HWBOT Community Forums

The official Pro OC Cup Q3'13 thread.

Massman

If you have any contacts where I can buy those ES cpus... send me a PM ;)

About hardmods there is a second side - the ability of vmods distinguish now ocers, that's my opinion. There are still some guys in top which can't solder a simple trimpot ;) Cause with boards and Lightnings everything is sometimes just too easy. I am not telling that's it's bad. That's my thought though. Let's be honest, how many guys modded heavily 7970 ref card for MOA 2012 or 2013? ;)

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have any contacts where I can buy those ES cpus... send me a PM ;)

About hardmods there is a second side - the ability of vmods distinguish now ocers, that's my opinion. There are still some guys in top which can't solder a simple trimpot ;) Cause with boards and Lightnings everything is sometimes just too easy. I am not telling that's it's bad. That's my thought though. Let's be honest, how many guys modded heavily 7970 ref card for MOA 2012 or 2013? ;)

There's another side to this story - what about unreleased mods that require access to NDA white papers :P They must be banned, too, as they're based on documents not available to the public.

:D

The list of things we must ban is increasing...

Some countries have lower ambient temperatures throughout the year. Let's ban Northern Europe, Northern Russian regions and Northern Canada!
People from rest of world have an unfair advantage of having access to higher ambients, which helps HTT on s939 ... so let's ban them as well, while we're at it!

Haha..what the F.. is wrong with this scene? We have new league which should bring new people in to OC.. how many new persons have joined and are in the game seriously. How much have HWbot visitor amounts raised and how many more facebook posts there are about top overclocking scores.

Yes, you all know the answer. This hobby is so tiny that this kind of league is just a waste of time for overclockers.

This new league might be good thing someday when completely new generation of overclockers have grown in to it. For me this whole thing is just a huge pile of crap and I think this was it.

You know I always listen to your comments Petri and think about them, but here's a question (that also explains why I moved, despite having no vendor support):

"What do any of us have to lose by giving it a chance?" :)

But in some locations it's $0.50/L and in some it's $6.00/L. That's TOTALLY NOT FAIR AND SHOULD BE BANNED!

/sarcasm

It's $10 here... except for those lucky enough to get it elsewhere, like Uni. Great, eh? Everyone envy us for our wages, but it doesnt help when something costs 20 times as much as in the US:D Norway must be the most expensive LN2 country, even if you adjust for the fat oil wallets we have.

When there was PRO League with old rules... it was easy clear, everyone could bench what he liked, when he could/want, it was a "show" of real power, ES, 4-Way setups and so on. No one cared if HW was ES, specially designed in few copies, unavailable and so on. It was okay, because it was only "for ourselves".

PRO Cup is a new form, it's a COMPETITION, where there are supposed to be prizes in future (or maybe even this edition), where vendors were supposed to sponsor teams and this league in theory should bring new blood in this race, cause:

A) sponsoring

B) prizes

I don't see sponsoring and I don't see this new format "working" for new blood, I see the opposite. Maybe we need time, and I want to give it time, but if we are supposed to race, only with some chances. Of course we are all aware that there are ocers who can bin 200-500 cpus for free, and I say "good for them! :)", I am jealous because I would also like to have such option, but it's okay for me cause if they bin retails, there is always a tiny chance that I can buy this one box retail and it can be better than those 500 tested. Luck still is a big part of game. Vmods and software aren't big problem, cause if someone need those, he has to ask a good person only, and someone will share or give contacts to vendors to get those information. The problem is hw like ES samples, which can't be bought officially and in fact even on ebay it's hard to get ES Haswell now. I am only waiting to see some proves that retails can match ES and then I can race even against ES cpus, but I am too afraid of GT A0 situation.

So if PRO CUP is going to be unavailable for old normal users who try to fight top... it's pointless because sooner we will simply decide to go back to XOC. Really, in this shape now, I don't see ANY new blood coming into it. Maybe it's better to restore old PRO LEAGUE, where ES cpus weren't so big problem cause it was more about personal goal and "art", not competition... with restrictions and rules.

