HWBOT Community Forums

Volt mod board

PKKShadow

Hi there! I was directed to this subforum to post a survey for interest on a volt mod pcb a friend and I created. The files for the board are open source and on my github page. If anyone wants them, just let me know and If allowed, I will post the link to them.

https://forms.gle/SsqLTnhwMYSPTzk48

This survey is just to gauge interest in this product to see if you all would like to own one. The email collection is to inform those who take this survey of when they go into production and other news related to the vmod board. It will not be used for any other reasons nor be given out to anyone.

In the survey before the render of the board, there is a short description of what it is for and why it was made.

(moderators/admins sorry if this isn't allowed, I understand if this is removed)

1.PNG

Decided to ask some other members about this thing. I forgot to add what it does, why you would use it, and how to use it.

This is for FB (feed back) mods. What this board allows is for cleaner mods on a graphics card or motherboard. Having the trim pots off the card/mobo removes the need for gluing the pots and or switches to the modded device which gives you more space for coolers or additional cards or even more insulation. While yes they are small and most often out of the way, this will allow the mod to look cleaner and be less of a pain to hookup with less guessing which switch leg or pot leg you need.

It also has spots for the 3 wire voltage meters you commonly see on amazon, ebay, banggood, or similar sites. Oh! There is one ground wire so you don't have to run several of them for each switch/trim pot. The board can be powered via usb or soldered on cable that supplies 2.5-30v (this is the range of voltage the mini volt meters use.) As you can see in the image above, there are four holes. Those are M3 sized holes so you the user can attach it to something like cardboard or a small piece of wood for secure mounting of the board.

Edited by PKKShadow

I would want something like that if it were more "finished". With features like...

Terminals for wiring, instead of having to solder wires to it. Possibly spring loaded clamp, friction fit(pins), or screw type terminals. So you could just plug/unplug wires to it. Makes it more easily usable and reusable. Actually...terminals for everything. Make it so everything can be plugged/unplugged. Except things like the caps, resistors, switches, USB connector and the LED. Which should all be preinstalled. It would be cool to be able to swap trimmers and add or remove voltage meters plug and play style(without soldering). I'd also like at least 2 more circuits on the board. Just 4 is too limiting(I don't want 2 boards, I want 1 that I can have my mobo and GC wired to). I'm sure this would all add considerably to the cost. But I'd be willing to pay extra for the added convenience.

I mention this because that's basically how I wire all my volt mods. Everything gets wired with bullet style disconnects. Wire soldered to board/IC > female bullet disconnect > male bullet disconnect > wire soldered to trimmer. I don't use switches because...disconnects. My boards all have leads with female disconnects, and my trimmers all have leads with male disconnects(and are never glued to the modded device). I love it like that. Everything is easily plug and play usable/reusable. And as far as the little voltage meters, I don't use those either. I just solder a wire to the voltage read point with a female bullet disconnect on the other end. Then use my DMM.

Edited by MrGenius

That's the plan with the trim pots. To have some sockets of sorts so it's just a matter of finding the correct pots and you can plug them in. The vmm meters can either be supplied by me (not likely for now) or the user can just buy them of off ebay or other sites and solder them in.  And four is what's there now, I do have a 2 spot version, but 4 is slightly more efficient to manufacture.

I could do terminals for stuff, but I don't trust the connections if the board is going to be moved around a lot (I know there are holes for mounting it to something.)