HWBOT Community Forums

Should HWBot be divided into a two class structure?

Should HWBot be divided into multiple classes?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Should HWBot be divided into multiple classes?

• Yes, HWBot should have Ameture and Pro leagues. (sponsored & non-sponsored)
    • No, I like HWBot rankings the way they are.
    • No, I have a better idea. (please elaborate below).

Pro and Amatuer leagues is a good idea. If a person is getting pre-released and/or fresh equipment from a vendor, sure it's an unfair advantage if they have time to test out the best possible configuration before posting. Heaven forbid if I have the time and connects to have LN2 trucks stop by my house once a week, lol, this wouldn't be a conversation I'd be involved in if it were true. Air,Water,and Extreme is how I would break it down, and whoever mentioned video...I'm down with that too. As far as stock air cooling being separate, well....if you can put together a $600-1000 rig to post benches you can afford a 60 dollar aftermarket cooler.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to separate equipment ... Even in a non official way ..

How can a desktop machine compete with some one running on a dedicated test bench with lots of fans blowing on every hot spot ..

Maybe Air / Water / extreme

Air cooling is just as legit as LN or DICE , but not every one wants to go extreme , or to that extreme , or kill there hardware in search of records , + its always good to have a starting point . I guess if your F1 class you have little interest in Go Karts , but people need to start some where ..

If your only interested in one extreme , thats fine , but why would you want to discourage any one new from competing against others within a certain cooling class ..

Water cant compete with LN - LH - or DICE , so why would you not be in a water cooled class . ??

I have done DICE [ XP Days ] and whilst its interesting , its not for everyone ..

Do you want to make overclocking a sport ? or just keep it a elitist activity .

I used to run water cooling , but I just dont want to mess around with it any longer , as there is little to be gained .

But every now and again , its just fun to push the machine to see how hard it goes , if I wanted to be serious , id go Intel , buy a pot , and do some LN runs . But I dont , I run a lowly AMD on Air .

I will just say , it would be nice if the classes were by cooling method and separate AMD from Intel , as its really no contest .

My motivation is simply to give people more realistic goals to archive , Air VS Air / Water VS Water / Extreme VS Extreme ..

And if Im stepping on some extremists toes for suggesting this : then good !

• 1 month later...

Split netbook and notebook too oO ...and what else again ?

Nope! Ameture and Pro Leagues are just a good start imho ;)

No ES for the ameture members with few ES samples scores may have to strictly delete them blabla... 2cents and a half !

It's a game mates, not a war at all ...enjoy together.

The plans are there, but in the freezer.

There's just no time to split up. At least not if we want to do it properly (which is what we want)/.

Thanks for the info. I know it'd be a lot of work to set up. I just tend to have more laptop hardware. havn't owned a desktop in abotu 10 years. Need to get on that one...

• 5 weeks later...

the fact that kingpin thought of the rank/sponsored idea doesnt surprise me at all. kingpin is a skateboarder and he's named after the kingpin on a skateboard truck. being a skateboarder myself I can understand the thinking behind his idea. In a skateboard contest you have 3 classes. pro, am, and everyone else. The difference is simple. The pros get checks in the mail from the manufacturers, the ams get freebies but no money is involved, and everyone else has to buy the freebies the pros and and ams sell on ebay so they can pay the rent. I think the way it works is like this:

I wanna see who has the top 32M run with a 655k so I go to 655k in processor box and click 2d and then 32m then I have the option to see everyone in the top 10 or I can narrow the search:

like this...when you look at the leaderboard you will see a symbol next to the members name that indicates whether their class right away without having to run through everyones screen shot to see if they are ES or Retail.

I know es doensnt mean much some retail chips can kill es chips. I think the whole point is it narrow down the guys with unlimited access to es chips and can cherry pick them and bin them down and post an amazing bench. but the guys that have limited money and no hookups are solely dependent on not eating that week and only have 1 or 2 chips to bench and limited boards and rely only on that retail chip and their os tweaking skills, etc.

I'm just trying to come up with something that can even it out a bit. Like the old saying "pick on someone your own size" its sorta similar. You have a very fine line of dudes that are just doing reviews 24/7 and benching their freebies and the guys that have no hookups but are decent benchers and have potential but the marketing dudes dont pay any attention to them because of their hw rank. they guys they see are the same dudes getting the hookups so they dont look elsewhere. but if you mark the guys with the sponsors then it opens it up more for the rest of the guys that are blowing their kids college funds at newegg. The feedback addition is extremely important especially for the newer guys. say you are new to this and you dont know anyone. You dont know what the hell is going on but you just wanna make a good submission. Take this example:

the gigabyte mitx contest. Sam had some submissions he made and dino and some other guys were like wtf SAm? thats rad and all but can you show us a video or something to back it up? and sam took his submission down because he probably didnt want to deal with being called a cheater and jeopardize all the time he spent getting his rank this far.

