HWBOT Community Forums

Pascal Overclocking In depth (La preffessinale only)

Hi,

Currently there is no option to unlock TDP for Pascal cards. BUT, when you game and msi afterburner displays that even at 2000mhz the card is not reaching its max tdp of 120% (lets say it is at 105%). Now, if you push the card`s frequency further, it just does not increase...

Why is that happening? Shouldn`t the max frequency be falling off only when you reach the max TDO limit set in bios. Games do work differently, but still, interesting to find it out.

Hi,

Currently there is no option to unlock TDP for Pascal cards. BUT, when you game and msi afterburner displays that even at 2000mhz the card is not reaching its max tdp of 120% (lets say it is at 105%). Now, if you push the card`s frequency further, it just does not increase...

Why is that happening? Shouldn`t the max frequency be falling off only when you reach the max TDO limit set in bios. Games do work differently, but still, interesting to find it out.

First your thread title is misleading.

Secondly there is more than one way to rise the Power Limit of Pascal, there are Shunt-mods, several other resistor mods and the XOC Bios (1080Ti), which fully unlocks the safety precautions Nvidia has built into the bios....

And if you just reach 105% of the 120% Power Limit, that just simply means your load on the GPU isn't high enough... Try something in 4k like Fire Strike Ultra for example, i'm pretty sure you will reach instantly the 120% and a permanent power limiting state where your clocks fluctuate like crazy.

In addition, the cards frequency is also "falling down" as you call it when temperatures surpass different thresholds, ~37°C, ~42°C, ~52°C and some more, i hope you get it at this point. And the clocks decrease in 12.5MHz bins each temperature threshold. This is how GPU Boost 3.0 works.

I hope this clarifies the situation for you, no "preffessinale" needed for that, its no sorcery ;-)

Edited by Hulio

That is completely not what I asked, lol

Than make sure it is understandable what you write down, because my answer is answering exactly what you are describing in the first post.

Be as specific as needed, otherwise no one will be able to answer or to help.