HWBOT Community Forums

[BUGS] Let us know if you experience issues!

Known Possible Issues

1. XTU unable to read out correct MNTR
  2. MNTR is not applied when downloading a profile
  3. When using different applications, XTU cannot read the settings correctly
  4. XTU cannot read out X/Y/Z overclocking setting

1. XTU unable to read out correct MNTR

Because of the technical limitations of XTU described in the technical info thread. What it boils down to is that XTU is reading the MNTR from CPU MSR 194h and not all mainboard vendors are updating that register. Usually, if the register is unused it will be programmed to FF00 and XTU will read the MNTR as 35x. In order to correctly read out the MNTR and therefore support benchmark submissions with non Turbo ratios, mainboard vendors should program the correct MNTR to field 194h.

List of mainboards with correct MNTR read-out support

• Z87A-GD65 Gaming

As a general rule of thumb, it is best to stick to overclocking with Turbo Ratios only for the time being.

2. MNTR is not applied when downloading a profile

Known issue for the current version of XTU (V4.0.29.0 and up). The MNTR was originally not planned as being available for adjustment as it is not realtime adjustable. With the new BCLK Gear Ratio, the MNTR functionality will be more used, however, so having it programmable via profiles will be included in a future release. For now, you can use the MNTR as long as you don't export or import a profile. So, if you save the profile within XTU, the MNTR will be configured. If you download or import a profile, it will not be included.

3. When using different applications, XTU cannot read the settings correctly

first of all, Intel XTU is not designed to replace all your realtime overclocking software applications. It is designed to help new K-SKU users to get into overclocking without too much hassle. Therefore, the XTU profile settings is not based on realtime updated values, but on values configured at boot or adjusted within XTU. If you are using another application to overclock your hardware, those changes will not be present in the XTU profile. If you want to have an accurate XTU profile, you will have to configure your settings within XTU or the BIOS.

This "issue by design" will probably be around as long as vendors implement their own way of addressing voltages and frequencies.

4. XTU cannot read out X/Y/Z overclocking setting

In order to make XTU work with your motherboard, ODM and OEM vendors have to expose the XTU handles in their BIOS. Depending on how much of the BIOS is exposed, you will see all, partial, or no overclocking settings in XTU. This problem can only be resolved by mainboard developers, so if you want XTU support for your mainboard you should contact your mainboard vendor.

Edited by Massman

• 2 weeks later...
Hello!

Do we have to do something special to be able to benchmark with XTU?

I've tried 3 different verson of XTU and no way I get the Benchmarking menu...

The benchmarking menu is available in XTU v4.1.x

Direct download page:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3483&DwnldID=22835&keyword=%22%22extreme+tuning+utility%22%22&lang=eng

Same problem as StrategoSan on a Classified 4Way / Win7 64. XTU installs and starts up, but there is no Benchmark button.

On a Rampage 3 Extreme / Win8 64 it won't even install (might be the OS tho).

I'm on Win8 X64 too. Installed fine here but just no features :/

Same problem as StrategoSan on a Classified 4Way / Win7 64. XTU installs and starts up, but there is no Benchmark button.

On a Rampage 3 Extreme / Win8 64 it won't even install (might be the OS tho).

Same here - 2600K, M4G-Z, Win7x64 HP, daily system. Installation worked but no "Benchmark button".

Seems like the benchmark option is not available on Sandy Bridge. It was originally planned to be available, but must have been cut in the final stages. I will update the guide with this information and add support for 2nd generation Sandy Bridge for the next revision.

PJ did you recheck with Intel whether they will add support for Sandy Bridge in the next revision? A lot of guys on my forums would like to run XTU but the benchmark button is missing like described above.

Did anybody of you experience a very low performance bug? I just installed a fresh Win7 on my Haswell setup and get 580p on 4 GHz whereas I get 630p on my Ivy Setup at 3,0 GHz. Any ideas?

We will continue requesting benchmark support for older platforms to Intel. From my point of view, it makes very little sense to exclude people that want to become part of the XTU community only because they don't have the right hardware.

Try to reinstall the XTU application and/or dotnetfx.