HWBOT Community Forums

ASRock Z87 Comes With Waterproof Conformal Coating?

Massman

i think this feature was in discussion when the X58A-OC was in development, the issue was if you add a real layer of con formal coat over everything, well things overheat.... really think about the possibility of that....

Would be a nice feature tho! But you would still need to insulate everything else. I wonder how that waterproofing will work with multiple cycles of cold and heat? What about discoloration? What about fixing broken stuff? I mean when is the last time you coated your motherboard with insulation and then used it on air 24/7 with the coat and didn't worry?

Edited by sin0822

• 3 weeks later...
lmao water is dude

waiting for your test splave, If this works without extensive insulation from users end then as others said, Asrock would have gained another customer here, :D. Condensation is a bitch when temperature is 45C like here.

why can't he pour a conductive liquid on it? I mean if that liquid wont short out a molex or a fan header, then how do we know it is a conductive liquid? It could just be de-ionized water..

Why not use coke like in the slides?

You really suspect them goofing this video with de-ionized water?

no i suspect them goofing with the non conductive liquid stuff they use in watercooling loops. I mean look at the VRM in the video it looks like it has grease on it, otherwise their conformal coat isn't even:

asdvh.png

Also how are the fan connectors insulated? How about the molex at the bottom? I know for a fact fan headers can short and cause a blow up.

BTW i can just watch massman bench if i want to see only papaer towels used lol. The issue becomes when you defrost, it has never beening being cold. Only when the PCb temperature rises above ambient.

you can understand my hesitation to trust asrock after: de-humidifier function, false lower CPUz readings/overvolting, advertising digital PWM with an analog one, and producing boards with one philosophy: reduce production costs as low as possible to benefit the company rather than the consumer. I mean the last one is fine and all, but I am an american with a brain, I care about quality of my products.

I believe it when I see it, so two weeks splave, we got a date :D salt water will work just fine. water isn't conductive until it is ionized, salt water is filled with ions.

Troll much?

Fan headers blowing up personal experience there bud? Seems as though you may be doing a bit to much back seat driving, and watching from the sidelines instead of actual overclocking.

Usually when I defrost the session is done, so who cares about water when thawing, you just let it sit for a few hours and you are ready to go again, not even sure why this was mentioned.

As for the de humidifier option, I have seen this in the bios but since I am actually overclocking I don't really bother with it, as it does not help max clocks, not even for bclk world records:p All of the retail boards I have had have solid readings for vdimm and vcore and others can verify so maybe check your dmm.

As for the false advertising about digital vs analog, I can agree but when it runs better than most other vendor's digital PWM how can you argue?

And tell me how any of these vendors have any interest in what is good for America or the American economy? Where do you think all of this money is going? Back in circulation in the US economy? Come on your smarter than that. As a corporation their best interest is in increasing profits, not what is best for the consumer and that is every company, not just Asrock so moot point imho.

And to err on the side of caution, I would still insulate the motherboard on top of the conformal just to be safe, and really pouring cola or deionized water? How about just benching the board and posting some results good or bad? I am sure we (the users) will figure out if this is marketing at it's finest or an actual good idea.

I know you have lots of hate for any vendor other than Gigabyte and that is ok with me, but I usually like to choose whoever has the fastest, easiest to bench boards (with proper bios support) regardless of brand so if everything is dialed on the Gigabyte like I keep hearing you will see me benching a Z87 OC X.

Lol massman

Troll much?

Fan headers blowing up personal experience there bud? Seems as though you may be doing a bit to much back seat driving, and watching from the sidelines instead of actual overclocking.

Usually when I defrost the session is done, so who cares about water when thawing, you just let it sit for a few hours and you are ready to go again, not even sure why this was mentioned.

As for the de humidifier option, I have seen this in the bios but since I am actually overclocking I don't really bother with it, as it does not help max clocks, not even for bclk world records:p All of the retail boards I have had have solid readings for vdimm and vcore and others can verify so maybe check your dmm.

As for the false advertising about digital vs analog, I can agree but when it runs better than most other vendor's digital PWM how can you argue?

And tell me how any of these vendors have any interest in what is good for America or the American economy? Where do you think all of this money is going? Back in circulation in the US economy? Come on your smarter than that. As a corporation their best interest is in increasing profits, not what is best for the consumer and that is every company, not just Asrock so moot point imho.

And to err on the side of caution, I would still insulate the motherboard on top of the conformal just to be safe, and really pouring cola or deionized water? How about just benching the board and posting some results good or bad? I am sure we (the users) will figure out if this is marketing at it's finest or an actual good idea.

I know you have lots of hate for any vendor other than Gigabyte and that is ok with me, but I usually like to choose whoever has the fastest, easiest to bench boards (with proper bios support) regardless of brand so if everything is dialed on the Gigabyte like I keep hearing you will see me benching a Z87 OC X.

I decided to erase that post about an hour ago, you sat there for an hour with my post in the quote wondering what to say? :D i feel honored. Damn if i sat there an hour before every post I wouldn't say most of the stuff I say.

Edited by sin0822

Lol massman

I decided to erase that post about an hour ago, you sat there for an hour with my post in the quote wondering what to say? :D i feel honored. Their Z77 boards VRMs ran like crap BTW you failed to notice they make up CPUz readings with those boards, funny thing is their Z87 boards will do the same! But the Z77 OCF and the two new OCF all use the digital PWM(the ones left over from when asus was sharing).

No I just started to reply and then I . . . . actually started benching:D

SHpMkB6.jpg

Maybe time to start doing some more of that:)