HWBOT Community Forums

EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SSC GAMING ACX 2.0+ Need help with overclocking

Hi everyone.

I need some help.

Yesterday I bought a video card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SSC GAMING ACX 2.0+

P/N: 02G-P4-2966-KR. For CHALLENGER 2016 DIV II ROUND 2 :D After my old MSI R9 270x Gaming 2G.

And first of all i want to overclock it to make some good somitions. But I can make only +40MHz core overclock (1319/1382(boost)). If I setup higher frequency - videocard is fail.

I make my tests in 3DMark 11. I try to use different drivers and systems, try to change the VGA BIOS switch from slave to master, but have the same result. :-(

Oh, after fails gpu-z does not property recognize the videocard, and Afterburner (and others programms) too.

Here is the screenshots after fail:

b6a11504d7a0.jpg

c69621b5ba73.jpg

Please help me to overclock this ...videocard.

P.S. Sorry for my English.

• 2 weeks later...

I found a strange regularity. In hard tests like Catzilla 4k, 1440, 1080 and 3Dmark 11 Extreme I may set my gpu core clock on +60 from nominal. But in lower tests like Catzilla 576p, 720p and 3DMark 11 Basic I must make lower frequency, like +20-30 from nominal, or I have driver crash.

I don't like to use a UNgine Haven to benchmark, because I don't have a such resolution display. My display have only 1440x900 resolution.

Try 365.19 or newset with gpuz 0.8.8 and see if your graphic card is detected normal. Some benchmarks are "heavier" than others, thats why they need lower clock speeds.

Use PrecisionX (latest) for overclocking your card.

Edited by Demac

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Freedom,

First of all, uninstall all drivers (amd or nvidia) from you CPU. Then download the latest Nvidia drivers. Demac is right, some benchmarks are heavier than others and might crash during the benchmark, just need to see your logs in GPU-Z and see why is it crashing.

Also all GTX 960, can Overclock easy over 1500+ Mhz in core and 1900+ Mhz in Mem.

My MSI GTX 960 GAMING with TDP@118%, TEMP@95, +180 CORE, +650 MEM was getting 1568 MHZ at boost, using MSI Afterburner. All cards are different some OC better than other ... but all GTX 960 can OC 1500+ from what I've seen ..

Check out this review https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_960_Gaming/1.html

Hope it helps

Demac, MAXKING Thanks guys.

I will try to log crashes.

And also have a strange:

Did 3DMark Ice Storm score depend only from memory clock?

On stock core clock I have better score, and when I overclock core clock - I have lower score. And also I have better score when I overclock only memory.

Demac, MAXKING Thanks guys.

I will try to log crashes.

And also have a strange:

Did 3DMark Ice Storm score depend only from memory clock?

On stock core clock I have better score, and when I overclock core clock - I have lower score. And also I have better score when I overclock only memory.

I've never used 3DMark Ice Storm, but the website says this:

"Use 3DMark Ice Storm to compare basic tablets and smartphones. Ice Storm includes two Graphics tests to measure GPU performance and a Physics test to stress CPU performance. Ice Storm uses DirectX 11 feature level 9 on Windows. On Android and iOS, it uses OpenGL ES 2.0. You can compare scores across platforms"

It's mainly for tablets and smartphones...