HWBOT Community Forums

EVGA SR2...

Phill

Guest TheMadDutchDude

A few older bits? Your house is somewhat a museum of old hardware!! LOL. :D

The technical bit you're looking for is dual QPI links. I7s only have one and Xeon's have two. That's what makes them able to speak to one another and work together :)

A museum of hardware it is but I wouldn't have it any other way!! :D

Thanks for the clear up mate, I couldn't remember what the heck it was called lol Been a while since I looked into this... Now to see if I can find some hex cores....

this ar al the hexa cores on the market thad works on the sr-2

Intel Xeon L5638

Intel Xeon L5639

Intel Xeon L5640

Intel Xeon L5645

Intel Xeon E5645

Intel Xeon E5649

Intel Xeon X5650

Intel Xeon X5660

Intel Xeon X5670

Intel Xeon X5675

Intel Xeon X5679

Intel Xeon X5680

Intel Xeon X5690

Edited by skulstation

what are the differences between the L, E and X series?

EDIT with a bit of help from Google....

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/281376-28-what-difference-xeon-series-processors

L = Thermal design power (expected power draw with a 100% CPU load running normal software) of 60 watts or less. These are the "low voltage" chips.

E = TDP of 80 watts. Intel refers to the Xeon 5500/5600s with this letter prefix as the "basic" line and as a result, the idle power draw on these chips is frequently worse than any of the other series of chips, despite the other chips possibly having a higher full-load power draw.

X = TDP of 95 watts. These are the "premium" mainstream chips as their TDP is not so excessive that they are difficult to cool in a rack server, yet their idle power consumption is far lower than the E-series chips.

W = TDP of 130 watts and higher. These are the fastest, hottest Xeons made and they are designed to be used in workstations and pedestal servers with better cooling than an average 1U or 2U rack server.

Edited by Phill
With help from Google, answered my own question!! :D

Found some of the slowest 6 cores cpu's. They are pretty cheap compared to the model up and the top models, but wow are they massively cheap compared to buying new...

If I can get the board and if it's in mint condition with it box etc, then I will buy it.. I might try to sell the quad cores to re-coup some money but failing that, I'd keep them spare.. Also found some 2000Mhz ram as well, so just waiting to see what will happen :D

Ram - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Corsair-12GB-3X4GB-DDR3-2000Mhz-DOMINATOR-GT-FAN-Memory-Kit-CL9-1-65V-/360970939794?pt=UK_Computing_ComputerComponents_MemoryRAM_JN&hash=item540b8b6d92 x 2

CPU X 5650 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271431971344?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

CPU X 5680 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271556465023?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 - Too rich for my blood!!

Just need two water blocks now and I think we are away :) Just need to check the fittings on the motherboard as well for power supplies... Not sure what it needs!!

Excited isn't the word :D

Edited by Phill

You need a psu whit minimium 2x 8pin and 24pin to run the bord.

and if you gone oc you also need 2x 6pin pci-e power conectors, i don't know if it runs on high oce whitout.

Never traid to run on oc settings whitout the extra pci-e power.

and if running multi gpu's agen a 6pin pci-e power conector

Whit 3x 580's you gone need to run multi psu's.lack of pci-e power connectors 3 for the bord and 6 if i am not wrong for the gpu's.

or if you gone run molex to pci-e convertors or splitters it is maybe possibel, but then you gone hit klose or over 1200w

Edited by skulstation

• 3 weeks later...

I've decided not to bother with one, I think I have enough hardware here now :lol:

With people telling me they are a pain in the bottom to get working and so on and with the prices up at the £1000 mark, I think I'll be investing in newer tech not older tech :) More builds to get sorted anyways :)