HWBOT Community Forums

8700k Overclocked to 4900MHz @ 1.27v No stability issues while gaming or other benchmark tests, but up to 12k Prime95 stress test had 1 error. Would I be just fine to leave it for everyday tasks and gaming or should I up the voltage a little more? Just realized I think my water/in/out is backwards from the picture as well...

OC4900.png

For 24/7 use on ambient cooling, you want to stay in the voltage range based on this curve:

1520mv - (2.1 mOhm * IOUT)

IOUT <=138A

If you're using fixed voltage in BIOS + Loadline calibration, then you need to first know your current draw.
Once you find that, plug your current draw into the top formula where IOUT is a variable and you will get your absolute max safe vcore.

Then you can calculate what bios voltage you should be running to stay below that max safe voltage point like this:

Bios set voltage - (LLC mOhms * IOUT)=load voltage.

LLC mOhms is based on a starting value of 2.1 multiplied by a percentage, with lower numbers meaning less vdroop.  Intel spec is 2.1 mOhms of vdroop (1.6 mOhms for 9900k/9700k)

So 50% reduced vdroop is 1.05 mOhms.  This is Level 5 LLC on Asus boards and LLC=Turbo on Gigabyte and 50% reduced vdroop on eVGA.

If your motherboard supports current monitoring via Asus EC or VRM monitoring by VR VOUT, then you can get Current from HWinfo64 easily.

And you can use VR VOUT for accurate load voltage and cross reference it with the top formula.  That's all there is to it.

You get difficulties on boards that do not have "Die-sense" vcore readings and no amps (current) monitoring.  That i can't help with.

Asus recommends about 1.35v Bios set with LLC6 or 1.40v Bios set with LLC5 on their boards.

I'm not trying to go for max overclocks. Already ran this chip up to 5.3GHz. Delidded on a custom dual 560mm loop. 4900MHz to 5GHz is the point where I really have to start bumping up the vcore from 1.27~ range to about 1.33v to be stable (1.32v used to be stable...) and +100MHz performance is negligible and I'd rather trade off for lower vcore and temps. Asus Maximus Hero X WiFi board using LLC 5. I'm unsure if a positive vdroop or negative is better, but I prefer using the LLC that doesn't push the vcore above my desired set voltage. 

For that formula then would it be something like 1270mv - (1.05 mOhms * IOUT) = max vcore? 

1.275v = 1275mv, LLC5 =1.05 mOhms 

IOUT = cpu current draw in amps during max load I take it? So During Prime95 small fft I reached 70c max and 114A (114A*1.275v = 145W~)

I increased to 1.275, reaching 1.28 on full load. So: 1280 - (1.05 mOhms * 114A) = 1280 - 119.7 = 1160.3mv or 1.160v ?

So from the math and what you're saying I shouldn't be going above 1.160v at 4900MHz?

Anyway I bumped iup the vcore .05v and Prime95 is now stable after 35 minutes.

Edited by Ghettochild_2600