HWBOT Community Forums

Additional Submission Filter: CPU Cooling

I am sure it's been asked, but is this something we could?

The majority of air cooling scores in multi-hardware tested benchmarks, such as 3DMark, greatly benefit by overclocked CPUs. The ones with greatest overclocked advantages are non-air cooled CPUs. Many of the leaders on air right now are using LN2, Single Phase Setup, H2O, Dice, etc., and stock GPU cooling, but it's labeled as air.

I am not one for raining on their parades, even if it seems cheesy to label it as such, I just think since the 3DMark score is sorted by total points, which is heavily reliant on the CPU, it would be fair to allow ranks/sorting based off of pure Air/Fan cooling as well.

In the example attached image, not a single person in that picture is using air cooling for CPU. If that is as intended fine, but I do not see the harm in separating the two groups to allow rookies, budget cooling, or even having air as limitation, seeing how far they can push things and gauge against other pure air cooled machine.

Edited by RagingCain

if you bench in 3D stock or air.

its just the gpu's that need to be cooled whit stock or air.

its free to use what cooling you wont for the cpu.

the same gose for 2D.

if you bench stock or air.

its just for the cpu not for the gpu.

but if you ar go for sub-zero cooling you go to extreme leage

if you reali wont to search full air or full stock setup's

you will need to use the Advanced submission search

and type wich cpu and gpu you likt to know

Edited by skulstation

Don't you think that is a little inefficient, when I could just filter CPU by cooling type and compare all CPUs side by side actually using Air? If it doesn't affect current users, just creates an additional way of sorting to air-only benchmarks and runs... who would it hurt?

Considering that your overall score is primarily governed by your CPU, not your Graphics Score. It isn't strictly a 3D test is it? Unless I am missing something.

I think it would make HWBOT more approachable to newcomers personally.

Guest TheMadDutchDude

As above, you can just filter the results by selecting "air cooling" on the CPU which would filter out any result which has used anything else other than air. Unless, of course, there are submissions across the 'BOT where the wrong cooling method has been selected when uploading a result. They're just anomalies, though, and there shouldn't be too many of them. For example: someone submits a result with an LN2 cooled CPU, but has selected stock cooling as it is the default option, and they've just forgotten to change it or missed it in the uploading process.

As above, you can just filter the results by selecting "air cooling" on the CPU which would filter out any result which has used anything else other than air. Unless, of course, there are submissions across the 'BOT where the wrong cooling method has been selected when uploading a result. They're just anomalies, though, and there shouldn't be too many of them. For example: someone submits a result with an LN2 cooled CPU, but has selected stock cooling as it is the default option, and they've just forgotten to change it or missed it in the uploading process.

That option to filter CPU by cooler, is not available on CPU + GPU benchmarks such as 3DMark, which is why I have requested them.

Mistake, or purposely incorrect, benchmarks aside, I was simply requesting both filters for CPU and GPU could be added to latest versions of 3DMark/Heaven because of how CPU intensive they are.