HWBOT Community Forums

Just got my ODROID-U2 with Exynos4412 SoC (Cortex-A9)

Came in the mail today, from South Korea. Had to pay TWD $200 tax, though .... but that's a lot less than what I would pay in Belgium if there's tax at customs :D

SPECIFICATIONS

• Low-cost development platform
  • Ultra compact size with full metal enclosure
  • Quad core ARM Cortex-A9 MPCore
  • Samsung Exynos4412 Prime Cortex-A9 Quad Core 1.7Ghz with 1MB L2 cache
  • 2048MB(2GB) LP-DDR2 880 Mega data rate
  • Mali-400 Quad Core 440MHz
  • 10/100Mbps Ethernet with RJ-45 LAN Jack
  • 2 x High speed USB2.0 Host port
  • Audio codec with headphone jack on board
  • Android 4.x & Ubuntu 12.10
  • Community-driven projects & supports

201304151401416334.jpg

The specs are pretty much those of a Galaxy S3 with higher core clock. Or the one of a Note II with lower GPU clock. It's a quad core, so it should be quite a bit faster than the Raspberry Pi. I'll be running HWBOT Prime and the OpenArena benchmark to see how it performs. Not sure if it can be overclocked :)

Some pictures:

IMG_0606.jpg

IMG_0611.jpg

IMG_0612.jpg

IMG_0615.jpg

HDMI -> DVI isn't supported, so I took my work home today. The eMMC sdcard I ordered together with the ODROID comes with Android 4.0.4 default installed. It's pretty much plug-and-play, actually. Looks like the least mobile Android device ever :D

Let's try 3DMark for Android on this one ...

1016402_10151559839669249_474895865_n.jpg

1098459_10151559839754249_762739295_n.jpg

Will you be running it on Ubuntu or Android ? Maybe the first one (Xubuntu) is slightly better for Java operations...

HWBOT Prime can be ran in console mode, so no user interface at all would probably be the fastest.

@PJ: is all hardware properly supported in ubuntu out of the box?

^this :D

If you use Android, this might be useful. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2192893 Seems like an access to the kernel, which allows overclocking as well as other stuff.

As far as I know, the main issue is that the the Kernel has to provide overclocking for your specific SoC. In this case, the Exynos 4412. There are kernels out there which have predefined settings upto 2000MHz, but we are far from the more ideal situation like on RPi where it's only a matter of adjusting the boot config file.

The way I see it, currently most ARM devices are in a phase where x86 was maybe 15 years ago. The BIOS we have today for architecture like Haswell, are graphical interfaces to control specific MSR. Most of the work for overclocking has been done by Intel and mainboard vendors - the interface we have is super-super-simple. For ARM, we are currently looking at the datasheets containing registers and equations. The information can be put in the kernel and that leaves a little room for tweaking, but what we are basically still doing is recompile and flash new "bioses" (if you compare to x86). The Raspberry Pi is somewhat closer to the BIOS interface as we know it - you can adjust the settings in one file - but it's still very basic.

What we have to do for this device to overclocking it past the "known" limitations is quite similar to using the PLL diagnosis in SetFSB or using RWutility to read registers. Only, well ... the changes are not realtime.

518x544px-LL-4d686c05_originalb.jpeg

My first overclock. Flashed a new kernel and now running 2000 on ARM, and 800 on Mali GPU. Going up from 2700 to slightly over 4000. The CPU isn't too stable though, 3dmark would crash at physics test once in a while.

Screenshot_2013-08-12-16-26-05.png

Screenshot_2013-08-13-02-16-35.png

Edited by Massman

@Massman: Well, if all we've got is configuration files (RPi) and registry tweaks (others), all we can do is, as you said, find some PLL-looking overclocking. But apart from that, we're far from settings like load-line calibration and case latency. I think we'll have to wait for the industry to provide some tools or products that are more OC-friendly.

Edited by Dreadlockyx

Personal achievement today.

Scored 4160 with CyanogenMod 10.1.2 rom. Modified and re-compiled the kernel myself to get a Mali GPU overclock of 800MHz :D :D :D.

Nothing too impressive, to be honest, but this is the first time I managed to compile the kernel. I have no prior knowledge of Linux whatsoever, so it's an achievement for me :D. I have a vague idea how to code the CPU overclock >2GHz ... trying that later this week!