HWBOT Community Forums

GTX 1080 SLI help/advice

James7679

Hi, hoping I can get some good tips on tweaking my setup to maximize SLI performance for both benchmarks and gaming. I do understand the current state of SLI, but obviously quite a few people have figured out how to manipulate some settings to have great in game and benchmark improvements. I have been researching some things I can do, but am unsuccessful.

My setup is:

AsRock z270 Taichi

7700k @5.1 w/4.7 cache

1.404 max vcore under AVX, AVX offset is 0

3600mhz 1.38 16, 18, 18, 36, 2t

Samsung 950 EVO PRO 500gb

EVGA FTW 2 1080

EVGA FTW 1080

Before I got the FTW 2, my FTW would do 2150/5800 no problem. Now, with both of them, I can barely manage +90/0.

Firestrike score is 23292

Superposition 1080p extreme 8531

Timeapy won't complete

Catzilla doesn't seem to use both cards

Doom 2016, no increase

BF1, no increase

NVCP is set to max performance, Vsync off, power mode is prefer max perf

W10 power plan is PCIe link state off, power savers all on, max CPU 100%, min CPU 0%

My clock is 100% stable w/a fresh Conductonaut delid.

GPU temps, are kinda high, #1 hits mid 70s, #2 never goes over 62. I haven't quite figures out how to build a power/fan curve in MSI AB.

I know this is a lot, but I'm hoping someone who's walked this road can give me some solid info.

Thank you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Your issue might not be wattage but rather amps depending on your 12v rail. I just looked up the specs on your PSU and I guess you have the option of using either one rail or multi-rail by flipping a switch. Make sure you are using one rail mode or you won't get the full 80 amps out of your PSU and by looking at the spec sheet you most certainly won't be having a lot of fun if you are configured for multi-rail.

Also, I know that 850w sounds like a lot but when you start overclocking anything you'd be surprised how quick you can run out of power. I have a similar system to you except I'm running two 1080 Ti versions and as soon as I modded my two Strix cards and started upping the voltage and overclocking them combined with my fairly high overclock on my CPU combined with my extra power from the extra volts to my memory, etc.and 850 wouldn't be enough. had the same card you currently have (1080 FTW - not FTW2) by the way, really great card but there is a reason why it has two 8pin power connectors compared to most cards which have an 8 pin and a 6 pin ;-)

Nevertheless, if you say it isn't using more than 600w I believe you. But is it possible that with only a gold efficiency rating that might be an issue? I have a SuperNOVA T2 1600w with 133 amps just for comparison. I had to add a second PSU to my system to accommodate the watercooling, RGB lighting, etc. not because I didn't have enough wattage but because I kept blowing the breaker and had to split up my power by running it from two different circuits.

The only other thing I can think of is that possibly with different BIOS strings the nvidia driver might be doing something stupid behind the scenes. I know they are technically identical cards but if the driver doesn't think they are who knows what kind of logic will be deployed.

What about your SLI bridge? Is it the old style or newer High Speed bridge?

Just thinking out loud.

- Marco

Your issue might not be wattage but rather amps depending on your 12v rail. I just looked up the specs on your PSU and I guess you have the option of using either one rail or multi-rail by flipping a switch. Make sure you are using one rail mode or you won't get the full 80 amps out of your PSU and by looking at the spec sheet you most certainly won't be having a lot of fun if you are configured for multi-rail.

Also, I know that 850w sounds like a lot but when you start overclocking anything you'd be surprised how quick you can run out of power. I have a similar system to you except I'm running two 1080 Ti versions and as soon as I modded my two Strix cards and started upping the voltage and overclocking them combined with my fairly high overclock on my CPU combined with my extra power from the extra volts to my memory, etc.and 850 wouldn't be enough. had the same card you currently have (1080 FTW - not FTW2) by the way, really great card but there is a reason why it has two 8pin power connectors compared to most cards which have an 8 pin and a 6 pin ;-)

Nevertheless, if you say it isn't using more than 600w I believe you. But is it possible that with only a gold efficiency rating that might be an issue? I have a SuperNOVA T2 1600w with 133 amps just for comparison. I had to add a second PSU to my system to accommodate the watercooling, RGB lighting, etc. not because I didn't have enough wattage but because I kept blowing the breaker and had to split up my power by running it from two different circuits.

The only other thing I can think of is that possibly with different BIOS strings the nvidia driver might be doing something stupid behind the scenes. I know they are technically identical cards but if the driver doesn't think they are who knows what kind of logic will be deployed.

What about your SLI bridge? Is it the old style or newer High Speed bridge?

Just thinking out loud.

- Marco

Yeah, it's running in single rail mode. I managed to get Timespy and Nvidia Inspector to start working. Turns out Shadowplay breaks them for me. After I got Timespy working I bumped my GPU clocks +100 and full power consumption never went past 630w. That was with all fans screaming and my 5.1ghz cpu clocks. I know that if I were to run, say, Furmark and P95 at once, I MIGHT pull around 775 watts, might. AFAIK, there's no real world scenario that I would be subject to, that would force my CPU, RAM and GPU's to run full steam, in synchronicity.

Sounds like you got things sorted? Just out of curiosity - how are you measuring your power output?

Multimeter at the PSU and digital gauge at the wall. I checked it under various loads and made an offset curve for Corsair Link and Hwinfo. Amazingly, they are pretty damn accurate.

I went thru exactly what you did and was so happy I found that app, maybe there is a better way but it's the only thing that worked for me. Plus it works without internet. Glad you got it going.

I'm sorry, what app?