HWBOT Community Forums

Water/liquid cooling for AM2+, any good brand for 4GHz++. Please suggest.

xanlord

Also, when i say kit i mean chipset too, not just for CPU. Googled for info on what LCS is good for this mobo & this CPU & didn't found any exact info on that so :

Mobo/chipset : M3N-HT Deluxe/HDMI, nForce 780a SLI;

CPU : Phenom II X4 940BE. (gonna buy it in late summer, possibly end of it)

Going to try to cool both CPU & chipset for 4GHz overclock, possibly 4.5/4.7GHz max. Also have to know whether i should dump the idea of overclocking with this chipset & buy new 790FX mobo alltogether, detach the northbridge radiator & install new cooling on it or anything else along those lines. In any way waiting for suggestions, thanx nevertheless.

P.S. If for some reason any of you will suggest purchasing LN2 or something along those lines, have to warn you from a start - i live in Israel & taxes here very high, so it's a no go for me !!!! This year it will rob me to the bone, you can bet on that. lol LCS/water cooling on the other hand is the better alternative for this. Thanx to anyone who'll give good brands & infos on what should be purchased. Take care, all.

I live in Canada man, you're taxes are nothing ;) I paid 42% of my earnings in 08, plus 13% on pretty much everything I buy :(

/ mini tax rape rant lol.

Feser make great rads, either a 2x120 or a 3x120 would do for cpu+chipset, the 3x would leave you room to expand. Expanding is good :)

Swiftech GTZ cpu block is nice, I use it on my i7at up to 4.57ghz 1.58v so it could definitely handle a 940. All depends on your ambient temperature.

Pumps, I use the Swiftech MCP655; super reliable and plenty of head.

Chipset block, just the Swiftech MCW30 would work great. Cheap and effective.

And no, I'm not a swiftech fanboy lol, they are proven and priced right!

Do i see some Tool fans among overclockers ? (i reffer to Reverend, aka Maynard J. Keenan, or something along those lines.) I bet your fav 2 albums are "Opiate" & "Undertow". :) Mine too. And hello jmke, again.

Back to topic : if both of you say taxes in Canada way higher than in Israel, than there's nothing left for me but to beleive you. Though i never was there yet. And about Swiftech & other brands you talked, Swiftech is the only one i realy know & heard of the most, so far. Thanx.

2jmke :

About ice-cubes in reservoir : is this a joke or for real ? lol Hope it's for fun's sake. Though if you serious..... :)

Hope Swiftech is good for 1.5GHz overclock of this 940. (3.0 -> 4.5GHz, that is) And now that i recall, i heard something about that Danger Dan stuff, though not remember when or where. Thanx nevertheless. Keep suggesting & keep headbanging. (ReverendMaynard, the last one goes for you :))

Edited by xanlord

Swiftech/Danger Dan and many other high end brands will give you excellent performance; and if you add ice cubes in your reservoir you can even go for some nice OC sessions:)

regarding taxes: Canada has it easy ;)

Man I just did my taxes this weekend and I'm still feeling a bit sore in and around the bum area lol. Danger Den are great but I haven't seen much new stuff from them lately. Fittings wise, I'm hooked on Bitspower....beautiful craftsmanship.

Cubes in the res are sweet but submersing the res in a cooler full of salt, ice and water is awesome :)

Do i see some Tool fans among overclockers ? (i reffer to Reverend, aka Maynard J. Keenan, or something along those lines.) I bet your fav 2 albums are "Opiate" & "Undertow". :) Mine too. And hello jmke, again.

Back to topic : if both of you say taxes in Canada way higher than in Israel, than there's nothing left for me but to beleive you. Though i never was there yet. And about Swiftech & other brands you talked, Swiftech is the only one i realy know & heard of the most, so far. Thanx.

2jmke :

About ice-cubes in reservoir : is this a joke or for real ? lol Hope it's for fun's sake. Though if you serious..... :)

Hope Swiftech is good for 1.5GHz overclock of this 940. (3.0 -> 4.5GHz, that is) And now that i recall, i heard something about that Danger Dan stuff, though not remember when or where. Thanx nevertheless. Keep suggesting & keep headbanging. (ReverendMaynard, the last one goes for you :))

Yep massive TOOL fan. Doesn't get much better for hard rock these days. I love all of the albums, but Aenima and Undertow take it for me :)

The tax thing was a micro rant lol; like I said above I'm fresh off of getting raped so I'm still sensitive lol.

jmke is not joking about the ice cubes; very effective and cheap but you have to prep for condensation if you're working with a low dew point. My beer cooler suggestion is about as good as water gets on the cheap :)

Yep massive TOOL fan. Doesn't get much better for hard rock these days. I love all of the albums, but Aenima and Undertow take it for me :)

jmke is not joking about the ice cubes; very effective and cheap but you have to prep for condensation if you're working with a low dew point. My beer cooler suggestion is about as good as water gets on the cheap :)

Massive TOOL fan, eh ? Aenima, Undertow ? Man, i need to start all over again.... I have "Undertow" only !!! FFS, i loved "Opiate" & Aenima", too. lol Sober & Undertow from Undertow, Aenima & Stinkfist from Aenima. Great albums, headbanger.

