HWBOT Community Forums

The official HWBOT Country Cup 2013 thread.

Massman

We were benching last 2 or 3 consecutive nights without getting any sleep (work during the day) and when the stages were finally over, I went to bed in the evening and woke up at 6 next morning...12+ hours of sleep :)

I was hoping we can get that APU stage, but Indonesia managed to beat 3 of our scores. We could do better, but the asrock board died just 15 minutes after the start with the first APU to bench (6400K). It was really a gem with the best IMC from all our APUs (1400+) and really strong GPU (1400MHz 1.35V on water). 1800MHz should have been possible on LN2. Next day we got the Asus board, but there was not enough time to rebench it, if it's still alive. Other scores could have been better too, but we were limited in time and resources.

For Aquamark stage we didn't have a good Bulldozer and Gigabyte boards were throttling with really high clocks, so I'm happy we managed to get the 3rd place.

For 3DMark we simply didn't have enough time and suitable hardware. I tried to get some good score with the HD3850 on LN2, but something went wrong, so I had to post the single score on air produced 30 minutes before that. Not sure, but maybe the only team that managed to clock the memory on these stupid PCI 610 cards :P

GunGod managed to get the Llano Catzilla score literally 10 minutes before the end. Additional 300-400 points were possible there as well.

Thanks to my teammates for the hard work, now need to concentrate on the other stages :D

Edited by I.nfraR.ed

Throttling or AM3 scoring inconsistently

I can tell you in my testing with 990FXA-UD7 these was no throttling as I checked with 3d11 window mode as my runs were sometimes wildly fluctuating in scores in AM3. During that process i also discovered that the UD3 had a bios issue with turbo cores not running at max speed so I benched without them and could get the same efficiency in high scores, separate issue I guess

Edited by dinos22

990FX-UD3 rev.3 had some problem with "high"(1.2V+) volts on the CPU-NB - it was simply shutting down. And yes, it was throttling at high load, I checked with Cinebench. 970A-UD3 rev.1 has enormous vdroop and 990FXA-UD3 rev.4 (the prize from the Giga comp) is horrible, but haven't played enough with it to tell what exactly is wrong. Bios seems worse than the one on UD3. I wrote Gigabyte, but no response. I've only tested it on water, but what the old Crosshair IV Formula can do, the Gigabyte board can't even touch. I suspect it's the bios, because there's no more overheating, the cooling is improved versus v.3 and I guess VRMs are different. It might be me doing something wrong, but there was not enough time for pretest.

In the end the little 970A-UD3 was the best choice from all 3, but due to the big vdroop (0.07V) and not so good FX-8120, the scores are mediocre. Also the CPU-NB frequency is tied to the HTT frequency for whatever reason (can't be higher), but it might just be the latest beta bios, have to check again F7. 990FXA-UD3 rev.3 was able to pull 200 to 300MHz more in multithread with 1090T in the past, but it seems damaged now.

We were benching last 2 or 3 consecutive nights without getting any sleep (work during the day) and when the stages were finally over, I went to bed in the evening and woke up at 6 next morning...12+ hours of sleep :)

I was hoping we can get that APU stage, but Indonesia managed to beat 3 of our scores. We could do better, but the asrock board died just 15 minutes after the start with the first APU to bench (6400K). It was really a gem with the best IMC from all our APUs (1400+) and really strong GPU (1400MHz 1.35V on water). 1800MHz should have been possible on LN2. Next day we got the Asus board, but there was not enough time to rebench it, if it's still alive. Other scores could have been better too, but we were limited in time and resources.

For Aquamark stage we didn't have a good Bulldozer and Gigabyte boards were throttling with really high clocks, so I'm happy we managed to get the 3rd place.

For 3DMark we simply didn't have enough time and suitable hardware. I tried to get some good score with the HD3850 on LN2, but something went wrong, so I had to post the single score on air produced 30 minutes before that. Not sure, but maybe the only team that managed to clock the memory on these stupid PCI 610 cards :P

GunGod managed to get the Llano Catzilla score literally 10 minutes before the end. Additional 300-400 points were possible there as well.

Thanks to my teammates for the hard work, now need to concentrate on the other stages :D

Crazy work you've done bro! That 5400K + 6400K APU clock is awesome. Had you been able to squeeze more on the top end setup (Llano, Trinity and Richland), you guys would've won the stage.

Respect man ;)

I took a rev4 to bench first and the damn thing died on me starting the bench at 7.4ghz 1.67vcore with 9590. Switched to UD7 all sweet. I would probably stick to UD7 for ln2 benching. Never let me down and has a strong pwm

I totally forgot how nice it is to bench with old award bios. Miss it so.much!!! Fast and no dicking around

I took a rev4 to bench first and the damn thing died on me starting the bench at 7.4ghz 1.67vcore with 9590. Switched to UD7 all sweet. I would probably stick to UD7 for ln2 benching. Never let me down and has a strong pwm

I totally forgot how nice it is to bench with old award bios. Miss it so.much!!! Fast and no dicking around

Must be the same board I've been using every time I bench AMD :D

UD7 is a solid board. It has some quirks and obvious limits, but once you figure out how to work around the small issues, it's sooooooo reliable. Take the engineer who worked on that, and promote the crap out of him :D