HWBOT Community Forums

Dropping points

I'm wondering if some can help me identify which submissions of mine have been removed so i can work out what I've done wrong?

I dropped almost 20 points (i think) last week and then another 8 points in the last few days. Not sure why and I'd expect a message or notification explaining which submission and a reason but haven't had any at all since creating my account.

Thanks in advance for any assistance..

I'm wondering if some can help me identify which submissions of mine have been removed so i can work out what I've done wrong?

I dropped almost 20 points (i think) last week and then another 8 points in the last few days. Not sure why and I'd expect a message or notification explaining which submission and a reason but haven't had any at all since creating my account.

Thanks in advance for any assistance..

if you go to your profile and then go down to your wall tab and points tab you can see changes to your points. Are you in any comps that you changed places in, did you have any nice global or hardware places that could have moved down? It doesnt always have to mean that a sub was removed. Points fluctuate daily.

Thanks, i guess i thought once points were scored... They were final. I'll look into it!

no they fluctuate a lot. Like today if I score 50 points for a hardware first place and tommorrow someone beats it than I lose about 10 points, depending on what second place is worth, then your points will adjust. Also competition points are removed a year after the comp.

Your top 20 hardware and top 15 global and top 10 comp points make up your points. so if one of your top scores moves down or up your final point total will change.

it is also possible a score is blocked and you would lose points that way. But when that happens you will always receive an email telling you which score was blocked and why.

Could someone answer a few questions about point scoring please?

I understand (thanks to Strong Island) that only my top 20 hardware, top 15 global and top 10 comp points coint towards my league position, but I want to make sure I understand how the points are awarded for each submission so I don't invest my time in the wrong areas.

I had assumed that getting higher scores in more popular benchmarks won more points, but this seems to not neccesarily be the case. (i.e. getting 25th place in Fire Strike [13.8pts] would award more points than 25th place in PiFast [30.8pts]) but it doesn't... although I thought WR points would count towards league position in which case that would make sense (13.8pts + 100 for WR)?

Also, hypothetically... if I was the first person to benchmark a new CPU and obiously end up in 1st place for the hardware but that CPU then goes on to be very popular - does the number of points awarded increase as more score are submitted with the same hardware?

Sorry for the basic questions, I'm aware this shouldn't be so hard to grasp!

• Members
Could someone answer a few questions about point scoring please?

I understand (thanks to Strong Island) that only my top 20 hardware, top 15 global and top 10 comp points coint towards my league position, but I want to make sure I understand how the points are awarded for each submission so I don't invest my time in the wrong areas.

I had assumed that getting higher scores in more popular benchmarks won more points, but this seems to not neccesarily be the case. (i.e. getting 25th place in Fire Strike [13.8pts] would award more points than 25th place in PiFast [30.8pts]) but it doesn't... although I thought WR points would count towards league position in which case that would make sense (13.8pts + 100 for WR)?

Also, hypothetically... if I was the first person to benchmark a new CPU and obiously end up in 1st place for the hardware but that CPU then goes on to be very popular - does the number of points awarded increase as more score are submitted with the same hardware?

Sorry for the basic questions, I'm aware this shouldn't be so hard to grasp!

The whole points system depends on the number of submissions, so getting xth position in something with 50 subs will get more points than the same position in a bench with only 10 subs.

And yes if you were the first to bench a new cpu that later became popular and managed to keep your 1st position your points for that submission would just keep going up :)

On hardware points... You can search hardware data by CPU and GPU to find the points spread across various benchmarks. For example, a GT 755M typically has a hardware points max of 2 (not many entries), but a common card like a 980 ti, hits 40+ (tons of entries) in many benchmarks. I've found pairing older, popular GPUs with newer, faster CPUs, nets decent points. Back in the day, it seems it was a chore to hit 5mhz, now the common man can pickup a 7700K benching 5.4 and 4K DDR4. Personally, I enjoyed learning about older hardware and it's usually super cheap, the points were kind of a bonus. Best way to build a hardware score is XTU with a ton of different CPUs, that takes a lot of time or money or effort.

On global points, that's where the best equipment wins, Titan X, 1080Ti, 7700k 4x, 7350K 2x, etc., or older gens with exotic cooling, or often both.

If you're really into points, you can search by your individual components (e.g., 7700K), OC capability (e.g., 5.2ghz), and benchmarks (e.g., XTU), one by one, and see where your system should score for hardware (~20), global (~15), and WR points (0).

• Thanks 1