HWBOT Community Forums

The Gigabyte Z87/Haswell Overclocking(OC) Guide

sin0822

marketing reasons, with Z77 GBT got into hot water b/c their BCLK was over 100, sometimes even to 101+ by default, so they set 99.8 to be safe so media wouldn't say GBT is auto OCing to gain a few point sin benchmarks(which shouldn't be run anyway on motherboards to judge performance, they should only be run to make sure the board doesn't lack in anything). But some BIOSes will set 100 some will set 99.8 on auto.

Related to SSC setting?

it could be, but most likely not since some BIOSes go to 100 and some don't, but it might be common on Z87 boards, i see it on the M6E as well. But when i asked GBT why they don't set 100.00 they said marketing and for stability, with Z77 they set it high and got called out on it for more than 1 reason.

Hy boys...I received a Z87X-OC today with a 4670K...I set up my bench table with the cpu on stock air cooling, but the mboard won't turn on...The power led is orange but when I push the button anything append...The power cable of my CORSAIT TX750V2 are all ok...There is jumper,switch that I must teach ?

Thanks

Hy boys...I received a Z87X-OC today with a 4670K...I set up my bench table with the cpu on stock air cooling, but the mboard won't turn on...The power led is orange but when I push the button anything append...The power cable of my CORSAIT TX750V2 are all ok...There is jumper,switch that I must teach ?

Thanks

Pretty sure it's power supply incompatibility. Try another PSU, preferably different brand or the 1200i if you have that one.

We had problems with some of the corsair 7-800w PSUs with this board. it could be that, do you have another PSU to try?

Noooo...I have only this Corsair PSU...I try without extra 4 pin Cable and the mboard tourn on...Why? With higher oc this is not good, it's true?

seasonic or ernmax or others. I use a thermaltake 1475W it works fine, AX1200 works fine, some XFX i have also works fine, even a coolermaster 450W i bought as a backup works fine.

Also no you do not need the extra 4-pin VRM power plug, you can push 800W+ through one of those(not in theory but in practice as the UP7 demo did 2KW and they have 2x8pin) even though they are only rated somthing like 400W or 600W i forget.

Sometimes mine will stop working after clearing CMOS a few times (especially if using CBAT). I just have to shut the power supply off and drain the power from the board (by holding power button till the light goes out). Once that has happened, I can use the button with no issues.

It's a known incompatibility problem between Corsair mid-range PSU (750/800/850W) and the OC board.

Thanks for the guide, it help me a lot for stabilising my 4670k @ 4.5ghz (1.265v core, 1.9v VRIN) on my G1.Sniper M5.

The only thing remaining to stabilise is my uncore ratio; over 38x I got error in OCCT...

As for temperature, i reach 82 degres in prime95 with my h100i & notcua NF-F12; not bad!

• Crew

Someone asked me today how I am going with PSC sticks on GIGABYTE Z87X-OC and which bios to use.

Here are some settings I'm doing 1370MHz all air with 8-12-8-28-1T-88 TRRSR4 and TWCL6. This is with F5q for example. Most of them should be similar, i tested F5m and it was similar

my Pi OS is a lot faster but also makes it fail after half way point as it's on the edge with that OS....it was in the mid 7m20s

Anyway here are some detailed settings to work off. Some sticks won't like some of the timings like TRRSR4 or TWCL6. There are a fair few others to tighten or loosen but anyway try to build it up.

jmao.jpg

Guest Bullant

Hey guys a few things you could try that mite help,have you tried booting in @2600Mhz+at lower Dram V and can try stock imc,IOA,IOD and stock vccin volts to start with ,also something that has helped me is set advanced voltage setting-advanced power settings -all them in there on auto and try again to see if this helps you boot in @2600mhz+

Edited by Bullant

Leeghoofd, which BIOS are you on? With F5s, I was able to get to 2600 with my BBSE for the first time. I wasn't able to get this on Z77 (in fact, I couldn't even boot at 2450 on Z77).

I loaded XMP (2000 9-9-9 kit) and then went through all of the timings and raised them a few steps.

However, as of F5s, you can't set tWR or it won't boot. That's the only one, though. Dino said they're aware of it. I'm not sure if it is fixed in F5v or not.

• Crew

F5S bassplayer. Well you story is the same as I have on the ASROCK/ASUS board, took me 5 mins to get it dialed in at 2600... similar approach on the GB and it doesn't even post,. LED 15 and then shuts down. Tried for hour snow ot get it working properly at 2600MHz, seems I'm missing something vital for PSC.

Weird for me is I can boot straight at 2400 7-11-7 rock stable, then loosen to 8-12-8 and adjust some subs and it doesn't post. Use same settings drop back back to 2400 divider, no more post... till I reset and load the profile...

Edited by Leeghoofd

F5S bassplayer. Well you story is the same as I have on the ASROCK/ASUS board, took me 5 mins to get it dialed in at 2600... similar approach on the GB and it doesn't even post,. LED 15 and then shuts down. Tried for hour snow ot get it working properly at 2600MHz, seems I'm missing something vital for PSC.

Weird for me is I can boot straight at 2400 7-11-7 rock stable, then loosen to 8-12-8 and adjust some subs and it doesn't post. Use same settings drop back back to 2400 divider, no more post... till I reset and load the profile...

First try BIOS F5q instead of F5s(F5s changes some traning procedures, you might want to try when it hangs at 15, to shut the system down and start it back up and see if it boots), you might also want to mess with the RTLs

did you try Dino's steps for PSC, i remember they were somewhere, i need to find them.

Try his timings:

1009432_545046195533326_1970107905_o.jpg

in the future also setting XMP will yield XMP timings even if you change the multiplier. If you are going to set the 3rd timnigs like him, then try to set them 1 higher than what Dinos set. Also tWRPDEN = tWR+tWL+4 so it affects the tWR setting in these BIOSes, you can try messing with it and leave tWR setting on auto,. They are going to fix this soon oo.

Also you might need this for the older BIOSes:

b7gd.png

Edited by sin0822