HWBOT Community Forums

Calling 3Dfx Gurus

Oj0

Hey guys, I need some info. I have a few questions that have conflicting reports and need someone who has the cards, had the cards, or has intimate knowledge with the cards to assist.

My questions are as follows:

- Voodoo 4 4200 - was this VSA-100 (Napalm) or VSA-101 (Daytona/Napalm2)?

- Voodoo 4 4800 - was this VSA-100 (Napalm) or VSA-101 (Daytona/Napalm2)? What was the TDP?

- Spectre 1000 - Was the gate count 18 million or 25 million? What was the die size? Was it DirectX 7 (I see many reports of this) or 8 (as it had PS1.1 support)?

- Spectre 2000 - What was the total board TDP with the Sage and Rampage chips combined? Was the gate count 18 million or 25 million for the Rampage? What was the Sage gate count? What was the die size for both chips? Was it DirectX 7 (I see many reports of this) or 8 (as it had PS1.1 support)?

- Spectre 3000 - What was the total board TDP with the Sage and both Rampage chips combined? Was the gate count 18 million or 25 million for the Rampage? What was the Sage gate count? What was the die size for both chips? Was it DirectX 7 (I see many reports of this) or 8 (as it had PS1.1 support)?

I'm not hopeful for info, but at the same time I am.

Hard questions :)

I think at some point there was planned 16MB VSA-100 board, possibly it could have been called V4 4200 (but was canceled and never released, like V5 5000). The Daytona based V4 are called V4-2 4200 I believe. But I have no idea if that is oficial name or community given.

V4 4800 should be the never released 64MB / DVI / TV-out AGP VSA-100 board. And also 32MB / DVI / TV-OUT PCI VSA-100 board. IIRC TDP for V4 4500 is ~15W, so it should be very similar here, maybe 17-18W.

Some also say Rampage has 30 milion transistors, but who knows, anyway 18 milion seems to low for 4pp DX8 chip. VSA-100 is 2pp DX6/7 and has 14 milion. Die size is unknown as far as I know. Rampage chip should support only PS 1.1. Vertex shader (and TnL) was implemented in the Sage chip.

I think Spectre cards were planned +/- like this:

Spectre 1000 = 1x Rampage, 4pp, PS 1.1, 128-bit DDR, 32-64MB

Spectre 2000 = 1x Rampage, 1x Sage, 4pp, PS 1.1, VS, 128-bit DDR, 64MB

Spectre 3000 = 2x Rampage, 8pp, 1x Sage, PS 1.1, VS, 256-bit DDR, 128MB