HWBOT Community Forums

Super Pi mod 1.5 XS on very old machines

WoOx3r[Pt]

• Crew

Yes, it's informative because a very simple reason - the 486 especially Intel's did have the CPUID feature but they showed the registers values only on reset - that's why BIOS can figure out the CPU but software is not so precise.

Very smart decision.

I hope the popularity of this family will increase. :)

P.S. can you tell, whether CPU-Z is able to recognize any of your 486? I see you have ones from Intel, AMD and Cyrix. If yes, a picture of CPU-Z would be nice ;)

Edited by Antinomy

Yes, it's informative because a very simple reason - the 486 especially Intel's did have the CPUID feature but they showed the registers values only on reset - that's why BIOS can figure out the CPU but software is not so precise.

Very smart decision.

I hope the popularity of this family will increase. :)

P.S. can you tell, whether CPU-Z is able to recognize any of your 486? I see you have ones from Intel, AMD and Cyrix. If yes, a picture of CPU-Z would be nice ;)

CPU-Z recognition of the original Pentium CPU (the 800nm, 5V CPU) needs to be improved;

It shows up as a 500nm CPU and there is no indication of which frequency the CPU was made for whereas /proc/cpuinfo in Linux shows the correct value.

• Crew

till now i was never able to get cpu-z running in win 95/win nt 4.0 :(

the newer cpu-z version doesn't seem to support older OSes than win 98.

i hope i can find a cpu-z version which runs on those old OSes.

officially cpu-z only supports cpus from the pentium 1 onwards.

I don't see any problems in your submission. You mean it doesn't show the default frequency? Well, Linux isn't able too - it can make you think it does :D

Take a socket 7, change the multi and Linux will get confused too.

Yes, in Linux the stock frequency (60MHz) as well as the current (overclocked: 66Mhz) frequency was shown, I was a little surprised when I first saw that.And since you seemed to be looking for input on how CPU-Z behaved on older hardware I figured I mention it.

You mean that Linux performs some kind of trick to figure out that OCed my CPU? ;-)

One more thing: Yesterday evening I uploaded that text-output you wanted: I only edited my last message on the competion-thread so I didn't show up as new message, so you might have missed it.

http://hwbot.org/forum/showpost.php?p=63451&postcount=51

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
i don't think this will be possible without modifing super pi.exe itself which is not allowed of course.

the "original" super pi (without the decimal digits) can be used, but you always have to enter your result with xx.999 seconds.

so if you get, for example, 25 seconds on a run with the orignal super pi you have to enter 25.999 when submitting the result, because you can't tell if your result is 25 seconds flat or 25.999. ;)

So is this still the case? Ive been trying different versions of superpi_mod and they all crash in one form or another. If I submit the time as .999 with screenshots of cpu verification then the time will still be accepted for rankings?

• 5 years later...