HWBOT Community Forums

Should HWBot be divided into a two class structure?

Should HWBot be divided into multiple classes?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Should HWBot be divided into multiple classes?

• Yes, HWBot should have Ameture and Pro leagues. (sponsored & non-sponsored)
    • No, I like HWBot rankings the way they are.
    • No, I have a better idea. (please elaborate below).

There is no point in cooling categories or giving points based on cooling methods.

What difference does it make, which cooling have been used during some benchmark. Like in Finland we have -30C° on winter and +30C on summer. If you bench in a shed, how do you compare those aircooled results. In watercooling category I could use my chiller, which can do all temperatures between +30C° to -35C°

But if I have got these ideas somehow wrong, tell me what was the real deal. I might have missed some posts in a hurry.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No your on it SF3D. This conversation seems to have evolved into the dumbing down of hwbot. It is counter-productive to penalize members for taking their oc to the uber level (separate cooling classes? 8P ), isn't that what its all about? If you want to segregate sponsored/manufacturer members, do it in such a way as to identify them, but not penalize them. We need to see what these components can do in the right hands with unlimited resources...gives us a target and motivates us.

Splitting points up based on cooling is a very nice idea in theory, but in practice just not possible. Software temperature read-outs are oh so cheatable and not at all a good verification tool.

You don't need any kind of verification for cooling. The OC its self should be enough to tell a difference. If you see someone claiming to benchmark a CPU at 6Ghz on water or air, you know they're lying. If someone submits something questionable, request a system pic.

If you worry to much about if something is 'cheatable' or not, you'll never be able to make any changes. There will always be someone out there willing to lie, cheat, and steal. Doesn't mater how well you think the rules are played out, people will find a way around it. It's like the whole hardware sharing rule. How is that enforceable? How was that ruled as a 'not so cheatable' action that could enforced? I find it would be easier to tell if someone is lying about cooling than it is tell if someone is using shared hardware. Your 'so cheatable' point seems null to me.

The problem is that in this case it's too easy to cheat, plus it's really hard to determine what's fair and what's not. Siberian winter vs Arizona desert temps? You run on air in -50c environments, that's within the definition of air cooling, but in reality it's even better than phase change.

I'm quite sure people will start saying "I don't have a camera or web camera" ( I LOL especially at the latter part of the excuse )... but it's one of the things that can be done irl.

Well to give you a good laugh...

I don't have a web camera.

I mean that, I really, really don't :o

Camera, yes. Video my benching, sure do it all the time...easy.

But 99% of my online benching friends live in other time zones, so what good is a web camera to me.

Leagues ? Classes ?

Separate Intel from AMD , its obvious that in a lot of the benchmarks Intel is the only way to go .

Classes by cooling .. LN / LH / DICE , obviously those on air coolers cant compete with more aggressive cooling methods .

All my results etc are from a desktop machine , heavily loaded with software etc

Separate Intel from AMD , and maybe 3 classes ...

Desktop

Amateur

Pro

Leagues ? Classes ?

Separate Intel from AMD , its obvious that in a lot of the benchmarks Intel is the only way to go .

Classes by cooling .. LN / LH / DICE , obviously those on air coolers cant compete with more aggressive cooling methods .

All my results etc are from a desktop machine , heavily loaded with software etc

Separate Intel from AMD , and maybe 3 classes ...

Desktop

Amateur

Pro

Its also unfair if you are overclocking with a stock cooler and competing with some1 with Venomous/DH14, so I propose a separate class for each and every air/water cooler out there

Don't go too far guys... ok to split between sponsored people who has tons of ES hw months before the rest of the overcloking world, but splitting because it's unfair that someone overclocks with a stock cooler against someone else who has a liquid cooling, it's crazy...

Do you like overclock? then go out, buy some waterblocks, learn tricks and optimizations from the forums and improve your results, likewe all did when we started. ;)

Hi

I voted for split.

To my POV, sponsored OCers sould be carring (mandadory) the sponsor "flag". Pro Teams should be created. No points share with mainstream Teams. Sponsor: all companies from Industry, be manufactures, retailers or web based, etc.

Just my tought.

Be well

Edited by aGeoM

How do you imagine this split? If I have scores from two ES cpu in my profile, whereas all other has been made on my own hardware am I amateur or pro?

On the other hand if somebody doesn't have skills/proper cooling even with bags of cpus from AMD/Intel he won't do anything.

My two cents, base a system of scoring on experience and skill. Everything we do is something learned, from building our fist computer to setting up for a world record run. Create five levels, earn enough point you move on. Level one would be a catchall. After time in general the 4 remaining levels will be dominated by cooling type, with those with budget and skill passing trough. User points would be based on the system in place now, with the first place in each level gaining the same score 2nd etc. Team points, cups/metals and all other scoring would be based on the system in place.

It's just an idea and probably already discussed.

No problem with the way it is.

The issue is "should want".

It's one thing to split up things at the side of HWBOT, but if this pro league has totally no support from any vendor, it's existence is pointless. After all, if vendors don't like/need the pro league, they can just continue to manipulate amateur rankings.

It is my opinion, that we as the consumers drive the manufacturers. It is our responsibility to "wag the dog" and show the manufacturers the way in which the consumers will best support OC efforts and new hardware release. Now, the manufacturer's are the one's leading us around by the nose..

A reorganization would only have to be supported by the consumers and bot users for the manufacturers to follow suit.. They would not have a choice once we make the decision to support the new method.