HWBOT Community Forums

The official GIGABYTE "Pi Is Returned" Contest thread.

I.nfraR.ed

I often wondered if there shouldn't be point separation between cooling methods, but in the end it would be difficult to properly police it. So rules wide open, run what ya brung! Do the best you can.

No way to police it other than videoing the runs, and that's a major PITA.

Not sure where I need to post this.

I had problems with Gigabyte FA85X-UP4 - updated the main bios, restarted and tried to change some settings.

Saved and restarted, then it was stuck at 84 code. Apparently, the main bios got corrupted (I guess during the flash process and trying to change some settings and save them triggered the bad block).

Board was trying to load from backup bios, but what I got was just a blueish gradient screen with a gigabyte text. It seems the board didn't detect main bios is corrupted and that's why it didn't rewrite it with the backup bios.

I tried different ram and cpu and what not, but didn't go further than that. Shortcut keys didn't work.

So then I searched for the datasheet of the bios chips - MX25L6406E. According to the datasheet pin #7 is HOLD and pin #4 is GND, so I took one paperclip, shorted the pins and turned on the board. It booted and I released the short. Luckily it detected the main bios is corrupted and reflashed it with the backup.

EjoCKUG.jpg

It might be useful for other people. This method should work for most of dual-bios Gigabyte boards.

Edited by I.nfraR.ed
  • Thanks 1

Can I ask somebody with UP4 check what post code is displayed on the debug led when no cpu installed?

Something failed last week and I thought it's the board, because then I tried with 5800K and it was switching off immediately (I think the PSU protection kicks off).

So I bought another UP4, but when I start the board only 2 segments on the debug display flash for a blink of an eye and it turns off (the led). Board stays on, but does not post. It's the same with both cpus and without a cpu installed.

I though if both cpus are dead it should display 00, no?

It would be pity if the faulty board killed the other cpu too when I tried it :(

I'm scared to try the dead board again, so I will just throw it, don't want to risk the PSU too.

Can I ask somebody with UP4 check what post code is displayed on the debug led when no cpu installed?

Something failed last week and I thought it's the board, because then I tried with 5800K and it was switching off immediately (I think the PSU protection kicks off).

So I bought another UP4, but when I start the board only 2 segments on the debug display flash for a blink of an eye and it turns off (the led). Board stays on, but does not post. It's the same with both cpus and without a cpu installed.

I though if both cpus are dead it should display 00, no?

It would be pity if the faulty board killed the other cpu too when I tried it :(

I'm scared to try the dead board again, so I will just throw it, don't want to risk the PSU too.

When the CPU dies it usually shorts (either VDDCR or VDDNB).

Unless the VRM CC protections acts fast enough usually the VRM burns too.

In case of a UP4, the VRM CC protection is fast and usually saves the board.

If you put a broken APU in the socket and try to start it, the Port 80 segment display flashes briefly and then turns black. Depending on how the APU is damaged, the board turns off immediately or continues running (segment still blank).

The most common reasons for a APU to burn is a voltage spike (e.g a large voltage swing from low to high voltage) or simply too high voltage. This is the reason you want to have a smallest possible delta between the cool down (Slowmode) an the running voltage. It will hurt you temperatures, but it will save your APU.

In case the VRM fails it usually kills the CPU in about 90% of cases too.

And a broken APU can definitely kill a working board too.

To check if the CPU core part of the APU (FM2 or FM2r2) is fine:

Measure the resistance between the two pins (VDDCR & VSS).

Anything under 25 ohms means the APU is burned.

u7oy.jpg