HWBOT Community Forums

Modding a laptop BIOS to increase GPU clocks.

Guest TheMadDutchDude

Guest TheMadDutchDude

Hey guys.

My question is simple.

Is there any way to increase laptop clocks on the GPU side of things when it is just a HD 3000 that's concerned? I've tried all of the usual software and none of it can detect the driver or hardware.

I don't really want to mod the BIOS but if that's my only option, how would I go about doing it?

Thanks in advanced. :)

Guest TheMadDutchDude

Single GPU. Only the iGPU on the CPU is present.

Extract it and mod it? How exactly? :D

Literally extract it using WinRAR or something like it and then you can access and mod files? Or do you just extract it as if you were going to flash and then open it with something else like notepad?

Ho, Intel iGPU, hum no. I thought you were talking about a discrete GPU.

Can't do that for the iGPU, it has no BIOS.

You may want to try XTU (latest version, and maybe some older).

But if laptop BIOS is locked, you can't do a lot about it. You can try mod the BIOS to unlock/unhide some options.

You can also entirely recode the BIOS :D

Guest TheMadDutchDude

I couldn't even code a potato, never mind an entire BIOS. :D

What sort of software would I require to unlock such things? I've tried searching on the net but it all seems to be for older BIOS systems. :(

The board in question is that of an ASUS K53E, a Sandy based laptop.

• Crew

Forget about it for now. I thought about working on this case but don't have time for this one. You need to mod EFI (the new word to BIOS simply speaking). In this EFI you need not the CMOS Setup menus (BIOS options as many call them) but the Management Engine region (ME).

There you need the PLL bits tto be modified for XTU to work. After that you'll need to flash your firmware (it can be locked making this a bit more tricky). Then you'll be able to change frequency via XTU. But the procedure for iGPU overclocking isn't developed yet AFAIK.

Guest TheMadDutchDude

Ahh. Balls. :D

I know it's the EFI, it's just stubborn in my mind to call it BIOS. :D

Thank you both for your help. I will probably just leave it and enjoy a longer battery life, which was the point of the switch of CPUs anyway. I'll stick to overclocking real hardware instead. ;)