HWBOT Community Forums

The official G.SKILL OC World Cup 2014 Qualifier thread.

Massman

• Administrators

How about single sided CFR? The G.Skill samples are usually not bad if you know what to buy and at HOT contest, the Kingston samples using these did better than most MFR...

P.S. plus these are much cheaper and won´t empty your wallet :P:D

Guest Bullant

Thanks for the offer der8auer will see how I go locally first

How about single sided CFR? The G.Skill samples are usually not bad if you know what to buy and at HOT contest, the Kingston samples using these did better than most MFR...

P.S. plus these are much cheaper and won´t empty your wallet :P:D

This sounds good just need to be sure on what I'm buying I guess

You need 1000e mem stick

You need Golden Haswell ( already buy 44piece, no good cpu -> xxxxx euros)

You need 780Ti (600-700e)

If you succes, and be in top6 ->

You need to buy flying ticket 2000e

You need to paid for Hotel (dunno price in taipei)

Really ????

Best for the end...

"People who qualifiy for the live event must bring their own hardware to the event. Hardware includes G.SKILL memory, CPU, Motherboard and VGA, torch, LN2 container, thermos."

it seems that these rules have been made ​​to prevent "normal" people to win ...

Good luck to cpu mafia.

No flight and hotel is actually not a big problem as a lot of overclockers will be at computex anyway.

However taking all the hardware with you is a big problem. Firstly because you are limited by 20-25kg weight depending on the airline. Secondly because the guys with the biggest wallets will win if you don't do stickt limitations or fixed clock competitions. Even if I would qualify I would never have a chance against the sick CPUs from ViVi or John Lam.

Another strange thing is that the winner will get 10 000 USD and the runner up some memory which is not even worth the flight ticket. Not really well balanced :/

Regarding the rule

The participants can not be an employee or family member of computer hardware manufacturers

Only manufacturers or also people who work at e.g. a computer store?

Edited by der8auer

Hopefully we can watch the spectacle Live Roman...

Second thought I honestly think your 4670K CPU has a chance man... my 6100 one absolutely not :P so tired of Haswell

No 780Ti here unfortunately and so far no MFR either :D 32m will be alright I guess. I will try at least :)

Gun has no good retail hasfail, Splave has dead retail hasfail (2 cores only) which did 6.6 GHz? The same Loud, also dead one (2 cores too?) and if I remember correctly his was 6.5 GHz

No match for 8 Pack's or John Lam's cpu(s)

6.65 and my sticks maybe enough :P

lol its all good, can only try right? I think this will be popular to the Japanese and Chinese benchers.

Only need to be top 6 anything can happen live, even michal can beat me in 32m live!! haha

My only gripe, I dont want to see peoples high binned MFR that are judges or ineligible given to teammates :P no way to track this really so it is what it is.

Other than that, thanks GSKILL for having a contest!! :D Going to be a great fight!

My personal opinion: I agree with earlier comments. This so called open qualifier is essentially a way to immediately separate the guys that have already been selected and predicted.

Those that can go:

a. Have Access to fast amounts of money and or huge crates full of hardware that they can try (who picks up the bill?).

b. Have sponsors behind them (are they than not viewed as working for a manufacturer.....?. What about the people that go there professionally (as said before) are they not viewed as working for a manufacturer even in related areas? . While their companies pay the bills.

c. People that have easy access to extreme cooling material

d. As predicted in earlier comments the winners are already easily to pinpoint.

e. Have enough money to travel to (for me) the other side of the world.

F. It is stated that the area is at small walking distance? Personally I am disabled I can't walk very far.

All in all even though I like events like this, I feel that this is not really an open and fair contest. Why not give people that use normal 24/7 use-able Pc's and only on th free market available air and water cooling. That way at least a lot more people can enter and have a chance to win. On top of that, making it really a truly exciting event because nobody could than predict the winners.

Famous quote by:Mark McKinnon:The initial attraction of a political convention=open contest, was that often the outcome was not preordained. There was at least some element of surprise. But, now it's like tuning in to a movie where you already know the plot and the ending. It's just not that interesting..

Edited by henkenator68NL