I am still waiting to see some screens/movies with those magical 6.5-6.7 GHz retails... :D

Edited by Xtreme Addict

Honestly, PRO OC Cup was not interesting for me and I'm an extreme overclocker.

What about "normal" people that the cup is supposed to attract into overclocking, was it interesting for them? I don't think so.

It's like "watching" a car race (F1, DTM or whatever) on the live-timing only and not the actual race where you see the cars.

And the Pro OC is not even live. the live thing is very hard/impossible to achieve in a long-term competition, so I don't think current way of doing it will change anything.

Well ok, I've checked some of the scores which popped up on the front page, but that's all - there's no difference between this and old scores that were posted from members of Pro OC League.

Allowing/disallowing ES chips in Pro OC Cup - it almost doesn't matter to me, it only matters to those pro overclockers that don't have access to ES hardware.

Both ways Pro OC is out of reach for ordinary overclockers like me and I prefer it this way - pros are pros.

Just hypothetically - even if you ban ES, that won't change the game. I still won't stand a chance against a binned retail out of 600+ cpus. I must have a huge luck to buy such a cpu from the store :P.

Just my 50 cents.

Edited by I.nfraR.ed

Interesting opinions. I get very different responses explaining the ideas behind the pro oc cup face to face. Anyway, let's use a premium example of the Corsair OC event:

oc-event-domination-440x400.jpg

The first three stages was with hardware provided by Intel and Corsair. The other eight was with the hardware you could bring by yourself. Andre/TL had the best CPU - by far - and spammed it through all the available rankings to gain exactly eight times USD $1000. This is the old Pro OC League in a live competition. Was that fun for the competitors? Nope. Was it interesting for any non-ROG fanboys to watch? Nope. Was it great for the organisers? Nope. In the end, it was the same situation where one guy/team spams one setup through a selection of benchmarks and just wins everything. Regardless of the required skill and preparation needed to pull this off - preparation is essential to complete this killing spree - it's just a one-man show.

It doesn't matter how much benchmarks you add for points. In an open and neverending league, it all eventually boils down to making time to run all benchmarks.

It is no surprise the Cup has not been much different from the old league. There has only been one so far. It was also designed to resemble the Pro League to some extend.

I would have moved to the old pro league but now will stay in normal one

Would've, should've, could've.

• Crew

Would've, should've, could've.

haha sorry man im not whining, i like watching this new league. you make a good point, i think everyone wants the old league back because if you find a gem cpu you bulldoze through all the benchmarks and get lots of WR :). and like you said, in the end that becomes boring to watch.

One thing I'd like to add is that the team system and adding Cinebench to the first round actually helped me compete in the league, there's no chance I would've done the same if I had no option but to bench 3770k and the most expensive GPU to be able to produce useful scores. Systems that are a bit "strange" to see in high end competitions could draw fresh blood to this part of the overclocking scene.

Pieter, let's get back to square one.

New league was meant to bring new people in to extreme OC and make it more entertaining. I have been trying to do the same in Finland without success long time. If you would get money prizes and free hardware for contestants, it would probably get some air under wings in some point. But we know that won't happen as it is easier to dominate everything with few HQ persons.

After first round we see, that the situation is exactly the same as in your example from Corsair competition. Few people dominate the competition and now when there is some talk about ES cpu's it is whining. A0 gulftown fiasco made many people angry, so "more than allowed" does not really fit in to the idea of new league. If you continue this way, it is exactly same as before and what is the point on that.

I just feel this conversation does not lead to anything really. There is this really small group of people who dominate oc scene and even smaller group who are deciding how things should go.

I was years in hwbot crew and last year my opinions were as effective as these forum posts. If you all think that I am whining, I am fine with that.

P.S Kenny, yeah I know what you mean. Giving it a chance is what we did in first round. It does not seem to evolve or go in to better direction. It does not solve issues what OC scene have and so on...