here. That's where my analogy of Andre comes to point. There are great retails out there. They are hard to find. Let the people compete and have to find that golden retail. ES are already binned and have been proven to hit those frequencies already and outshine almost all retails. As long as those ES CPU's are still living it will skew the outcome of the competition.

I never said that people with ES aren't deserving. Hell I don't mind as much as most to let them compete in the globals. I'm all about seeing the highest scores out there. Hell I've been lucky enough to pick off some scores from guys I look up to from time to time. It motivates me. Basically man the day to day hwbot ranking in no way are expected to be as "fair" as manufacturer sponsered comps.

Just in case you also didn't notice. During the Xpower competition, there's a more mainstream competition running for those who don't want to spend loads of money and still want a shot at a nice prize: http://hwbot.org/competition/msi_fun_oc_festival. It's really simple: lga1156, bclk and no ES.

Honestly I didn't know that. I'll check it out.

Regarding the arrogance - I never try to be arrogant. I actually don't even consider myself arrogant. Sometimes I might use a bit of sarcasm to point out a flawed reasoning. But ... I'm really working on not using sarcasm again.

Oh, and I don't know what this is all about => "I don't know about you, but I'd like this thing to grow". I could use sarcasm again and say reply "no, I don't want it to grow, I just work way too much for a small paycheck because I like it". But I won't. I will just say "I want to make it grow too".

That's good, but you guys need to relay to the manufacturers what the pulse of the community is thinking. That includes more than the top 10 in the rankings. This hobby is still too small. Focus needs to be given to the small guy too. It will keep that flame going for them.

Massman, I honestly didn't know you guys don't write the rules until Richbastard made that comment. I thought you guys had more to do with the rules.

We do relay the feedback of the community to the manufacturer, chuchnit, but in the end they still may make the rules of their own competitions. And they are well in their right, they keep the gears turning. :)

Understood. Like I said above I was unaware of the control you guys have over these these, or lack thereof. You guys really do a great job with hwbot so please don't think I was ever implying otherwise. :) Thanks again for clarification.

Well this seems pretty simple to me. When a competition is anounced read the rules, if you don't agree don't compete. When the overclockers are walking away from manufacturers competitions instead of competing hopefully they take notice.

Well in the end that is what will happen, but I just couldn't sit quiet anymore either.

For the record, the coldslow modification has been put under NDA by Nvidia rather than the manufacturers. Point your arrows on the correct target.

I don't use arrows, just wishful heat vision. Until somebody with a competitive bone in their body decides to be slick and step out from behind their nda shield and start slipping out the cb fix, I'll stick with wishful thinking when riding that -58 thru -61 cold bug.

Its cool, I understand the fear. O.o