HWBOT Community Forums

MOA 2013 Discussion

Vivi

Hold off on buying EPowers for this competition. I received an email earlier today that might mean they are disallowed.

More info today.

IMHO, even though I don't have the proper skill to mod the titan the 'right' way with external power regulator, modding it only with variable resistors to increase volts is even more riskier. I've seen one of my friend's card going 'badum-tss' with only 1.35V @ 1250-1300Mhz-ish core, and I certainly don't wish to own a paperweight worth 1300 USD :D

I think I can see why MSI is doing this, maybe they are afraid that the Epower-module gaining fame(and branding for EVGA) in their very own competition. And the availability of Epower v2.0 is very scarce at best.

But I agree with Michal, how are they going to validate a vmod anyway? They might as well ban the Titan,and hold off the competition to allow the release of 780 Lightning.

Edited by Lucky_n00b

• Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Crew
IMHO, even though I don't have the proper skill to mod the titan the 'right' way with external power regulator, modding it only with variable resistors to increase volts is even more riskier. I've seen one of my friend's card going 'badum-tss' with only 1.35V @ 1250-1300Mhz-ish core, and I certainly don't wish to own a paperweight worth 1300 USD :D

I think I can see why MSI is doing this, maybe they are afraid that the Epower-module gaining fame(and branding for EVGA) in their very own competition. And the availability of Epower v2.0 is very scarce at best.

But I agree with Michal, how are they going to validate a vmod anyway? They might as well ban the Titan,and hold off the competition to allow the release of 780 Lightning.

i think perica still had the best idea, they should send all the competitors currently in the competition hardware.

either send us 780 gaming with the mods and bios's and ABX. or early lightnings. It will be nice release date press

Agree that availability of Epower 2.0 doesn't exist now. From few months we hear only "soon, very soon". There are some updates - cause it's listed on EVGA website now. So it will be available! But it's possible that after MOA competition...

I wrote to MSI few times to create their own epowers. I really don't understand why they didn't do it. They have resources. MSI is bigger company than EVGA, and they would have purpose - they want WRs during MOA, so they could create it. I can understand why GB is making their own "G-powers 2.0" only for Hicookie and Team AU, cause GB VGA department is "different" company, they don't support overclocking, no samples, they don't sponsor HWBOT and so on, even during GB contests all brands of VGA are allowed. But MSI has global MOA and wants/needs WRs.

What is the sense and point of MOA? I think all the time, that such contest is a place for most skilled ocers, for which zombie isn't a big problem. I am not talking about the problem of $ now. Only about idea. I know that OC developed, that from few years we don't mod boards, sometimes even don't mod VGAs with trimpots. But if hardmods like epowers help - ocers should do them, cause it's the definition of extreme oc - to go beyond limits. So the real problems is lack of skills/availability, if MSI would have provided own epowers, it would be the best solution.

I am always against changing rules. Few guys bought Titans to mod them for AOOC/MOA cause from the beginning it was clear that Titan is allowed. What about the guys who have already bought and modded titan? What if they did it with hard way (destroying NCP controller with dremel?) and card without Epower can be thrown away? Maybe zombie 2900XT can be used? But than - what's the difference.

Second question is that - how it will be verified? If someone will simply set limit value? Like 1450 GPU - more is Epower. Or maybe participants will have to bench recording everything to a video file with good resolution?

I understand why MSI is thinking of changing rules - some feedback, also "marketing EVGA brand" okay. They wanted WRs, so they should "forecast" it and prepare some own zombie modules, but not changing rules during the competition.

I am aware that there is no good option now. Hope MSI will find a solution. Now we have dilemma. Changing rules during competition - always bad (I am aware that stage is not launched yet, but Semi Final and hw for it was planned from the beginning). Changing rules for sure will make many ocers happy (ban Epower for those who can't buy it now), but others will be unhappy and they have already spent $ - also bad, even more, cause they spent $. Changing rules to ban Titan - very bad, cause most of guys have Titan now, with epower or without.

The best option would be if MSI could sell/provide to everyone their own epower. I know that there would be still argument that HW is expensive (Titan), but it was known from the beginning so everyone who entered the contest was aware of it.

