HWBOT Community Forums

The official Pro OC Cup Q3'13 thread.

Massman

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am surprised to hear people suggest that F1 is without limits. F1 racing is most certainly very much limited and regulated. There are regulations as to what may and may not be done to a car, a chassis, an engine, the tyres, the total weight of the care and so on. In fact all motor sports are regulated.

Here is a link to the Technical Regulations just to highlight what I mean.

http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/rules_and_regulations/technical_regulations/

Now to take that F1 analogy to the next level when talking about benching and OC'ing one would have to ask why were those regulations brought into play? The answer is two fold. First safety, too fast and people would die. Yes regulators actively try to slow cars down.

The second is economics when you break it down. TV audiences want to see competitive races, they do not want to see a boring procession to the finish line. This was the case a few years ago, numbers started to drop. The revenue generated by the TV rights are what drive the sport onwards, high viewer-ship numbers ensure that value is had by sponsors of the teams. In other words the F1 needed to be competitive to be viable. This they did.

So they change the regulations each season. They add stuff, they limit stuff. The point being F1 is constantly evolving.

OC and Benching needs to be constantly evolving too. So maybe there does need to be discussions about regulating the sport.

Discussions like this are part of the evolution process and very interesting to read. I just wanted to debunk the notion that anything goes in F1. :)

Itttts alive! How are ya big fella?

This new Pro Cup is not interesting to viewers at all IMO. And now there is no ranking as well it seems. You cannot expect casual viewers/overclockers to understand the grand scheme of things but maybe its about targeting the Marketing teams and not the overclockers.

Yes.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i7/Intel-Core%20i7-4770R.html

Introduction date

June 2, 2013 (launch)

June 4, 2013 (announcement)

Interesting! (From Anand:)

Crystalwell is only offered alongside quad-core GT3 Haswell. Unlike previous generations of Intel graphics, high-end socketed desktop parts do not get Crystalwell. Only mobile H-SKUs and desktop (BGA-only) R-SKUs have Crystalwell at this point. Given the potential use as a very large CPU cache, it’s a bit insane that Intel won’t even offer a single K-series SKU with Crystalwell on-board.

Laptop Vs desktop Vs (OEM BGA + locked chip)

Iris Pro is OEM only and.... from what I can see... not available yet.

Edited by K404

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...