Ice-cubes, beer cooler, condensation, low dew point - you scare me. :) Maybe i should move to dry ice cooling, afterall. lol jk I have alot of things to learn i see. Time to Google for answers again.... Anyway, i'll search for Swiftech & other brands you & jmke talked about & let you know which one suits me best & also ask what better alternatives you can give, if any. Thanx again.

Edited by xanlord

Massive TOOL fan, eh ? Aenima, Undertow ? Man, i need to start all over again.... I have "Undertow" only !!! FFS, i loved "Opiate" & Aenima", too. lol Sober & Undertow from Undertow, Aenima & Stinkfist from Aenima. Great albums, headbanger.

Ice-cubes, beer cooler, condensation, low dew point - you scare me. :) Maybe i should move to dry ice cooling, afterall. lol jk I have alot of things to learn i see. Time to Google for answers again.... Anyway, i'll search for Swiftech & other brands you & jmke talked about & let you know which one suits me best & also ask what better alternatives you can give, if any. Thanx again.

Man you need to dip into Lateralus and 10,000 days....both incredible albums and insane live shows. in 06/07 I saw them 7 times lol.

Opiate's "Part of Me" is about as intense as it gets though. Great LP.

Lateralus & 10,000 days... Heard of these 2. 10,000 have being recommended to me by my lil sis, would you beleive it ? lol Also 7 times - now that's an obsession !!! Keep the spirit.

BTW : "Part of Me" is by far one of my fav tracks from that LP. :D

Oops, just noticed this thread is in danger of becoming the TOOL discussion thread all of a sudden. rofl Great to bring back the good headbanger memories, though. Then again - i'm still headbanger, so what do i talk about ? lol

Back to topic : Swiftech H20-220 Apex Ultima should do the trick for almost completely cooling both Northbridge & CPU ? I might ask few people in PC stores for that one. Thanx for info in advance & thanx for sharing the TOOL info. Stay in touch.

P.S. The forum's name i participate for now is FullyMetal.com If you familiar with it, search MetaLForLife name. That one is me. :) If i'll recall about another metal forum i have being suggested to visit i'll also let you know. Deal ? :) Take care, dude.

*EDIT*

Just saw you replied before me jmke. Really ? Ok, once i'll purchase both CPU & cooling kit i'll start tweaking & let you know if i had any success with it, or something along those lines. Great info & thanx. Stay in touch, too.

Edited by xanlord

Swiftech H20-220 Apex Ultima is a great kit. I started out with it and just ended up tweaking it out. I use the Bitspower POM edition 5 1/4" bay res due to a space issue, and I also use 2 120mm 2000rpm Ultra Kaze fans on the rad. The thing about the Swiftech rads is that they are slim and it is not as efficient as you may need for some hardcore overclocking. Just my thoughts.

The thing about the Swiftech rads is that they are slim and it is not as efficient as you may need for some hardcore overclocking. Just my thoughts.

How hardcore ? More than 1GHz overclock is a no go ? That hardcore ? You can suggest something better ? I would appreciate this. Also i want to buy a complete kit, that way i'll know that it will have one stable & hopefully lowered price, than buying the parts which in turn cost me much more - taxes, remember ? lol If not swiftech, than anything else. I'm dead serious when it comes down to 1.5GHz overclock. (i repeat - 3.0GHz default to 4.5GHz overclock) Any good kit will be sufficient.

If it can handle just shy of a 2ghz overclock on my 920 (2.66ghz to 4.57ghz) then it'll handle the AMD...if you can find one that will hit that overclock in the first place :) I do recommend getting some 80+CFM 120mm fans for the rad though, which brings me to another point.

If your ambient room temperature is more than 25C, no rad will help you hit those clocks. You will need chilled water, DI or LN2.

...which brings me to another point.

If your ambient room temperature is more than 25C, no rad will help you hit those clocks. You will need chilled water, DI or LN2.

That is the consideration. I don't really know anything about ambient temp in my room. Time to take those measurments as well. But i beleive it's in the 20+C range......

Chilled water ? Might think of it. As far as i concerned i need to do one giant ice cube on daily basis, 24/7. rofl Tell me what info to Google for concerning constant 24/7 cooling of no more than 40C for CPU & 20C for chipset. Or better yet suggest the best kit, based on what i just said. And remember i not yet ready to rob myself on LN2. :)

I googled for the info concerning the water cooling kits to overclock X4 940 upto 4.5GHz few days/ a week or so ago & found the info on that exact VapoChill LS you are talking about !!!! That thing (VapoChill LS) is OLD !!! Dating back to 2004 or 2005 ! Tubes could be overheat if the guys at that site would overvolt above 1.58v or 1.65v !!! I think it was TechPowerUp or Anandtech, not sure. But they did managed to hit 4.2GHz or maybe it was 3.8GHz, more in the later range. I want to hit 4.5GHz for starters & leave the room for possibly 5.0/5.2GHz freq. Talk to me, TOOL'er/overclocker. lol Thanx for the info, nevertheless.