I saw my friends dino and benchzoner asking him to back it up and he kept making excuses. Then I jump in there and start this post about how he ruined the contest etc. I dont know sam. hes probably a good guy at the end of the day and had the best intentions but I sided with my buddies and just fueled the fire. massman ended up locking the thread and it was never really settled. sam didnt get banned or his 32m run forcibly removed by admins. he just took it down and it made everyone even more suspicious but I can see why he took it down. He would rather not deal with the accusations and drama and it was not a major prize contest so there was not a lot on the line for him but if I knew his reputation as a bencher I wouldve never jumped in like that.

its like OPB. same thing on XS. oh this dude is no good. hes a known cheater.

then the new guys just follow them and say oh hes a cheater and hes crap but they dont even know him or what specific bench he did that was questionable. if you had something next to everyones name that like TRANS AM(-2) and you could click on the (-

) and it will take you the that questionable run then it would put an end to assumption and make people see if its cheating or not and come up with their own opinion based on the submission rather than just random hearsay on a forum. I think everyone deserves that at least. instead of being judged by their screen name. how would you like it if you had a bench or did os tweak and were totally legit but maybe had a history of saying some stupid things that pissed other members off but you were totally legit with the bench. but people were more inclined to judge you by your crazy posts than your actual benchmarks then the day comes when you have a good run but canon hd camera battery was dead or did some crazy tweaks you only knew about and didnt want reveal your secrets that kept you ahead. the next morning you check the forums and You're automatically "a cheater" because you made some smart ass remarks on a forum in the past and you have a really good score. I think you guys are smart enough to get what im saying.

classesleaderboardexampleHW.jpg

the pros will naturally compete with other pros (ES chips against other ES chips) and they have to show their sponsors.

procopy.jpg

The Am's can compete against other Am's and pros with ES chips etc but are unpaid members....

maybe they have a ram hookup through gskill or corsair and get some freebies now and then for reviews. This class might have access to ES chips they either got from someone else or legitimately from the chip companies. they gain 2 bonus points for beating a pro class.

am-1.jpg

* The everyone else category "unsponsored" cannot use ES chips

*only retail cpu can be used but the catch is they can compete with the pros and the ams with es chips and gain 1 x bonus points for beating an Am class submission and 3x bonus points if you beat a pro class submission. *bonus points do not count towards your global rank but are noted in a separate field in your points screen. in a category called "I beat someone in their own front yard"

unsponsoredcopy.jpg

Another thing to add is a reputation dialog next to the members id/name. think of it like Ebay feedback.

if the member has a reputation for cheating or questionable submissions you will see a - next to a numeric value. like TRANS AM (-2) this tells people to pay close attention to the submission because they have submitted questionable scores on 2 occasions.

maybe they didnt have a valid screen or they had an amazing run but didnt have a video or explanation to the submission to back it up. You guys do the rest. I think kingpin was onto something here.

Edited by trans am

You don't really define the pros here, the way it looks is that the "pro" category is just the same as amateur, except that you're getting better scores perhaps - or "too much" sponsorship compared to the amateurs. The ES stuff is also a tiny bit flawed, as I buy ES chips on ebay, and I qualify for both amateur and "everyone else" because of that (buying means I'm not sponsored).

You don't really define the pros here, the way it looks is that the "pro" category is just the same as amateur, except that you're getting better scores perhaps - or "too much" sponsorship compared to the amateurs. The ES stuff is also a tiny bit flawed, as I buy ES chips on ebay, and I qualify for both amateur and "everyone else" because of that (buying means I'm not sponsored).

I know what you mean. I'm not saying this is the end of the story. just want to think of ways to level the field. ES chip automatically puts you in a category. its a double edged sword. Yeah you got the es chip cheap on ebay but then again you are separated from the retail guys and the pros with unlimited es chips. now you are stuck in the middle class. the pro's with the es chips probably sold that chip on ebay because they had 5 other ones like it and that was the worst one. and the retail guys are trying to beat a guy with a mediocre es chip the pros didnt even want. maybe make it simple:

PRO (i have a bunch of chips for free and I can pick and choose the best one and post the best score from the best chip)

UNSPONSORED ( I dont have many chips because I have to pay for them, I want to post a score but I dont want to add too much vcore and kill it because I dont have money for more chips)

BOTTOM FEEDER ( I dont care about anyone but myself and my submission... I buy whatever i can and get as many freebies as I can. I buy mediocre es chips illegally for cheap on ebay because they are ES and my ego makes me think I can clock it higher than the pros could although they sold it on ebay because it sucked and knew someone would buy it because it says ES on it. I also send burned cpus and boards back to manufacturers for new ones driving the prices up for the retail guys and allowing less es chips for the pros.

[PRO] Hey man I killed 5 of the ES gulftowns last month you sent and my last working Rampage III is not posting, can you send me some new ES? I'll give you my fedex acct. for shipping.

[mfgr]"sorry pal, we dont have enough freebies to go around this month because of RMA's from the Bottom Feeder category"

Edited by trans am

whoa I'm no PRO especially in 32m. If I was, I would not have gotten spanked by youngpro by 12 secs at same clocks :P

Just here to have fun.

Off topic, indy's were always to heavy, I have my self swapped to ventures, lighter weight and they are durable.

I'm gonna get vince back on a board one of these events to. Just need to remember to drag my deck along with me.

Edited by chew*

yeah the Ive never snapped an indy. I think a venture and tracker quicktrack back in the day on a ray barbie the 1st one with the ragdoll. sorry about the classes bullcrap. It is what it is. forget about the category crap. I see why vince tossed it out. its just another unresolved debate. I guess we just have fun and try to beat our own scores and land tricks we never landed and just keep pushing each other to thrash harder and harder on the bot. maybe take a few videos of us landing some crazy stuff so massman and the rest believes us the next morning. :) I'm just waiting for the day that "sole technologies" (es/emerica/etnies) puts out a pro-model shoe for Vince that can withstand the abrasion from grip tape but also insulated for Ln2 disasters when you're benching, but the sole is just thin enough to feel the board.

Edited by trans am

that can withstand the abrasion from grip tape but also insulated for Ln2 disasters when you're benching, but the sole is just thin enough to feel the board.

I think even Tony Hawk would struggle to get a company to design for those wear conditions :P