HWBOT Community Forums

MOA 2013 Discussion

Vivi

Though I won't challenge you guys this time..

Till it was stated that Titan, Haswell and SB-E will be allowed in semi-finals they must be there.

Would like to see these benchies: SuperPI 32M for Haswell/3DM11 or FS or FSE for GPU/Cinebench 11.5 again (good for globals now, interesting to catch lucky run) or wPrime would be OK for 'another platform (but not Ivy)'.

Motivation: 1. Haswell is a must for promo purposes; 2. Titan is a beast we should see this time and try catch some WRs (GTX 770&780 Lights bye-bye till better times? or WW Final?); 3. SB-E is the thing everyone who competes has already got and it doesn't demand extra money waste and too much time to tweak precisely.

Edited by cyclone

• Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After testing 4 retail cpu's all the same batch and I can say there is some variance, but most of them are crap, and high input voltage / vcore can easily wound/degrade/kill a chip.

ES seems stronger at this time, and definitely more voltage resistant, but then again we haven't seen any Costa cpu's, at least here in the US. Guess time will tell.

• Crew
After testing 4 retail cpu's all the same batch and I can say there is some variance, but most of them are crap, and high input voltage / vcore can easily wound/degrade/kill a chip.

ES seems stronger at this time, and definitely more voltage resistant, but then again we haven't seen any Costa cpu's, at least here in the US. Guess time will tell.

Damn looks like we need some costas in the mix. Will see Monday when I get mine. Comaaaan costa don't let us down!

2.2vcore 2.8vccin ftw

Lol - why not!

For my 50 cents worth....

No Titan

32m on Haswell

3dm01 on Haswell

Firestrike

With current results on Haswell maybe fixed cpu clock limit for 3dm01 and 32m. Means more focus on skills than lottery :)

• Crew
Lol - why not!

For my 50 cents worth....

No Titan

32m on Haswell

3dm01 on Haswell

Firestrike

With current results on Haswell maybe fixed cpu clock limit for 3dm01 and 32m. Means more focus on skills than lottery :)

thanks for the feedback bob! hope to see you there again man

Great effort by Vivi, but no use of it. I will see what rules and test will be there for 2nd stage, and after that make a decision on entering it or not.

The point is that they should give us MB and GPU for 2nd stage, we proved our self in round one, and those we can use also on final as backup like there is always on MSI MOA WW finals. If we killed it than we will not have backup on final if we passed so it is fair.That should be the way of thinking, not what should we buy for stage 2. As I said before we proved our self in round 1, no need to spend more money just to enter another round,,,,

• Crew
Great effort by Vivi, but no use of it. I will see what rules and test will be there for 2nd stage, and after that make a decision on entering it or not.

The point is that they should give us MB and GPU for 2nd stage, we proved our self in round one, and those we can use also on final as backup like there is always on MSI MOA WW finals. If we killed it than we will not have backup on final if we passed so it is fair.That should be the way of thinking, not what should we buy for stage 2. As I said before we proved our self in round 1, no need to spend more money just to enter another round,,,,

now thats a great plan :D!

Okay, the semi-final details were discussed today. This thread was taken into the discussion, as well as feedback from the marketing team (those who pay) and other overclockers. The final announcement is going to come later this week, but here is the digest:

Class A

- Titan allowed (just needs MSI bios ~ aocc rule)

- Haswell (Z87) only

- Retail only, of course

- Same benchmarks as qualifier

Note: Top-3 Regional Non-Winners (for each region) will get a Z87 board to use in the semi-final and there are also three lucky draws. So for AM and APAC, that's places 2-4 and for EMEA places 3-5 who are getting a Z87 board.

Class B

- same hardware (no haswell)

- new benchmarks: 3dmark03, Wprime1024M, Vantage

There will be a new competition background for this competition.

Okay, the semi-final details were discussed today. This thread was taken into the discussion, as well as feedback from the marketing team (those who pay) and other overclockers. The final announcement is going to come later this week, but here is the digest:

Class A

- Haswell (Z87) only

- Retail only, of course

Note: Top-3 Regional Non-Winners (for each region) will get a Z87 board to use in the semi-final and there are also three lucky draws. So for AM and APAC, that's places 2-4 and for EMEA places 3-5 who are getting a Z87 board.

Class B

- same hardware (no haswell)

- new benchmarks: 3dmark03, Wprime1024M, Vantage

There will be a new competition background for this competition.

Nice about 3 boards per region, I thought it will be 3 boards total (one per qualifier region) :)

The idea of Vivi was totally understandable but rules were changed before competition per ocers request, during competition it's not healthy to change rules, so MSI chose the best option in my opinion. Everyone knew rules before taking part into competition ;)

Edited by Xtreme Addict

• Crew

Wooo thanks massman. The use only haswell thing is cool. I like the format.

Xtreme addict. What changed that wasn't there before? I know rules should not be changed but it didnnnt.

Cool thing about haswel is even if its worse than es the playing field will still be even

Wooo thanks massman. The use only haswell thing is cool. I like the format.

Xtreme addict. What changed that wasn't there before? I know rules should not be changed but it didnnnt.

Cool thing about haswel is even if its worse than es the playing field will still be even

I mean that 1st Qualifier round got tickets + 3x board prizes after whining of some guys like me :D

Class A

- Haswell (Z87) only

- Retail only, of course

Pity those who paid much money for pre-selected LGA2011 chips or spent enough time on picking fly away... as well as good old Ivy owners (prolly it makes some sence to allow any of these for non-CPU tests?).

This year's MOA is rly a huge money demand -(

p.s. cool tests for class B though again.. platforms & CPUs should be changed to win

Save poor guys' wallets, prohibit 2600K :P

Edited by cyclone

Pity those who paid much money for pre-selected LGA2011 chips or spent enough time on picking fly away... as well as good old Ivy owners (prolly it makes some sence to allow any of these for non-CPU tests?).

This year's MOA is rly a huge money demand -(

Yeah, bought 2 boards and a few 7970's for the first round and now can't use them in the 2nd.

4770K, Z87 and chopped up modded Titan next...

Haswell has been specified for round two since the beginning. That's how I read it, anyway.
Okay for 2D & 'next-gen HW' promo. But Haswell will suck in FS for sure, especially concerning ES-retail OC issue (so SPi as well I suppose).

Not sure if any of the guys will be fully ready to re-bench FSE on LGA2011 after MOA qualifier (though evryone has got it already) so I think MSI is just loosing the opportunity to hit some WRs in pretty new benchmark and take it up for a while.