HWBOT Community Forums

thermal compound problem with 4930k @ ln2

Guest barbonenet

Guest barbonenet

hi guys, i have more problem with Thermal compound with 4930k!

i use noctua nt h1, and the cpu at -130° detaches (crack)the Thermal compound(with cpu in idle)!

i have already lapped the cpu without any benefit, i try another pot too:(

i use noctua with haswell and ivybridge without any problem!

any suggestions guys? thanks

Edited by barbonenet

Guest barbonenet
In my testing noctua is not good for LN2 - I had much worse maximum clock on 3770K @ full pot compared to Ceramique 2 and Gelid.

And I've tried 2-3 remounts. It is good for SS, but not LN2.

I don't know, it could be just me, but that's what I've experienced.

ceramique 2 is good??? i bench every day and gelid is too expensive!!!

• Crew
ceramique 2 is good??? i bench every day and gelid is too expensive!!!

I know some people will disagree, but imho Ceramique 2 is good enough for LN2 use, though I'd recommend Gelid if you're after the last few MHz.

Edited by Don_Dan
I was confused.

Roman (der8auer) didn't like it in his review and according to the charts it is not good, but in my experience it is good (talking about Ceramique 2, not 1).

Don't see much difference between Ceramique2 and Gelid, while the first one is so much cheaper for the big syringe.

Btw, I spread it on a warmed up pot (with a heatgun) prior to mounting, then after mounting the pot, I run the system on empty pot until the cpu heats up too. I get a perfect mount every time.

PS: I change it every time, too. Wipe old paste, clean cpu and pot with isopropyl alcohol, then reapply paste.

Edited by I.nfraR.ed

Guest barbonenet

yes i reapply Thermal comp. every time! I do not like to keep pot over motherboard....the screw make a lot of pressure on it!

edit: i only put noctua on ihs, after i put over the pot and ln2! on ivy at -196 no problem.....

i try to change noctua....

Edited by barbonenet

Guest barbonenet
Roman (der8auer) didn't like it in his review and according to the charts it is not good, but in my experience it is good (talking about Ceramique 2, not 1).

Don't see much difference between Ceramique2 and Gelid, while the first one is so much cheaper for the big syringe.

Btw, I spread it on a warmed up pot (with a heatgun) prior to mounting, then after mounting the pot, I run the system on empty pot until the cpu heats up too. I get a perfect mount every time.

PS: I change it every time, too. Wipe old paste, clean cpu and pot with isopropyl alcohol, then reapply paste.

ok i already order 25g of ceramique2......i hope it's good for me;)

I either use Prolimatech PK-3 or Gelid Extreme. GC-Extreme is a little bit better for full pot but also more expensive.

The best solution for you would be to change to the GC-Extreme. I know it's expensive but wasting your time trying different pastes without success and wasting LN2 could probably be more expensive in the end.

Guest barbonenet

update: today arrive ceramique2! first test, test crack! after slack screw of socket....ceramique2 work fine, but the performance is a little bit looser compared noctua! with noctua cb at -170, with ceramique cb at -180!

• Crew
update: today arrive ceramique2! first test, test crack! after slack screw of socket....ceramique2 work fine, but the performance is a little bit looser compared noctua! with noctua cb at -170, with ceramique cb at -180!

you obviously have a very warm cpu,

but like roman said, you are wasting LN2 and time instead of using what works :P

• 3 weeks later...
Guest barbonenet
i think your cpu is like a nuclear reactor bro, its too hot! unlucky sample :P

eheh, but if thermal resist, cpu can do 6,05ghz at vantage and cinebench......

Guest barbonenet
how thick do you apply ? Never had Gelid cracking before...

I put only 2 grains of rice to the center....Yesterday i try it and it work fine......but if i try Tomorrow, I already know that will not work!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest barbonenet

hhi guys!! today i try again 4930k......i use gelid, mx4, mx2, ceramique2.....but cracks cracks craks!!!!!!

i have allready lapped cpu....and today i look my f1 extreme and i see this:

i9562_tolottostorto.jpg