I hope that MOA will be a success. But this edition is a bit bad. MOA 2012 was very good, everyone agreed. There were some only minor problems like ABX and so on, but those were successfully solved with HWBOT - MSI. This edition, is one big mystery and a lot of whining, but many arguments are valid :(

BTW

I am so happy that I have my ticket for final, cause now starts soap opera :D

Edited by Xtreme Addict

• Crew

some interesting stuff XA. i agree, with alot of it. i think eaaaaaaaaarly on MSI should have said their non-ref 780 must be used for the comp, or something like that. because reference 780 or titan + evga epower doesn't mean alot towards MSI. BUt i agree it showcases the skill of the overclocker to mod cards and use epower. which i don't mind, i already have my evbots, i just cant get ahold of any epowers

I think that MSI overestimated few things, they thought that everyone has Epower, that those who "choose A class" have Epowers, Lightnings 7970 (for 1st stage), Titans. For others with limited budget is "class B". Also the idea of qualifier and semifinal - too much hw needed which has to be handled by one overclocker, not a team this time. And "class B" isn't attractive cause it has too low amount of tickets. I think that now there is no possibility to change it without hurting someone. MSI gained experience to create better rules in future, most reasonable stages and better choice of hardware :)

Edited by Xtreme Addict

This is gonna be a mess

Say titan or 780 allowed without external Voltage regulator is like to say push Your vga till you Kill it.

And change rules again during competition is something absolutly disrespectfull to the competitors, who already spent a bunch of Money for this contest.

4 days to start.....and still dealing about the rules and hardware ??? Came on .....please !!!!

So.... And if external Voltage regulator is not allowed..... How do they check and control it ? They are gonna put a cup to the gpu frequency ?

Regardless I consider 2600K higher than 3570K to MOA benchmarks, and rules may have dual interpretation, they are clear.

2600K should be allowed.

Rbauss why do you even care what happens in B Class, you have all ready secured your self a ticket it makes me wonder why you have such a vested interest in not allowing a 2600/2700K.

Everyone else has/is securing a nice Sandy as it will be the winning setup, not sure why you expect it would be any different.

My team member will be better chance with a 3570K, since he has a good one.

But it don't mean that I disagree with the rules.

"they are clear. 2600K should be allowed"

Pictures, I assume. Awaiting response by email.

I agreed Xtreme Adict about MOA "goal" is to select the best overclockers, and if hardmod is needed, let the overclockers free to do it.

@Pieter!

Ask MSI to provide the wiring diagram for the Zombie Lightning.

Even the photo can not prove that Epower is not used, at least will justify good scores.

to follow your logic, if costa rica haswell hit the shelves mid July, only malay chips can be use during the semis?

The logic is based on the Product Sku, not factory, batch or serial number. The rules are not narrowed down to GPU production date either.

So, to make this clear one more time. The rules are, just like they have always been:

- GTX 780 Reference/Gaming = released = allowed

- GTX Titan = released = allowed

- GTX 780 Lightning = not released = not allowed

GPUZ BIOS must be either MSI or Nvidia.

Waiting for final confirmation on EPower usage.

So what to do now sell Titan to buy another card?

This competition will become a joke, and MSI should be aware of that if they continue to play this way.

No buddy... I see no errors and no need to sell the Titan..since is the most powerful card...and MSI suppose will provide the best scores...

Just find a way to hardmod the card..

Did not want to see this possibility of epower not allowed discussion. I had to talk someone into selling his epower, bought evbot, & made myself a nervous wreck while trying to get it done.

BTW, thank you for posting the guide XA, it came in very handy!

Lol - this gets better and better. Haswell sux ass, benching titans on air - lets have a low score challenge!!!

The only world records I see coming are the number of dead cpus and gpus for bunnyextraction scores....

I can see it now, MSI is going to get so much crap for dead retail Haswell, but for once I don't think it will be the boards that have anything wrong with them, rather the cpu's just fail hard, so fragile and easy to damage.

I don't think we even have to have the Titan death talk lol

No more LN2 runs on Haswell from me except at 4/5Ghz as they don't seem to die there.

Semi Finals will be interesting to say the least:)