HWBOT Community Forums

Very bizarre issue with Turbo on my laptop...

Guest TheMadDutchDude

Guest TheMadDutchDude

Hey guys,

I've found something really weird. When the laptop isn't plugged in, it will turbo to its max frequency of 2GHz, or 2.3GHz single threaded. When plugged in however, it will only go to its native speed of 1.4GHz. It used to go to 2GHz before though. I've not changed anything.

The chip in question is an i5-2537M. It used to turbo to 2GHz in multithreaded apps before, but no more. Very weird. :(

I've checked all power settings multiple times, reset the BIOS a number of times and also a fresh install of Windows to see what is up.

I'm completely at a loss here.

Has anyone come across this before and more importantly, how the heck do I fix it?

Thank you! :D

Edited by TheMadDutchDude

Guest TheMadDutchDude

This BIOS is far from detailed. It's locked down in every which way possible. It doesn't show the AC adapter or anything, no battery stats, literally nothing. LOL.

Anyway. I've found the "solution."

When I boot the laptop, it is seemingly stuck at 1.4GHz, but if I put the machine to sleep and then wake it up again, it boosts to 2GHz continuously, with the occasional bump to 2.3GHz. This is on either the battery or on the AC power.

I'm not entirely sure why it does this, but hey ho. It works now! :D

It may be purely down to the CPU that's in here, but I wouldn't think so. It was originally an i5-2450M which I replaced with an i5-2537M. Before you ask, yes, it is a BGA chip in a PGA laptop. There were a few of these chips floating around on eBay where someone had soldered them to a PGA PCB and therefore I can now use the BGA chip in my PGA laptop. Pretty neat, no? :D

Edited by TheMadDutchDude

• 2 weeks later...