HWBOT Community Forums

quick question from a noob

deafandy

1st post, hello :)

haven't figured my way round this place yet, so i thought I'd just blurt out my question and hope someone could point me in the right direction...

what's the current CPU record for overclocking a 4790K without going below zero celsius?

thanks in advance

andy / tech-wreck

When you look up a processor, you can also toggle different types of cooling. While water cooling doesn't guarantee above-ambient cooling, it's very likely. Looks like the record is 5600MHz:

http://hwbot.org/benchmark/cpu_frequency/rankings?hardwareTypeId=processor_3621&cores=4#start=0#interval=20#coolingType=3

http://hwbot.org/submission/2937238_don_matto_cpu_frequency_core_i7_4790k_5600_mhz

When you look up a processor, you can also toggle different types of cooling. While water cooling doesn't guarantee above-ambient cooling, it's very likely. Looks like the record is 5600MHz:

http://hwbot.org/benchmark/cpu_frequency/rankings?hardwareTypeId=processor_3621&cores=4#start=0#interval=20#coolingType=3

http://hwbot.org/submission/2937238_don_matto_cpu_frequency_core_i7_4790k_5600_mhz

thankyou :D

i intend to smash 6GHz, btw; cue laughter :)

i enjoy being told that something can't be done.

challenge accepted :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, your plan is to push 4790K to as high as 6.0Ghz with ambient air/liquid cooling, isn't it?

You claim you used to make a lot impossibles become possible. However, this time, I don't think you can win if you are challenging physics, aka the King of Science. xD

consider yourself corrected. i said 'above zero' and by that i mean 'just above the Dew point'.

i have no beef with the king of science, but if 5.6GHz is the record for ambient limited watercooling, then i'm confident that 6 is possible with chilled water.

or, all that liquid will come in handy for putting out the fire...

I'm confused, you want to do it with 'above Dew Point' cooling, or chilled water? Assuming 25degreeC room temp with 50%(+-3%) relative humidity, then Dew Point is 13.86 (+-0.9)degreeC, I believe chilled water is definitely below Dew Point.

Besides, I'm certain current record of 5.6Ghz already invokes pumping icy water or blowing chilled air to keep CPU as cool as possible. Also, you didn't make yourself clear, you simply want 6.0Ghz validation for a few seconds, or you'd like to do some light bench @ 6.0Ghz?

ambient temperatures are nowhere near 25c (the house is well insulated and when the central heating is on it's never above 19), and i can control the humidity.

coolant temperature will be around 4-5 Celsius, like the milk in your fridge, i'd say that was chilled.

and the tables aren't that clear, or i missed the bit that says 'stable' or 'unstable'. either way i'm aiming for the stars...

my target is still 6GHz, and failure is always an option. apart from failing to try, that does not compute.

In order to hit 6.0ghz, you will need a very good 4790K, not sure how golden your chip is. On the other hand, I think your chance is low with a random chip.

and that right there is the only variable i have no control over, hopefully the lovely people at intel can help with that part...

que cera, cera.