HWBOT Community Forums

Divide Submission Page By Required/Optional

The most common challenge I see for new members is filling out the new submission form.

It is overwhelming, there are dozens of fields that can be filled in and its not painfully clear which ones are optional and which are required.

In reality, there are only a few required fields.

Submitting would be more accessible to new people if they were presented with the required fields in its own section at the top of the new submission page, and then optional fields were below in their own section.

Ya, people may be less likely to fill in all the fields... That is a downside. I often fill in more than I need to, to help myself later so I remember what I did and how.

It also may not be ideal to sort of trick people into filling it all out. Maybe achievements or other motivators can be used to encourage filling in as much detail as possible, and bring more attention to why supplying the data is useful.

I dunno. Would be cool if there are other ways to get that data. I think the pre-populate fields logic was a major step forward. Making new submissions easier for newbs probably isn't that big of a deal, but could be a good thing if it gets more people hooked.

I only fill out what is pertinent to the bench. For cpu-z subs, I only do cpu, mb, and cooling. For a pi 32m sub, I'd do cpu, memory, mb and cooling. Only for a 3d bench would I fill out the card, along with the previously mentioned stuff.

I think an asterisk besides "mandatory" fields and highlighted in red would suffice.

10% more points if you fill in ram speed/timings and motherboard :D

This idea is perfect :D

I only fill out what is pertinent to the bench. For cpu-z subs, I only do cpu, mb, and cooling. For a pi 32m sub, I'd do cpu, memory, mb and cooling. Only for a 3d bench would I fill out the card, along with the previously mentioned stuff.

I think an asterisk besides "mandatory" fields and highlighted in red would suffice.

Do you include any of the extra stuff, like Batch, CB, etc?

The pre-populate idea, in reality, is only as good as it is functioning.

The idea I had for the OP is/was something along the lines of a "simple" and an "advanced" submission page. Simple has all the essential bits, obviously.

I'd rather see the pre-populate problems fixed first.

Edited by K404